The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

For those of you who complain about shooting while wearing progressive lenses.

I wear progressive lenses. When I shoot pistols I use the Weaver stance which means I look out of the upper corner of my eyeglass lens. The problem is that the upper corner of the lens is distorted, plus, the top section of the lens is for long range. When I look at the front sight, I have to use the mid range.

With progressive lenses this whole process necessitates holding my head at a really awkward angle to find the correct portion of the lens.

I had toyed with the idea of just getting some glasses corrected for mid range, but then I wouldn't be able to see the target. Or much of anything else for that matter.

So my optometrist configured a pair of glasses specifically for shooting guns w/iron sights. Both lenses are corrected for long range, but he inserted something called a "golfer's segment" in the upper corner of one lens. This is a circle that's corrected for mid range and it works great.

I tried it yesterday on a Combat Commander, a Mark 4/Series 70, and a Sig 716. All with iron sights. It makes all the difference in the world.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Punisher_1

What was the approximate cost of the new glasses? I'm also tired of the head roll trying to focus the sights at different angles.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:13 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

I already had the frames. The lenses (space age/tri vex something) were $260 before insurance reimbursement. They estimated insurance would pay for ~$70, hence my cost would be ~$190. They are available for considerably less. It depends upon the lens material, etc.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
rebs

I too would be interested in this and the cost involved.
The problwm I have is when I use the bi focal section to see the sight clear the target is extremely blurry and if I use the mid strength section the sight and target are both blurry. If I use the upper section the target is clear but the sights are blurred to a point of unusable.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
bumnote

I did something similar with my last pair. I found progressives a PITA for driving and shooting, and thankfully my optometrist is also a shooter. I explained to him what and how I shoot and he configured my bifocals to suit my needs. I too went with the trivex lens, traditional bifocals. I only use them for shooting since, thankfully, my prescription didn't change and the progressives can still be used at work.
I only need corrective lens for reading...anything beyond the length of my arm and I can still see great. But with the glasses set up correctly my farsighted vision is amazing...a good optometrist is a nice thing to have.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:45 PM   #6
royal barnes

I got tired of trying to shoot CAS matches with my progressive lenses. I had a pair of shooting glasses made with my mid range prescription in high impact polycarbonate. Most of our targets are of ample size and set with pistol targets at 7 yards and rifle at 15-25. This lens setup gives me clear rear and front sights, particularly the front, for both types of firearms. The target is a little blurred but not enough to cause misses. I can still read with them as long as I put my arms at full extension. I used some existing frames and the lenses were $90.00.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:10 PM   #7
FoghornLeghorn

Here's the lens concept. Instead of the outside lower (for a golfer), mine is in the inside upper corner for my shooting stance when I use iron sights. It's the best solution I've used.

Old February 12, 2013, 10:30 PM   #8
yojeffo

My peronal solution....laser sights. No big deal. No fancy optics. Works in the dark. Can't lose it. No need to make a fashion statement.
HK P7K3
Old February 13, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
peronal solution
And someday maybe you can explain what the heck is a "peronal" solution.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

I wear progressives and thought about that.

However, I figure that if I ever have to use the gun, I won't be wearing specialized competition glasses. So I decided to just shoot matches in my everyday glasses.

But I'm tempted to get specialized ones.

I dunno?
Old February 13, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
g.willikers

For us cheapskates, try this:
Two identical style glasses from the drugstore, with two strengths.
One allows clear vision close, like of the sights, and the other a clear vision of distance, like the targets.
Switch lenses between the two, so the close lens is for the dominant eye and the far lens is for the other.
Assuming, of course, you only have two eyes.
Somehow the brain adjusts and both far and near are quite clear.
And no fuzzy spots.
It really works, too.
No kidding.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:42 PM   #12
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Somehow the brain adjusts and both far and near are quite clear.
That does not work for all people. I discussed that option with my optometrist and he said a significant number of people are unsuccessful.

I know that a lot of people tried that solution (viz. one eye for distance and one eye for reading) in lasik correction, and a lot of them could not adapt. The brain couldn't process the information.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:30 PM   #13
spacecoast

Try one of these, depending on your vision it really helps.

Old February 13, 2013, 05:41 PM   #14
vector91

I am shooting a lot better since I got contacts I know they may not be for everyone but just a suggestion figured I would mention it.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 07:13 PM   #15
hardworker

I have a boatload of astigmatism so my contacts make shooting a royal PITA. They have to be aligned perfectly or nothing is in focus. I prefer glasses.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:47 PM   #16
vector91

Ohh well I'm sorry or you then that does suck.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington