The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
smee78

New York 8 round revolvers?

I was thinking ,

So what will happen with people with a nice 8 shot revolver in NY if 7 rounds is max? Will this apply to revolvers? Does not affect me but I was just thinking and hoping no one else gets this stupid.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:57 PM   #2
bird_dog

I've wondered the same thing, and started a thread on it.

I'm in NY and was just about to buy a Ruger Single 10.

I won't be doing that until there's some clarity on whether or not this capacity ban affects revolvers. Right now, despite what some people are saying, the law is not very clear.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I think there is a loop hole so to speak as far as if you already own one it is legal. So far that I know it is still against the law for them to make one give up a gun that was legal at the time they bought it. Kinda like the pre ban guns that sold during the AWB from 1994 till 2004.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Gats Italian

The revolver doesn't have a detachable magazine. It doesn't meet the definition of the law.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

If you revolver has an 8rnd+ magazine, then you fall under the new law. If it doesn't (much more likely), then that law doesn't apply. I've looked at the text, and while it does mention fixed magazines, it is aimed at detetchable mags, and doesn't mention revolvers, as far as I can recall...
Old January 20, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Dave T

Sounds to me like the smart thing to do would be move to a state that still pays some attention to the Constitution...but YMMV.

Dave
Old January 20, 2013, 03:10 PM   #7
bird_dog

Quote:
The revolver doesn't have a detachable magazine. It doesn't meet the definition of the law.
"Or other feeding device" is also in the definition. Still waiting for clarity on this when the law comes out, as are many others here.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Aikibiker

Someone on Arfcom contacted the NY State Police and they were told that firearms with a fixed magazine Shotguns, SKS rifles, etc. that held more then seven rounds possessed before the passage of the law could still be possessed, but could not be loaded with more then 7 rounds.

I would guess they will say the same about 8 shot revolvers.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old January 20, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
bk42261

"feeding devices" over 7 round capacity

My son lives in NY and has an SKS.
He "thinks" that as long as his stripper clips only have 7 rounds at a time he'll be GTG, but I'm not sure how this crappy new "for the safety of our
children" law will affect these EVIL FEEDING DEVICES.
Just putting it out there.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Gats Italian

Quote:
Or other feeding device" is also in the definition. Still waiting for clarity on this when the law comes out, as are many others here.
Apparently, to the NYGOV's office, a revolver cannot be an "assault weapon" according to their FAQs on the SAFE act.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq
Old January 20, 2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Patrice

Hhmmm....The TX Attorney General has invited all freedom-loving New Yorkers to move to TX with their guns. I never thought I'd hear a Texan do anything other than attempt to discourage further yankee immigration into the state. Very strange times in which we're living.--Patrice
Old January 20, 2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Sharpsdressed Man

So an 8-round moon clip would make it illegal, but a 7 round moonclip (which would leave one chamber empty) would be legal?
Old January 20, 2013, 10:58 PM   #13
skidder

We get tons of Californians here in Montana. The problem is we're getting the ones who couldn't stand to wallow in their own mire (crime, taxes and whatnot). So the first thing they do is fight to have the laws changed to the ones they left??? They say it's for our own good, but when you ask them why they left? they simply reply, "to raise my kids in a better environment".
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 20, 2013, 11:10 PM   #14
WIN1886

So sad to hear what's happening in NY....8 shooters are awesome !

Last edited by WIN1886; January 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:14 AM   #15
bird_dog

Quote:
Apparently, to the NYGOV's office, a revolver cannot be an "assault weapon" according to their FAQs on the SAFE act.
I've seen that on the website, too. But it's still not clear about revolvers with a greater than 7 capacity.

Should hear a lot more info when the State Police hotline goes live today to answer questions.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:22 AM   #16
Mystro

Just get involved, be vocal and vote these Jack-nuts out of office.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 21, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Stukaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigMic View Post
Anybody who is so upset with that thrash in NY that they are willing to uproot to Texas is welcome here as far as I'm concerned.
Ditto
Old January 21, 2013, 09:31 AM   #18
bird_dog

!!!

Amazingly, I just got through to the NYS Police Hotline that just opened today, after multiple attempts.

I asked them about the legality of revolvers with a greater-than-7 capacity.

THEY DON'T KNOW. The officer on the phone asked someone else. They didn't know. She took my name and number and said "That is a great question, and we will call you back with an answer."

Wow. It's really bad that the State Police still don't know.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #19
carguychris

Quote:
True, but that's not necessarily the end of the debate. The main issue is whether a revolver cylinder could be considered a "large capacity ammunition feeding device", which I'll call a LCAFD for brevity.

First, the wording of the law prohibiting the new commercial sale of LCAFD's does not explicitly exempt a device that is integral with the firearm. Second, the definition of a LCAFD includes a "drum... or similar device...", which IMHO could be construed to include a revolver cylinder, but it's really hard to tell; it's unclear at this point how the NY state authorities will interpret the law.

IANAL, but AFAIK an LCAFD is supposed to be registered just like an assault weapon would be.

This has been discussed at length in L&CR in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512679
Quote:
Just what we need, a bunch of New Yorkers moving to Texas and turning Texas into New York.
Come to any suburb on the north side of DFW; they're already here.
Quote:
Wow. It's really bad that the State Police still don't know.
They can't understand the statute either.

Last edited by carguychris; January 21, 2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 21, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

Want to stay on topic. Who move where to escape tyranny is not a topic in this thread. And then you complain because people do that? How many times do we have responses to move?

Hush on that.

BTW, with a quick reading - you can have higher capacity mags in antique guns? Meaning 50 years or older. That's 1963. So Browning Hi-powers are legit if made before then? They seem evil to me. I'm confused.

SW Model 39 with 8 round mags came out before 1963.

Did I miss that you have to download and modify those mags.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:45 AM   #21
BoogieMan

Is the cylinder considered an integral part of the revolver? You could have a pocket full of cylinders just waiting to drop in. Also speed loaders could be used. This is exactly what happens when people who know nothing of a subject try to make laws regarding said subject.
One of the Legislative woman in NJ (missed her name, think it was Beck) made a comment that "I would hate to see a deer or rabbit shot with a automatic rifle". Although I would tend to agree, automatics or rifles are not legal to hunt with in NJ. Semi auto shotguns are. They are probably the most commonly used deer gun in NJ. Once again she will get to make the law.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 21, 2013, 12:13 PM   #22
Remington74

Would the speed loaders for those 8 shot revolvers be considered the "illegal" part of the story?
Old January 21, 2013, 12:19 PM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
Want to stay on topic.
But then you ask this...
Quote:
BTW, with a quick reading - you can have higher capacity mags in antique guns? Meaning 50 years or older. That's 1963. So Browning Hi-powers are legit if made before then? They seem evil to me. I'm confused... SW Model 39 with 8 round mags came out before 1963... Did I miss that you have to download and modify those mags.
Such mags are theoretically legal, yes, but according to how I read the law, the trick is that you have to somehow prove that the magazine itself (or the revolver cylinder or speedloader... on topic? ) is over 50 years old. This is kinda tricky to do with a non-serialized and often completely unmarked sheetmetal doohickey.

I pointed out in one of the L&CR threads that Luger P.08 32rd "Trommelmagazin" drum mags are apparently legal, as they have been out of production for well over 50 years.

Last edited by carguychris; January 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 21, 2013, 12:23 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh, I went slightly off but not as off as a discussion of who should move to where and why not.

Old January 21, 2013, 12:26 PM   #25
carguychris

Quote:
Is the cylinder considered an integral part of the revolver?
As I read the law, it's irrelevant. IANAL, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what the LCAFD is or isn't attached to, nor how easy or difficult it is to remove and replace; if it's an LCAFD, it's regulated, end of story.

The good news- if you can call it that- is that the LCAFD regulations have a "Curio or Relic" (or, not and!) exception for units over 50 years old, so regardless of how the regulation is finally enacted, pre-1963 rimfire 8-9 shot H&R's, High Standards, etc. should still be legal to bring into NY and won't require registration.

Last edited by carguychris; January 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: minor reword...