The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Kimio

Anti' attacking the NRA on basis of their funding?

Trying to find more information, but apparently, according to a friend, the anti's are targeting the NRA' funding, and asking why an organization such as them has so many dollars. According to him it sounds like they're trying to treat their income like those who are fighting against the worker Unions.

Please anyone with more information on this, if I am wrong, feel free to clarify.

Anyone heard about this, or is it just a bunch of "malarkey"
Old January 14, 2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Magnum Mike

AHHH! Over 4,000,000 members. The anti's are afraid of such a big amount in 1 group. Not to mention the ones that dont belong!
Old January 14, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Skans

That's because they just woke up and realized how many Americans support the NRA....and they don't like it.

I've been a member of the NRA for almost 10 years - just upgraded to a life member. I felt better about spending the money on a life membership to the NRA than I would have on a few bags of reloaded ammo.

Here is how the antis are attacking the NRA:

BALTIMORE - Do you think the National Rifle Association (NRA) should lose their tax-exempt status?

More than a thousand people have signed a petition on the White House Website asking that the non -profit status of the NRA be revoked.

Here is what the petition says:

REVOKE tax-exempt nonprofit status of NRA. Conflict of Interest - NOT promoting public safety, pursuit of personal gain.

The NRA's efforts to promote gun manufacturing and gun sales are in the interest of personal gain, NOT public benefit.

Rather than engage in discussions related to sensible and responsible ownership, they have taken advantage of tragic mass shootings and highly publicized gun deaths to make and sell more guns.

They are not serving the public, they are in it for personal gain. And that SHOULD NOT be subsidized by tax-payers.

Your signature will help DISMANTLE THE NRA!!

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/nat...#ixzz2HxOiKt00

There is no real threat of the NRA losing tax-exempt status. If they lost theirs, the labor unions, PETA, Greenpeace, and way more liberal non-profits would lose theirs as well. But, what is interesting is that this shows that the anti-gun radicals want the NRA destroyed, dismantled and will stop at nothing to try to make this happen. It also shows me that the NRA is a genuine force to be reckoned with. Politicians don't have much fear of anything, especially you and me as individuals. But, they fear the NRA - and that's a good thing!

Last edited by Skans; January 14, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4
jason_iowa

I like the things the NRA does as far as education and youth groups. As a lobby I think they do as much harm as good.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Skans

Quote:
As a lobby I think they do as much harm as good.
What do you base this statement on?
Old January 14, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
MLeake

I suspect he is referring to speakers who are sometimes less than poised and polished, and litigators who sometimes don't play well with other RKBA litigators - but I still think the good outweighs the harm.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Webleymkv

Forgive me if I don't get too worked up about one of these silly White House petitions. Afterall, we're not going to be building a Death Star anytime soon regardless of how many people signed the petition.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I hadn't heard that the NRA's funding was being attacked, but I can't say that I'm really surprised by such a report.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Apom

It's always... "I heard from a friend.."
Old January 15, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Mr.Scott

"news outlets" are running pieces on NRA funding. Heard one guy on the radio claim the NRA gets a cut from every gun, bullet, and accessory sold.
The liberals will say anything to further their emotional point of view.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:32 PM   #11
TailGator

Serious free speech and freedom of association problems with that drive. Can't imagine it flying. As Skans brought up, it would leave virtually every advocacy group open to similar action.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Kimio

Completely digging the pink text Skans lol.

Thanks for the clarification, honestly I doubted that anything would happen since the NRA contributes so much to the political campaigns of many, well, politicians.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Chirpy

That pesky Congressional Charter will get in the way of too much monkey motion. Most folks are ignorant of the NRA's genesis and mission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old January 15, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Rembrandt

FOX News reported that in the last election, the NRA spent $20 million on candidates, anti-gunner groups spent $4,000. I'm a little surprised the anti's were so cheap.