The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
checkmyswag

I know nothing about holsters.

There I said it.

Is Fobus a decent holster?

Specifically, the HK1 Paddle Holster.

This would be for potential concealed carry of a Ruger SR40.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
scottycoyote

i would put fobus in the lower middle of the pack quality wise as far as holsters go. I have a fobus ankle holster that i think is pretty decent. I think when you are talking about concealment holsters, especially on the body like iwb, that there are more comfortable choices out there
Old September 13, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Gun Chick

I'm with you.

I don't really know much about holsters either. I know there are so many different styles and there is nylon and leather. I would love some advice and knowledge on the subject. What's the best type of holster? What would you recommend? Anything else you want to tell me about holsters would be appreciated.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:13 PM   #4
scottycoyote

well to me it really comes down to the type of gun youre carrying, and what you are wearing clothes-wise. Ive seen some options specifically for women that i cant speak on but they looked like good options (theres a purse made by gun-toting mama's I believe), theres a bra type holster ive seen on youtube (seriously), etc. Most of your good holster makers offerings will leave you happy (mitch rosen, milt sparks, alessi, etc). Me personally, i pocket carry most days to work (keltec 32). I have an inside the waist holster (allows you to deep conceal and tuck in a shirt), an outside the waist band (good concealment and carries the gun higher up on your back), a smart carry rig (carries the gun in front in the crotch area), belly wrap (good for carrying when im active), and lastly an ankle holster for times like a dressed up night on the town.

you will probably end up with a drawer full of holsters, some that you use and some that seemed like a good idea lol
Old September 13, 2011, 05:21 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

Have you seen this recent related thread in another forum?...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461702
Old September 13, 2011, 07:37 PM   #6
old bear

A quality leather holster is a thing of beauty, and every quality handgun deserves to be totted in one. If you want several referrals P.M. me.

P.s remember you get what you pay for.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Gun Chick

Alright old bear that makes sense. If it's just to start out with and just until I can get something else would nylon be worth it?
Old September 14, 2011, 07:17 PM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
If it's just to start out with and just until I can get something else would nylon be worth it?
Nylon is better than no holster..... but you generally get what you pay for.

I have heard good things about Milt Sparks ..... I use a Bianchi 100..... I tried Kydex, and ...... I am not a plastic guy.

Leather, Quality leather.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Dennis1209

It's not only, "you get what you pay for", but the months wait for a quality custom made leather holster. So, if you're going to buy a new gun next year, order your holster for it now...
Old September 15, 2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Gun Chick

I guess that all makes sense. What if I don't have money to get a gun and a nice leather holster? Do you think something like this Ready Holster would work?

Last edited by Gun Chick; September 15, 2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I had to fix something
Old September 16, 2011, 03:00 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

Fobus; Youtube.com; top holsters, gear....

To answer the post about Fobus, to my understanding Fobus started in Israel for the IDF(defense forces) & the armed citizens/LE.
It's okay but I'm not thrilled with the tacky rivet design.
It looks like it could snag or scuff a lot.
Better holster brands & designs are; Kramer, www.kramerleather.com Safariland www.Safariland.com Milt Sparks www.miltsparks.com Don Hume www.donhume.com Blackhawk(started by a former US Navy SEAL) www.blackhawk.com COM Holsters www.comholsters.com Kirkpatrick Leather www.kirkpatrickleather.com El Paso Saddlery(website N/A) HighNoon Holsters www.highnoonholsters.com Galco www.galcogunleather.com Blade-tech www.blade-tech.com Bianchi, see Safariland.com, Ken Null, Alessi, DeSantis, Aker, Mernickle, Bulman.
Prices, styles & wait times(custom orders) may vary.

Most serious gun owners use unlined leather holsters and avoid cheap knock offs. Many entry level or new handgun owners buy $800-$900 firearms then stuff them in $8.00 black nylon holsters.
A firearm is NOT a toy, a prop or a fashion accessory! It can kill or seriously injury you or someone else.
The world wide web is filled with video clips of firearm discharges/accidents. Learn & understand how to use & maintain your holster(s) and use your head.
Clydefrog
Old September 16, 2011, 07:30 AM   #12
dyl

Good names mentioned above.

I usually think of holsters in categories based on modes of carry.

Since no one mentioned it:
A recently popular mode (in the last few years) of carry has been hybrid holsters: A kydex shell with a leather backing against your skin. These are usually worn Inside Waist Band (IWB) and some are adjustable for cant. The Kydex shell helps keep the holster mouth open for re-holstering while the leather backing is more comfortable on your skin than just bare polymer - especially where the back of the slide on a semi-auto would dig into your side. These holsters are usually a bit wider than your average holster (they look strange at first) but that's because by using 2 belt clips or loops set wide apart the holster won't start to change angle/rotate on you. they're usually tuck-able too. Very popular these days. Examples: Cross Breed Supertuck Deluxe, Galco King Tuck, Desantis has one (forgot the name), Shielded Holsters (seemed to have a low price and I'm considering one).

For every mode of carry you can find anything from dirt cheap to pretty darn expensive. Even pocket holsters. Sometimes you don't know if it will work for you until you try it. Sometimes the cheap works just fine (pocket holsters especially) and you'll get to know the quirks. Eventually you may end up with a pile of grips and holsters that didn't quite fit the bill - it happens to most shooting folks.

Price is usually a big deal for me. Downsides to cheap cloth/nylon holsters is that to add strength, more material is used and they can become bulky compared to a similar holster of another material. If you don't mind it's no big deal (a range holster, a hiking/backpacking holster) and after trying to carry with it you may find it works/doesn't work. If that is NOT done and material is too thin sometimes such holster can flop around a bit when you're carrying on a belt - that happened to me but on an OLD style cheap uncle Mike's that was oversized for my gun. Another thing you might want to look at when you're looking online (it's hard to tell how it'll work by the pictures) is if there are belt clips - have a look at where the metal clip is. If the holster is molded and has a built-in outline of the gun: how much of the gun is above/below the clip? It'll help show how high the gun will ride when you're carrying it. Top of the metal clip = top of your belt. The best would be to find a picture of your particular gun model IN the holster. My particular leather Don Hume IWB for a revolver rode a bit higher than necessary and dug in to my ribs with the slightest bend and printed more too. What I personally want in an IWB band holster is the pistol grip protruding and nothing but the pistol grip - but it would have to protrude high enough to get a firm firing grip on it before a draw. Some folks ride it even lower with part of the grip below the belt line for deeper carry and they knowingly sacrifice accessibility.

There is sometimes a difference between "plastic" and "kydex" in pop holster vocab (please correct me if I'm wrong folks!). Although both are probably plastics to some degree. My good friend has a fobus paddle holster which was meant to be a range holster and that "plastic/polymer" tended to be very sticky/grippy. You really had to yank on gun hard to get it out - that may have been just his holster- I'm not certain but watch out for that. Kydex is usually a bit less grippy and retention is accomplished a bit more by pressure on certain points of the gun rather than friction. Kydex can usually be user-adjust with a hair dryer.

I'd suggest reading reviews of anything you're seriously considering, and going to a gunstore/gun show with your empty firearm to test a couple out. You have to be able to say "no" though if you need to

God bless!
Old September 16, 2011, 07:34 AM   #13
dyl

Oh, and just in case you MUST try the cheapo-route once (or a few times )

please look up: Ace Case (I think cheaperthandirt has them)

and the full line o Uncle Mike's holsters. Most gun stores will have Uncle Mike's. Possibly Wally World too!
Old September 27, 2011, 02:23 PM   #14
ftttu

I know nothing about holsters.

I posted this in another thread but take a look here: http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/holsters,16.htm

They are relatively new on the block compared to what I've been using over the years.
Old September 27, 2011, 03:45 PM   #15
Edward429451

To learn about holsters, you have to start with a clean drawer for all the junky ones that looked good in the store but didn't wear so well. I have a lot more nylon holsters in the junk drawer than leather.

I prefer leather holsters. Ted Blocker, Galco, Milt Sparks.

I would stay away from Uncle Mikes holsters. They're cheap but guarenteed to make it in the holster graveyard drawer. If you thinking nylon, at least go Blackhawk if they have a model that you like.
Old September 28, 2011, 10:21 AM   #16
ScotchMan

Check out Remora holsters. They are $24.99, can be used IWB or pocket. They don't clip to anything but have an outer surface that miraculously does NOT move. So you put the gun in and stick it wherever you want and it stays there.

There is a great video on Youtube of a woman modeling it in a variety of clothes and guns, even a bathing suit. It works. I'd post the link but Youtube is blocked at work.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 28, 2011, 11:27 AM   #17
svaz

Quote:
Specifically, the HK1 Paddle Holster ... This would be for potential concealed carry of a Ruger SR40.
In my, admittedly limited, experience, paddle holster tend to stick the gun out rather than pull it in thereby making concealment more difficult.

My $0.02.
Old October 7, 2011, 07:25 AM   #18
farmerboy

Don Hume "Jitslide" is a great CC holster. It has belt loops, made of leather comes in black or brown leather. Holds gun tight and high for conceilment no straps or buttons to push for unlocking yet will hold gun great. Great price in my opinion. You can also order spare mag holders that come in same color leather.