The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 17, 1999, 11:54 AM   #1
Thirty_Handicap

I am in the market for a new Sig, in 9mm, and am trying to discern the difference between the P228, which I believe only comes in 9mm, and the P229, which comes in .357,.40, and 9mm. If both guns are in 9mm, what's the big diff?
Old June 17, 1999, 02:35 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

In a very rough description, the 228 slide is made from heavy gauge steel stampings with a pinned in breech block while the 229 slide is made by machining a solid block of steel.
Old June 17, 1999, 02:38 PM   #3
joegerardi

The P228 still has the stamped sheet metal slide, while the P229 has a stainless steel slide. The 229 has external extractor while the 228 has the internal. Most folks over on SIG-l state that the 229 is a little top heavy and that the 228 has better balance. Additionally, the slide serrations on the 228 go all the way to the top while the P229 are only half height. one benefit yo the P229 is that you can covert it to 40S&W or 357 SIG by buying new barrels and mags. The P228 is only available in 9mm.

Right now the 228 is only available to LEO and military because they're far behind on their orders. The 228 price has therefore skyrocketed.

Both however, are wonderful pistols.
..Joe
Old June 17, 1999, 02:51 PM   #4
Thirty_Handicap

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. I was able to locate a 229 in 9mm (one of two that my guy was able to find in the country) and it's on its way cross-country. I'm looking forward to it, even if it is a little "top-heavy."
Old June 17, 1999, 03:17 PM   #5
joegerardi

Thirty:
Can you tell which I favor? I tried to be as objective as I could be. I'd like to see how I succeeded
Old June 17, 1999, 03:18 PM   #6
jimmy

BTW, the P228 and 9mm P229 mags are the same SIG part number.

To my eye, the frames of these two pistols look the same, too, except for a slight difference in markings.
Old June 17, 1999, 03:31 PM   #7
Thirty_Handicap

Joe,
My guess is that you favor the 228. It was the comment about the balance being better that makes me think that, plus your reference to the "one benefit of the 229" being the ability to switch barrels on the .357/.40. Incidentally, that can't be done if you start with the 9mm. Do you have any thoughts on the 239 (my girlfriend has one)?
Old June 17, 1999, 04:13 PM   #8
joegerardi

You got it. I do favor the 228. In fact I feel it's the best SIG out there (for me.) 13 rounds, (hicaps) best grip of the lot (and all SIG grips are great!) accurate as hell (like all SIGs) and reliable. Mine's still on order. I'm getting REAL antsy.

The 239 is a great piece. I personally don't like it only because of the grips: That's a subjective observation, everyone will be different there. It's considered one of the best concealable SIGs on the market along with the 232, but it has the larger caliber. If memory serves, it also has the SS slide, so the heavier slide helps control recoil (a little, anyway.) Is hers a 9 or a .40?
Old June 17, 1999, 04:32 PM   #9
Thirty_Handicap

She has the 9. I've shot that a few times and like it a lot. The reason I like the 229 more is that the grip is incredible (probably the same grip as the 228). I can't believe how well it just fits right in my hand. I'm so new to shooting handguns (this is my first) that hopefully I won't even notice the balance thing. Talk about getting antsy, I won't be able to get mine for a couple weeks, even though it's been ordered (first it has to be shipped, then when it arrives they have to do a background check and 10 day waiting period; plus the store is 2 hours away, which means I can only get there on a weekend).
Old June 18, 1999, 02:51 AM   #10
blades67

I like the P228 better than the P229, also for subjective reasons. The P228's slide is slimmer, and IMHO, more comfortable for IWB carry. I also feel that the P228 has better balance, and is slightly lighter as well.

------------------
~Blades~
Old June 18, 1999, 08:50 AM   #11
joegerardi

Thirty:
See, I wasn't the one that said they have better balance, I only reported it! I have smaller hands, and the 228 just feels natural. I mainly shoot to kill paper, so the 9 is the best economic decision for a plinker that doubles as a self defense tool. You'll love the 229, then hate it, because it makes you want more SIGs, which will strain the old pocketbook. I'm somewhat (?) fortunate; i want the 228, know that I'll want more SIGs down the line, but more than anything I want a Bren Ten, so I have to curb the SIG addiction. The Bren is going to whack me about $1600.00, unless I can find a kind-hearted person who knows that I will keep and treasure this pistol and offer me one at a decent price
{ shameless begging OFF
}
Enjoy the 229. let us know when you get it, and what your shooting impressions are of it.