The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 3, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1
HiBC

Its not good to look back and see SMOKE!

I had the good fortune to do a little dove hunting this last weekend.Where and with who does not matter,this is a "heads up"

I was hunting with local farmers and their group.We were hunting with the landowner.No "slob" stuff going on.We started a fire.

We had left a spot,were about a mile away,someone looked back and saw smoke.

We went back,did all we could,got folks out of an occupied building .Fortunately,an excellent Volunteer Fire Dept responded quickly,and about all that was lost is 12 acres or so of CRP grass.

I don't know what started it.Could have been a hot catalytic converter,we had some folks who smoked while hunting.

I don't smoke,wasn't driving.and do not care to point any fingers as I don't know how it started.

I just know what it felt like to be there,feel responsible,and remember how bad the fire was here in Northern Colorado within sight of my house.

Even the biggest of fires starts about the same size as ours.

I am thankful ours was not any worse.

As it was,I shared jalapeno stuffed with dove breast wrapped in bacon and smoked with mesquite with the land owner ,who was one of our hunters.

No hard feelings or lost priviledge.

We all kicked in a donation for the VFD.

Please be careful.

It mattered that we went back,got a gentleman out of his trailer who was in the path of the fire,did what we could and held the fire at a road,called in the VFD and water truck.
Some run.We stayed.It made the difference.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:11 PM   #2
farmerboy

Great post. Yes sometimes it can get outta hand just that fast too with these dry conditions. And basically that's all you can do. Glad no one got hurt and nothing was damaged. The grass will grow great there next spring. Thanks for a good reminder for us all.
Old September 4, 2012, 05:07 AM   #3
bswiv

Exellent post...........

Accidents happen.......not everyone responds so well, and then has the presense of mind to let other folks learn from the experence.

Thanks
Old September 4, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Tickling

Quote:
The grass will grow great there next spring.
^Yup. All's well that ends well
Old September 4, 2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Doyle

Average person just doesn't realize just how hot an exhaust system can get. Tall, dry grass brushing against a hot exhaust is a recipe for a brush fire. Combine careless smokers on top of that and you have a real opportunity for fire.
Old September 5, 2012, 04:02 AM   #6
Mike / Tx

I can certainly appreciate your position.

I also applaud you for your efforts in holding the line. Most folks do not realize that even though it might look bad at the start, it is WAY worse if let go. The flight reflex is VERY hard to control in some situations and it is very easy for some to let someone else take care of things.

You all did good, and I am sure that the effort concreted your commitment to the land owner. Being one myself, and having been in a fire situation more than once, I know how I would feel about it.
Old September 5, 2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Redneckrepairs

As a Colorado land owner i gotta say Kudos to you and your party for doing what you could .
Old September 21, 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
1tfl

We had a state patrol car go up in smoke few years ago.
Officer had parked on side of the road with his patrol car running to write some report. There were some dry grass under the car and before he knows it he was surrounded by grass fire. He panics and instead of driving his car out of the area he get out and abandons the patrol car... which goes up in smoke.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:47 PM   #9
2damnold4this

I'm glad everything turned out ok and kudos for doing the right thing.