The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Greg_TX

So what's wrong w/ 000 buckshot?

When I go ammo hunting, about the only buck I see left on the shelves are boxes of 3" 000 magnum shells when everything else is gone. I've seen this a few times now - I went to Academy today and all buckshot was gone except for 7 boxes of 000. Other than being painful to launch, why does it seem to be the least popular load?
Old April 2, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
oldcspsarge

In Wiley Clapp's NRA testing for self defense....3" "OOO" buck was rated # 1 load.

You also hit the nail on the head...it costs more......and if your shotgun has not has the forcing cones removed and perhaps back-bored....It's gunna KICK like a donkey !

To get that much down the tube with this level of effectiveness...E=MC2

A good recoil pad and it is a great load !
Old April 2, 2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Greg_TX

Hopefully I won't have to get kicked: the first three rounds coming out are #4 buck, last two are the 000, and I have three more 000 shells and two hollow-point slugs in the ammo holster on the stock. Hopefully that all will do ...