The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 24, 2012, 06:12 PM   #1
zmetal4

Hi Point 995 factory mag problems

Hi folks. I sold a buddy of mine my unfired 995/ts and after he got it home he tried to load 10 rounds into the mag with much trouble. So I went to his house and loaded it my self and found it was very difficult. I also tried to cycle some rounds through without firing, and every round but the first one gets jammed in the mag. I took the mag apart and filed the raw, sharp edges of the follower and then polished it. It still starts to hang up at 5 rounds. Has anyone had any problems with factory 995 mags? I also ordered a Promag 15 rounder for it. Anyone have any experience with those either?
Old February 24, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Grant D

I have a 9MM Carbine also and got extra mags and the mount for them, and all three have worked fine. Never tried cycling rounds without firing it though.
Have fired about a thousand rounds with no problems, maybe I'm just lucky with mine.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
chris in va

Quote:
I also ordered a Promag 15 rounder for it.
Oops.

But anyway, just disassemble the factory mag and see if anything is hanging up. Google "HiPoint mag disassembly" for instructions.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
jonnyc

I've heard of problems with the ProMags for HPs, but never the factory mags. If there is no quick/easy fix, call the factory; I'm sure they will replace it immediately.
Old February 25, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
BigMikey76

Quote:
If there is no quick/easy fix, call the factory; I'm sure they will replace it immediately
My thoughts exactly... Hi-Point has an outstanding reputation for standing behind their products.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:31 PM   #6
zmetal4

Well, my buddy took it to the range, and he said it was blazin' just fine. He said mags, both factory and Promag, were difficult to fully load but it shoots good. Maybe they just need broke in.