The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 6, 2012, 07:11 PM   #26
Technosavant

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you.
That maybe the proposed NATO Draft Standardization Agreement 4179 was not strictly adhered to by the fine folks over at Magpul?

Colt doesn't even own the M4 TDP anymore; they're hardly the only caretaker of that which is considered "in spec" for the AR world. Remember, for many years they were the ones using .169" pins for the fire control group for commercial ARs and not .158" like the ACTUAL military specification. If you're going to define "in spec" according to what Colt's Manufacturing has done you're going to have a rough time with the numerous times they purposefully deviated from the proper specifications.

The Spike's lower is indeed one of the tightest AR lowers I've yet seen, but it's still in spec. Magpul wouldn't have needed to go to Rev M (and soon to Rev M3) if their Pmags perfectly adhered to the dimensions for a STANAG 4179 magazine... their constant curve design results in a mag slightly longer from front to rear. Good magazines, but hardly the only good ones.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:36 PM   #27
Metal god

Quote:
If the Pmags will drop free out of a given rifle, great. If they won't, there's still plenty of other quality choices out there. The Pmag is a good product but it is hardly the end all be all of all magazine choices, nor is it the standard by which even lowers ought to be judged
Agreed , how ever there is an absolute for me when it comes to my AR mags . They MUST work in all of my ARs without issue . I refuse to have mags that work in one gun and not the others . If there is an issue with a mag that I can't resolve it will be sold or given away .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 6, 2012, 08:42 PM   #28
Technosavant

Quote:
I refuse to have mags that work in one gun and not the others . If there is an issue with a mag that I can't resolve it will be sold or given away
I don't blame you. Pmags still work in all mine (even if the don't drop free), so I'm not getting rid of any of the ones I have. However, I have shifted my purchasing to other types of magazines from here on out. When the newest revision hits I might get a couple to try out, but otherwise I'll probably lean towards GI style and TangoDown ARC.