The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2000, 07:26 AM   #1
dreadnaught

Although I am a dedicated revolver man, I kinda think maybe I need a Browning HiPower or a clone. I'm also kinda tempted to get a Makorov. Which clones are good? Mr Budget is very very tight. I have handled the TZ-75 (yummy) and the Jericho. Liked both of them pretty good. Thoughts?
Old December 13, 2000, 08:07 AM   #2
Cat

Yes, you should have a BHP! Everyone needs one.
There are some good deals on used Isreali BHP's out there. I believe AIM in southern Ohio is distributing them as well as others. They are about $280 for a standard one and $300 for a hand picked one.
One of my friends got one the other day and brought it to a match last night. It has the enamel finish, two high cap mags, a holster and mag pouch, and the sights aren't too bad either. The finish was a little scratched and worn but the innards and barrel look almost new. It shot pretty good for him during the match which required twelve qiuick shots at 20 yards, and he seemed to be able to hit OK with it.
That's the least expensive way to go for a BHP. If you start looking around for a good used Mark II or Mark III, it's probable gonna cost you at least another $100-$200. I'm just kind of guessing about those prices for used ones. That's about what were paying around north central Ohio.
Another option are the clones from FEG and FM that are made in South America. They are well made pistols and generally around $225-$250 or so.
Almost all of these models have a magazine disconnect on the trigger that manage to screw up the pull. They can be made lighter and crisper by 'smiths who knows what they are doing or the disconnector can be removed. This brings up safety and liability issues that I chose to stay away from in this forum.
Anyway, you owe it to yourself to acquire a BHP or clone.
Neil Casper
Old December 13, 2000, 08:49 AM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I tend to like them very much and am growing fonder daily of shooting the Makarov as well. Best.
Old December 13, 2000, 10:20 AM   #4
dreadnaught

Keep it comin, I'm takin notes here.
Old December 13, 2000, 10:55 AM   #5
cobraman

You know I think I need one too.
Old December 13, 2000, 11:24 AM   #6
Martowski

Everyone needs a Hi-Power! After going through a few 9mm handguns, I finally have the one I'm going to keep: a Browning Hi-Power practical.

Great ergonomics, and the gun has a nimble, slim feel to it.

I noticed you mentioned the TZ-75 and the Jericho. Those are actually clones of the CZ-75, not the Hi-Power. The CZ is an excellent handgun in its own right and can be found for around $300 these days.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either a Hi-Power or a CZ-75.
Old December 13, 2000, 11:46 AM   #7
loknload

BHP

Dreadnaught, As I have posted elsewhere I have the FM clone.
For $200. I believe the gun was worth the money I spent. It was also reported that after repeated heavy firing one member had the frame on his crack. I don't shoot competition
so this should not be a problem to me. Also you mention a Mak. I also have one of those and IMHO is a great gun for the money. I bought mine from SOG in Ohio I believe I paid $159. handpicked. It's an East German and the fit and finish is excellent. That was worth the money spent. Whatever you decide I don't think you will go wrong
Just my thoughts

Happy Holidays and Happy Shooting

Visit The Triple F Ranch
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily
Old December 13, 2000, 12:32 PM   #8
MrPink

Everyone should own a BHP

A John Moses Browning Classic. The grip feel on a BHP is like no other. I use to be into skinny chicks, but after my first volumptous woman, I came to realize the delight of a handful (OK, handfuls).

While I still have a preference for single stack autos, if I want a bullet hose, the BHP is it. Granted the S/A trigger has something to do with it. However, my SIG 229 in S/A doesn't feel as good as the BHP.

Sometimes it is just plain FUN to go the the range and shoot steel from a seemingly endless mag (just like in the Movies!).

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old December 13, 2000, 01:22 PM   #9
Dave R

I've owned the FEG clone (PJK-9HP) for about a year and enjoy it very much. Accurate, reliable, feels great. I even left my mag safety in because the trigger feels pretty nice. I polished my magazines where the magazine safety rubs and that got rid of any grittiness/drag. Decent trigger now.

And you owe it to yourself to experience that great BHP feel.

And when you get it, be sure to get a few of those 17 rnd South African magazines. They're great.
Old December 13, 2000, 01:27 PM   #10
JohnDog

Well here's my votes (no hanging chads here!)

BHP - I had shot a fair amount of 9mm semi-autos (Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, Berettas, *&*s) with varying results. Shot the Glock the best, so that's what I got. Then I shot a BHP, and had what you might call a "gun epiphany". It was like JMB had used my hand and arm to design the pistol. I extend my arm and find the front sight, and the rest of the sight picture is perfect. Felt recoil (it was a .40 - btw) for me was less than many of the other 9mms. When I shoot my 9mm BHP, I hardly have any muzzle flip at all. For me my favorite handgun(s)!

Makarov - I got a Bulgarian Mak from Jersey City Armory. I always heard that the East German Maks' had the best fit and finish. If that's true then they must be pretty awesome, or I got real lucky with the Bulgy I got. Deep blue finish, with a nice plum color blueing on the safety, hammer and extractor. Trigger is nice and smooth, and the little gun is very accurate. For the money spent, I don't think you can get a better handgun deal around. Makarov.com has all sort of good info.

JohnDog
Old December 13, 2000, 02:01 PM   #11
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greetings All:

I too own a BHP "Practical" model in 9m/m. I like the fit,
finish, and feel of the BHP's. I like my Sig's very much;
but the BHP's are in a class all by themselves. Every
handgun owner should have at least one in their inventory.

Season's Greetings,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old December 13, 2000, 02:15 PM   #12
AndABeer

Love mine. Mark III. I had MMC put some of their sights on it and gave it a trigger job and fit a KKM barrel myself. Fun pistol to tinker with. As others have said, that grip feel is incredible. I have been told that the only thing the designer of the Kahr pistol stole from other designs is the grip contour of the HP. Makes me curious to try one again.
Old December 13, 2000, 02:40 PM   #13
viesczy

I love my .40S&W BHP. Accurate, reliable sits great in my hand. There's not much more comfortable then a High Power.

The only complaint is that the oversized hammer of my Pratical chews me something fierce! Real men don't notice a little blood when shooting do they?

I haven't gotten around to tricking it out yet, but a replacement hammer is a must for the Pratical model.

Or even that .40S&W to .357 Sig package that Novak offers! But at $1500 bux for the package, I had better hit the lottery or something!

Derek
Old December 13, 2000, 02:48 PM   #14
VictorLouis

Absolutely nothing wrong with a HP, but I would

stongly encourage you to look at the CZ-75. Wholesale ?(see SG News) in N.Y. state has the Military on sale now for $309.95, w/$14 s&h. Transfer was $20, and there is no sales tax if you pay them directly on your card.

The Makarov is also a must have, in addition to your choice of a nine. My unissued Bulgie is excellent, and I am even more impressed with the gun after detail stripping it. What a design!
Old December 14, 2000, 01:07 AM   #15
Richard

Buy the Makarov! Why?

I am the guy with the FM with the frame that self-destructed. It didn't have an excessive amount of ammunition through it. I have fired it about 5,000 times and I don't think I fired one +P in it.

Do I have a sour taste in my mouth? You betcha! If it were a Browning the manufacturer would have done something about it. Who do you contact about a FM? Century Arms, and you get no where.

If I were in your shoes I would buy the Makarov. Why? It is a good, strong, accurate, and well made pistol. I would then save my money to buy a Browning High Power and live happily after.

Regards,

Richard
Old December 14, 2000, 10:47 AM   #16
Bartholomew Roberts

Well if you plan on buying one of the Israeli surplus Hi-Powers you might want to move quickly on it. Somebody on the Hi-Power forum reported that AIM is out of the hand-select Hi-Powers and expects to be out of all of them pretty soon.

As for Hi-Powers, I agree with the others here that they are a fine gun and a must have for every collection.

However, if you are like most of us and your aspirations exceed your budget, I'd recommend the CZ-75 as the best value.

I own a few Hi-Powers and they are far and away my favorite gun; but the CZ is a gun of comparable quality for half the price.
Old December 14, 2000, 08:19 PM   #17
hksigwalther

And snap up some of those 17rd South African mags before they run out too.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/browning.html
Old December 15, 2000, 12:03 AM   #18

I have wanted a Browning Hi-Power for years. I decided that this was going to be the year. I ordered one of the AIM surplus guns and hopefully they will still have one left when my order gets there. I set three goals for the upcomming year. #1 Buy a Hi-Power #2 Buy a "Loaded 1911" #3 Buy a new safe (I can't fit another gun in my current safe). I am not counting this surplus Hi-Power, I intend to buy a new commercial gun when and if Browning starts producing them again. I also bought a Makarov a couple weeks ago based on the thread presented on this board. I got a Bulgarian that had one magazine fired through it along wth 300 rounds of ammo, two mags, and the Pierce grips for $190. It turned out to be everything that the people on this board said it was. I found the accuracy to be incredible for such an inexpensive gun. I would certainly recommend either.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 15, 2000, 07:23 AM   #19
dreadnaught

I sent an e-mail to my favorite gun shop yesterday asking them to try and get me one of those Israeli HiPowers. Got my fingers crossed. If that doesnt work its a tosup between an FM HiPower and a Makarov. Gotta spend my tax return on something Politically Incorrect, right?
Old December 15, 2000, 06:04 PM   #20
pokey074

you need a Hi-Power, i need a HP, everyone needs a HP! just put in my order with JLD Enterprises for one of the new FM's with the MkIII frame and ambi safety. my very first gun was an FM i bought back in '95. been kicking myself ever since i sold it. i decided i absolutely HAD to have a HP again.
Old December 15, 2000, 11:53 PM   #21
Martowski

Another reason to buy the Hi-Power? Because it's a timeless classic and was one of the groundbreaking designs in handgun technology.

I wouldn't count on being able to buy a new Hi-Power other than those already on the market. Browning is not going to distribute any more Hi-Powers. However, FN has plans to do so, although an e-mail response I received from FN themselves said they intended to offer the Hi-Power to the law enforcement market at some ungodly price (I think the suggested price was around $600 or so).

Get a used MKIII Hi-Power now. I found a Practical model with hardly any wear last year for around $450, and saw a nice MKIII used for about the same price.
Old December 15, 2000, 11:59 PM   #22

I was lead to believe that Browning would be reintroducing the Hi-Power this coming February. That is just rumor that I got off one of these boards.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 16, 2000, 12:53 AM   #23
Martowski

Below is the message I received from FN regarding importation of the Hi-Power. Seems to me it would be a conflict of interest if FN were importing Hi-Powers AND providing Hi-Powers to Browning for distribution.

Dear Mr. Martin,

Thank you for your inquiry on the Hi-Power pistol. We plan to import
some
pistols designated HP-SA9 that are made in Belgium with the military
finish.
We expect the first delivery in early 2001. The suggested retail price
is
$609.75. The first pistols will be 9mm followed by 40 S&W. We don't
have
plans to bring in other versions, but if the market is strong for these
pistols, we will consider other
versions.