The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2015, 04:00 PM   #1
John0011

WST in a 40S&W

Trying to find some load data for a 40S&W, 180 grain Nosler hollow point
with WST.
Looked around a bit but can't seem to find an exact match anywhere.

Has anyone tried this combo?
Old April 22, 2015, 05:16 PM   #2
John0011

Found on handloads.com
A 180 gr jacketed hollow point with the starting point of
4.5gr and a max of 5gr

But on hodgdonreloading.com
a 180 gr HDY XTP has the starting point of
3.9gr and a max of 4.3gr

Seems a bit confusing,,, I am thinking start with
4.2 and see what happens
Does this sound like a good idea?
Old April 22, 2015, 09:30 PM   #3
snakeye

Actually I would start at 3.8 make test loads at 3.8, 4.0 and 4.2 checking for proper cycling of the slide and signs of overpressure on each load
Old April 23, 2015, 03:23 AM   #4
noylj

My simple rule is to always start with the lowest starting load I can find and work up. Seems safer than guessing.
WST is a fast powder, so I wouldn't go above mid-range jacketed. .40 S&W, or at least mine, don't seem to like fast powders that well.
I shows for 180gn jacketed bullets that start loads range from 3.9-4.0gn and MAX loads range from 4.3-5.0gn.
At http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/40-sw/
They show WST at 3.8gn start and 4.8gn MAX.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:31 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Though weight is the dominant factor in what pressure a particular load level will achieve, pressure also varies with how thick the bullet jacket is and how much of the case volume is taken up by the length of bullet seated below the mouth. That latter factor will vary with the bullet shape because different shapes have to be loaded to different COL's to feed well. That generally means they wind up with different seating depths into the case, even when their weights and jacket hardness are the same. Seating depth determines how much space the powder starts burning in, and that affects the final peak pressure, too.

Seating Depth = Book Case Length + Bullet Length - COL

The reason for using Book Case Length is that actual case lengths vary even when the heads are the same thickness, and it is the distance of the bullet base to the case head on the inside that determines the powder space under the bullet. Using Book Length for a particular brand of case keeps that constant. A more precise measure is to fill a fired case with water, set the bullet in to the COL you use, squirting out the excess water, then seeing what weight of water remains in the case. That weight represents the case volume under the bullet which is actually the ideal thing to keep constant.

Bottom line, if you don't know that your bullet has the same seating depth and jacket hardness as the bullet the data was developed for, go for the smallest starting load data you can find on the assumption that your bullet is seating no deeper and is no harder than the one the smallest level data was developed for. From there you work up in small steps while watching for pressure signs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 23, 2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old April 25, 2015, 05:06 AM   #6
John0011

Thanks for the help,,, I didn't think of looking at
Noslers site. Going to try 4gr and see what happens
Old April 25, 2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Ralph Allen

This is direct from Winchester's 14th edition of their free reloading manual. Remember those?
40S&W 180 gr JHP WST powder: 4.0 gr, 780 FPS, 21,800 PSI
5.0 gr, 900 FPS, 28,100 PSI
Ralph