The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Skeetin'870

Cost of a part

How much would it cost for a gunsmith to make a pin for a trigger group. One in my beloved beretta 3901 fell out after a good long soaking and i didnt notice. It is the small pin that holds the trigger and lets it set.
The problem is i didnt notice it had fallen out until today when i got home to Ok. from chicago so i cant really look for it.
So how much will it cost and how much time will it take me to get one made
BTW i have a smith who's daughter shoots with me and does things for CHEEAP.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old July 31, 2005, 10:09 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

Not sure

Unsure of the model number, Numrich didn't have it in their web site, but it shouldn't be too much even if he has to order it. Hate to give a price without knowing if he can order it or have to turn it.
Old July 31, 2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Skeetin'870

it sholdnt be that hard to make it right i mean the man has been making guns most of his life and is about 60. But it will be cheaper than getting a 200 dollar trigger group.
BTW my gun is basicaly a 390/391 but it is not one of the new 3901 american guns it was made in italy if that helps
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old July 31, 2005, 10:34 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

Call Baretta

Baretta should be able to help.
Old August 1, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

If it is a straight pin, he has the part the pin goes in, and there are no other complications, it sounds like about a half hour job, maybe $35-40. That would include hardening if necessary. If it is two-diameter, he has to spend time trying to figure out what it does, or he has to disassemble and reassemble the housing group, the price goes up accordingly.

Jim
Old August 1, 2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Dave Sample

The plain end of a drill bit the right size will make a great pin. Just cut it to length.
Old August 1, 2005, 05:45 PM   #7
Skeetin'870

Thanks for all the help I took it in today to have him look at it and after 15 minutes of talking with his daughter He was done and 5 dollars later i was out the door
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old August 1, 2005, 09:29 PM   #8
SamD

Nothing personal there Skeetin' but you ask a common and sort of insulting question. You go checking in the great world wide web looking for a price when you are not quite sure what you need done.
You have a smith who is local, that you know works inexpensively, and have an in with through his daughter and you don't ask him first. Were you afraid he was going to rob you?

Another post in this same forum asks why there aren't any gunsmiths any more. They all went and took up work where they weren't insulted by what people were willing to pay. Same reason there aren't any good auto mechanics around any more. No wants to pay them what they are worth and they are tired of being insulted.

Sam
Old August 1, 2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Skeetin'870

I only posted this thread because i wanted to know before i went in today to get the work done. I wondered if there was a place on the intternet i could get it and i did know what i needed done i just couldnt explain it.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old August 2, 2005, 03:37 PM   #10
SamD

Skeetin'
If you had found the part for free on the internet, postage would have cost you as much as what your local smith charged.

Sam
Old August 2, 2005, 04:36 PM   #11
cntryboy1289

Lol

All the guy did was ask about replacing the pin. I responded to him and told him what I would charge him if he came in my shop and tried to find it for him online, without results. Why does it bother you when a guy asks for help. Ease up there and let's all be happy.
Old August 2, 2005, 09:37 PM   #12
Skeetin'870

The internet would have been fine except that i planned on taking it shooting ASAP. Actually the smith was very good about it he called me today saying that he tought their would be too much room and the pin would slide out under firing so after a quick drive over he made me a new one in about 5 minutes and now it wont come out with out considerible effort.
And sam back off of me i was asking a question so that i wouldnt inconvinience my smith with something he wouldnt have to do as he is a very busy man
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old August 2, 2005, 11:23 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

That pin must have been a pretty simple one, and your gunsmith is a great guy. I wish we had him around here. He may have made it in 5 minutes, but it seems to have taken about 15 altogether, which works out to $20 per hour. Not many skilled machinists will work for that these days when hamburger flippers are getting $7 per hour.

Jim
Old August 2, 2005, 11:27 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Skeet - he did you right. You did good too. Next time you have bizness, take it to him. He earned it.
Old August 3, 2005, 10:22 AM   #15
Skeetin'870

I go to him specifically because his daughter shoots on my SCTP squad and he does his work for the price that he sees fit for the youth. It usually works out to be about half price. He is a good guy and a good shot. He has reasonable prices and he said he would make me a lever spring for my miroku in time for bird season.

BTW if you are in the tulsa area his name is bill nix of nix gunsmithing and supply. his phone number is available if you PM me
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through