The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Big-Blue

How do I know if I'm shooting quality, SAAMI approved ammo?

I've read on other posts that people solved FTF and FTE problems by only running quality ammo through their gun.

When I sent my gun back to the manufacturer for FTF and FTE problems. One of the questions asked by the Customer Service desk was, "Do I have these problems with SAAMI certified ammo?"

So, two questions:
  1. When I'm standing in front of a shelf of commercial bullets, how do I know which are quality and which are not?
  2. How do I know if ammo is SAAMI certified? I just checked a box of of Winchester Target, a box of Winchester SXZ, a box of Federal Range and Target, and a box of Atlanta Arms & Ammo. None of them say anything about SAAMI certification.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
RickB

If the ammo is made by a "reputable" American manufacturer - Remington, Winchester, Federal, Black Hills, etc. - it should meet SAAMI specs. Handloads purchased at the gun show? Not necessarily.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Theohazard

Also try to stick to standard-pressure ammo. For example, there is no SAAMI spec for +P (higher pressure) .45 ACP and .40 S&W ammo. The is a SAAMI spec for +P 9mm ammo, but there is no spec for 9mm +P+ (even higher pressure) ammo.

Like RickB said: stick to standard, reputable American manufactured ammo and you'll be fine. And for range shooting, if you avoid any +P or +P+ ammo you'll be sure you're always practicing with ammo that's within SAAMI-specced pressure.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

http://www.saami.org/ for some interested reading
Old April 22, 2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Mosin44az

Was that manufacturer Ruger, by any chance? It appears they mean it when they say run SAAMI ammo. Even my P95 wouldn't run Sellier & Bellot, and my SR40c wouldn't run Aguila or Magtech consistently, unlike every other gun I've owned....

As noted above, U.S. name brands should be SAAMI.
Old April 22, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Big-Blue

Re: How do I know if I'm shooting quality, SAAMI approved ammo?

Taurus.