The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 2000, 04:46 AM   #1
E__WOK

Is $640 too much for a factory folding stock police 870? How many rounds does it hold with and without the extended tube?

------------------
Check out my pics
Old July 15, 2000, 06:54 AM   #2
JNewell

Sounds high to me? PMs around here go for mid-3s, which would make the stock a $300 add-on? I have read alot of reports of dissatisfied users of the factory folder, including alot of cut-up fingers and other body parts (sounds like sharp stamped metal parts edges?).

IIRC, the PM 18.5" takes 4 in the tube, plus up to 2 more with an extension. I've got a Vang Comp extension, which is extremely well made, and installed one of the <$10 aluminum followers from Brownells. Both highly recommended.
Old July 15, 2000, 10:58 AM   #3
ModIMark0

640 sounds way too high. You might try ebay if you really want the stock. I've seen a few show up there and they top off at around 100 dollars. If you want an alternative stock, Sage International makes a collapsible stock for the 870 available at Brownells that might be desireable. And there aren't any sharp points like the Remington factory folder. It too sells at around 100 dollars.
Old July 15, 2000, 05:00 PM   #4
Robert Foote

I would insist on a substantial discount if I were forced to take a Remington folder. Just my opinion, of course...

------------------
Old July 15, 2000, 09:16 PM   #5
wakal

Don't forget that the POS Remington folding stock retails for $189, if you are able to talk the customer "service" morons into selling it. That could be jacking your price up.

I had two different people at Remington try to explain why I couldn't have a "Police" 870, a 870 folding stock, or a PSS. They were very put out when I told the I already had a PSS...simply too dangerous for civilian hands, I expect.

But yes, that is way too high for a 870 Police, even with the stock.

Alex
Old July 15, 2000, 11:12 PM   #6
P-35

Wayyyy too high. By the way, have you ever shot 12 pellet 00 Buck or full power slugs through such a gun? Try it and then see if you really want that particular folder.
Old July 16, 2000, 04:26 AM   #7
E__WOK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by P-35:
[B]By the way, have you ever shot 12 pellet 00 Buck or full power slugs through such a gun?[B][/quote]

I've shot a box of target loads through a pistol grip Winchester 1300, the recoil was punishing.

The reason I want a folding stock is for easier storage, not for holding up 7 Eleven, though it might come in handy.

I think the only reasons for the high prices is because there is only one more gunshop in San Francisco and the higher cost of living compared to other cities. Thanks.

------------------
Check out my pics
Old July 16, 2000, 05:58 AM   #8
JNewell

E_Wok -- the mid-$3 price I mentioned is a metro Boston figure, and our cost of living probably is as bad as yours &lt;g&gt;.

Wakal -- these "police" models are not restricted items, as far as I can tell. Any dealer should be able to order them. Remington seems to be going round the bend on these issues -- things like the dimples. Guess they don't trust us?

I see references to full-power loads. Don't need it for defense purposes. Buy and shoot the low-recoil "tactical" loads. They work the same at the muzzle end and you'll get faster, more accurate follow-up shots at the operator's end. Save the 3" magnums for geese going by at 30k feet. &lt;g&gt;
Old July 17, 2000, 08:08 AM   #9
Icopy

WAY TOO HIGH! I paid around 420 for mine a couple years ago. And yes, it came from the factory with the folding stock. In shotgun News, you can buy the factory original folding stock from between 70 to 125. I like mine, but I am considering putting some pac-skin on the stock to make a cheek rest. I doesn't hurt with regular loads. But magnum loads are big ouch.
Old July 17, 2000, 08:41 PM   #10
NJW

I cut down a 870 Express and added a Rem folding stock. I know it is not the best solution but I wanted a compact SG. The other thing is that I hate side folders so this is one of the few options I had. I Don't have too much of a problem with it.

Here is a pic of mine:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...566&p=18373483

Icopy, the Pac Skin works well, you can see it on the rail in the pic.

NJW in AZ

[This message has been edited by NJW (edited July 17, 2000).]