The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 7, 2020, 01:54 PM   #1
adn258

I Own A Century Arms C39V2 Is It Dangerous? Should I Be Concerned About Negative Rifle Reviews?

So I have a C39V2 that I bought awhile ago when they were higher prices. In any case, I've probably put about 500 rounds through it without any issues, hang-ups etc. My feelings on the rifle have been positive thus far. I love the trigger pull, and I've personally had zero issues (though I realize 500 rounds is nothing).

That said, I watched the Military Arms Channel on YouTube and they fault the rifle saying it's a ticking time bomb. They show a lot of wear on the rifle after their tests. You can see their torture tests below.

https://youtu.be/DJB9x2IPx8Q

Admittedly they pound rounds through this rifle like no tomorrow. Now there are POSITIVE reviews about this rifle online too don't get me wrong. Should I be concerned? I've thought about just selling this rifle and spending the extra cash on a Arsenal SAM milled AK.

What should I do? Should I even be concerned about this rifle being dangerous etc. or this just ridiculous? As always I love hearing from your guys on the forums here!
Old December 7, 2020, 03:38 PM   #2
MC 1911

Sell it and get the Arsenal if you can find one. We had 3 as rentals and none lasted long before breaking. Century did replace them but the replacements were no better. I don't think it's a matter of if you will have a problem but when.

I'm sure there are others who love theirs & haven't had issues yet.
Old December 7, 2020, 06:02 PM   #3
zoo

Quote:
So I have a C39V2 that I bought awhile ago when they were higher prices.
Higher priced than what they go for now? I doubt it. You got one of the milled versions. Unless you really trashed it I'm thinking you should currently be able to get more than what you paid for it. Heck, even the RAS models are currently going for more than people were paying for them prior to the rono.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:46 PM   #4
adn258

Like you guys said above I could sell it. I'd be AK less though. To buy ah arsenal at that point I'd be paying too much too. A lot of that is based on who wins the 2 Senate seats in Georgia. If the Democrats win the Senate the prices of all this stuff won't go down anytime soon!

I'd love to hear from someone that owns one in terms of rounds put through it etc.

Last edited by adn258; December 7, 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 8, 2020, 07:44 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

Or save yourself a lot of headaches and just find a nice little MAK90. They’re as durable, reliable, and accurate as any AK out there. With a simple furniture swap you have a great AK47. I’ve had mine for 36 years and will never sell it.
Old December 8, 2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Shadow9mm

My understanding was Century AKs were on the lower quality side. Do I think they are dangerous.... no. But they will probably wear out and either stop working properly or at all faster than a standard AK pattern rifle. Personally I would just shoot it, and wait for a good deal on a higher quality gun, and keep the century in the safe as a backup.
Old December 8, 2020, 02:04 PM   #7
adn258

I used to own a MAK-90 and I sold it. One of the DUMBEST decisions I've ever made no doubt about it! This was years ago, but still. I agree with you that MAK-90 is as good as, if not better than the SAM7FSF. The only thing is, MAK-90s now seem to go for about the same price as a SAM7F. When I bought my MAK90 years ago it was like 600 bucks which was a heck of a deal. Not anymore!

In any case, maybe I should just buy the arsenal and keep the C39V2. I've noticed that selling guns in general unless you totally hate the gun you have is generally a dumb idea.
Old December 8, 2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adn258 View Post
I used to own a MAK-90 and I sold it. One of the DUMBEST decisions I've ever made no doubt about it! This was years ago, but still. I agree with you that MAK-90 is as good as, if not better than the SAM7FSF. The only thing is, MAK-90s now seem to go for about the same price as a SAM7F. When I bought my MAK90 years ago it was like 600 bucks which was a heck of a deal. Not anymore!

In any case, maybe I should just buy the arsenal and keep the C39V2. I've noticed that selling guns in general unless you totally hate the gun you have is generally a dumb idea.
I would echo this. I have regretted every gun I have ever sold except the 2 lemons that i really did not like. I promised myself years ago I would NEVER sell a gun again, unless I hated the gun itself.
Old December 8, 2020, 07:35 PM   #9
TruthTellers

The only Century AK I would buy is the WASR because it's far better than the C39 or RAS. Actually, the WASR is probably the ONLY AK I would buy because I do not see $800 or more for an AK as worth it when there are so many other rifles out there that are better or more accurate for the same or less.

Seriously, for the cost of an Arsenal or an NPAP you could get an AR10. If it's the 7.62x39 you really want, then get an SKS for $500 (it's not 1991 anymore, the days of $89 SKS rifles are long gone) it's still a damn good 7.62x39 platform. Other than that, if you want a semi auto, then the PSA KS-47's are your other option and I like them given they use AK mags and are very accurate.

IMO, the 7.62x39 AR's that use AK mags are the future. The AK will still have that cool factor, they'll still be around, they just won't be worth the grand it costs to own a good one.

So, yeah, I'd sell it if you can get a good price for it. If what you fear is you won't be able to get a scary assault rifle in the future, don't let that fear keep you from being able to cash in on that fear from a buyer willing to pay big bucks for what is a junk AK that uses cast parts.
Old December 9, 2020, 02:36 AM   #10
adn258

TruthTellers everyone! lol. I broke down and bought a new SAM7SF by Arsenal! I get where you're coming form TruthTellers but the quality in these Bulgarian AKs is impeccable, and I'm an AK variant lover.

I totally get the KS-47s (they are cool too) and I'm not a purist by any stretch. I love My AR-15s, but I have a spot in my heart for a good AK, or should I say an excellent AK! I'll sell the C39V2. I might actually sell it and get more AK magazines, optics and other accessories. Anyway, I'm excited about it! It's being shipped to my FFL so I have to wait a bit of course.
Old December 9, 2020, 05:40 AM   #11
Shadow9mm

congratulations on the new gun! I had an Arsenal years back, it was a fantastic rifle, I wish I still had it.

DON'T SELL THE CENTURY!!!!!

As you yourself said just a couple posts ago "I've noticed that selling guns in general unless you totally hate the gun you have is generally a dumb idea."

There will ALWAYS be something newer, shinier, cooler, or better to buy. Don't trade in what you have to get the next "best thing". that is why I no longer have my century, and I really miss it. It is just a matter of perspective, the grass is always looks greener.

Hold onto that Century, for at lease a couple more months, let the dust settle on your new purchase before you go down that road. If you do it right away I can just about guarantee you will regret selling it, and there will be no getting it back. Mags are a dime a dozen, so are optics and rails.
Old December 9, 2020, 02:25 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

I wouldn't trust any rifle Century had anything to do with myself. Wouldn't pay any attention to anything spouted on YouTube either though.
Century has a very long reputation for having virtually no QC but you need to think in terms of liability law suits. If they sold stuff, now, with bad headspace(Like they did with thousands of Lee-Enfields), they'd be sued into the Stone Age. Low quality doesn't always mean unsafe.
Anybody with internet access can post anything they want on YouTube. Don't get your education there.
"...I'd be AK less..." And? The AK was designed for and intended to be used by illiterate conscripts who could be taught to use it as quickly as possible. So was the SKS.
"...you could get an AR10..." Yep. The really sad part is that back in the 50's, the Finns had 5 real AR-10's made in 7.62 x 39 for testing. Always that that was a good idea.
Old December 9, 2020, 02:48 PM   #13
adn258

T.O heir Good points made. I still love the simplicity and look of the AK platform. Ok, new we are talking aesthetics I know, but the arsenal SAMSF seems very solid to me. That's why I just ordered it! The question is what to do with this C39V2 by Century. Shadow9mm suggested NOT to sell it. A part of me really respects where he's coming from.

I'm in that department of NEVER sell guns at this point unless you hate it. That's the thing though, if this rifle is going to start having problems as indicated by YouTube at 5k rounds (whether unsafe or not) I'm going to flat out hate it whether it is an AK or not. Obviously the decision is ultimately up to me, but a part of me doesn't want 2 AKs, especially one that I might end up hating.

Shadow9mm - I feel like selling this might be an acceptation to my general rule, a rule that I have NOT violated in years. I'd rather sell it, and spruce up the Arsenal. I need to get some kind of rail mount system like Midwest industries picatinny side mount rail system and a good optic and scope mount.

I really want to get a decent scope optic on mine, get it zeroed in at 100 yards, and perhaps even use it for deer hunting! Oh! by the way, I also ordered another 10 Bulgarian steel magazines online (the 30 round ones).

Those things are solid as a rock, and for 20 bucks they seem like a decent investment to me. I think that leaves me with like 20 of the 30 round steel magazines for AK variant rifles.

I feel like if you're going to have a rifle like this, make sure you have a nice supply of magazines to back it up right?
Old December 9, 2020, 04:57 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

I'm not saying not to sell it, I'm just saying to wait. Get your rail and optics and get your new rifle set up. Then see if you still want to sell it. If you do it right away on impulse to get something else you will most likely regret it. make sure the decision to sell is based on wanting to get rid of the rifle, not to get something new with it.
Old December 9, 2020, 11:21 PM   #15
Nacho Man

Had a Mak-90, couldn't get it to group worth a damn. Shot way to the left.
It would swallow a no go gauge easily so the headspace was set on the loose side.
Had a century build m70b1 too, mag catch was too loose and all mags would rock back and forth to the point I had ftf bolt rode over the rim failing to pickup cartridge. Plus the front sight was canted bad.
Sold both pos during the frenzy and bought a SAM7SF. To be honest...
Its worth it lol. Milled hammer forged goodness

Last edited by Nacho Man; December 9, 2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old December 10, 2020, 03:03 AM   #16
adn258

Nacho Man thanks for that lol! Shadow9mm thanks for your feedback too. I agree with you! I'm in no rush to sell it! Nacho Man and everyone. Ok, I hear about this head spacing becoming a huge problem with AKs all the time that are low quality.

I'm wondering how dangerous this actually is? Sure, I know it could technically blow up an AK, but I feel like there's a huge difference between an AK firing and firing well. Some people in battle torn countries with AKs might be laughing at worrying about this. Opinions?

I was reading too that if clean the SAM7SF can survive almost 75-100k rounds before having catastrophic failures. I'm wondering if there's any accuracy to that statement too?
Old December 10, 2020, 12:08 PM   #17
Nacho Man

Your not gonna have any problems with the sam7.
The C39 I would just put out there now while
the buying frenzy is on. Your never gonna
be able to trust it in the back of your mind.
Well, that's what I would do
Old December 10, 2020, 12:41 PM   #18
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Man View Post
Your not gonna have any problems with the sam7.
The C39 I would just put out there now while
the buying frenzy is on. Your never gonna
be able to trust it in the back of your mind.
Well, that's what I would do
Fair point, personally I am predicting the frenzy/shortage to go into full blown insanity, all shelves bare levels, after the inauguration, which will most likely be binden/harris. Or you could look at it as a, try to sell prior to Christmas hoping somone will buy it as a gift. From what I have seen locally guns are available, there are plenty on the shelves, although prices are high. it is not Obama, slim picking, no AR/AK even available levels yet.
Old December 10, 2020, 01:36 PM   #19
Nacho Man

I wouldn't be surprised though, those vska's from primary arms and Atlantic sold out quick.
I mean, they're hockin Pioneer Arms ak's with
nirited barrels for $799. The c39v2 has a chrome lined bore and milled receiver. I'm sure the gun
could be salvageable down the road, but why even bother with it since you have a sam7 coming.
I would just pocket that cash or save the money for something else.
Old December 10, 2020, 01:47 PM   #20
adn258

See, this is why I love the community here on thefiringline because you guys offer great support and advice as a community. I have the gun listed I.E. the C39V2. I'm trying to sell it and I agree with Nacho Man. I think my mindset is right because I don't really need the money, but it seems pointless to me keeping it when a SAM7 is arriving soon. I've noticed a bunch of AKs listed on Armslist where I have my AK listed. It looks like Armslist charges now a monthly membership which I paid. I haven't got any response yet.

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen! NachoMan is right. At least where I live in Montana, there is no shortage of guns really, especially used guns. What there is a shortage of is everything else of course! Ammo, accessories etc. Especially ammo as everyone here already knows. I've thought about listing it on GunBroker which would work as I am watching a C39V2 with a current bid of 805.00. This seems to work because it's a huge market base, but it's just a huge hassle to sell on there and ship a gun to an FFL etc. for obvious reasons.

Where have you guys sold your guns before?
Old December 10, 2020, 03:06 PM   #21
Nacho Man

I've sold mine on armslist and local gun forum.
Old December 10, 2020, 05:31 PM   #22
Shadow9mm

private sale to a friend, or to a shop. never sold one online. You always take about a 50% loss selling to a dealer though.

If I were selling it online I would just take it to a dealer/gun shop and have them ship it. Usually they will charge you like a $30-50 transfer fee to send it to another dealer, cheaper and easier than trying to package it yourself and ship it through UPS.

At $805 you might almost break even on your new rifle.
Old December 11, 2020, 01:40 AM   #23
veprdude

I had a c39v2. That was the tightest fitting AK I ever shot (I own more than 10). No issues with it. Sold it off because when I need to sell, the ones that aren't likely to increase in value go first. I'd get another as a plinker. I think most of the issues Century had with the c39 were in the first generation. Maybe more info has come up since the V2 has been around awhile but I thought it was well put together. Not a go-to-war rifle. As a range plinker, who's really going to get up to round counts high enough to break parts?

Now if you could sell and trade up for a WASR 10/63 or MAK90 for a few hundred dollars, it's a no-brainer. The C39V2 might take the accuracy category but probably not the longevity category.
Old December 12, 2020, 12:46 AM   #24
adn258

Fair points Vepr. It looks like I might have found a guy that is willing to trade his Stag Arms Model 6 Ar15 with the adjustable 2 stage trigger etc. It's the one without the adjustable stock (which I like) it's a very simple AR but it actually seems decent!

I'm thinking of trading him as these to go for about the same price in excellent condition. It has the hogue handguard and whatnot. Seems like a decent rifle actually.

Oh I was going to ask. Does that seem like a fair trade to everyone? It seems decent to me?

Last edited by adn258; December 12, 2020 at 12:27 PM.