The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 9, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1
pesta2

“Old Model” Single Six question

Yesterday I went to Cabalas to take a Taurus Tracker .41 Mag. to trade. (I have now eliminated 3 of the 4 Taurus revolvers I had, I am keeping the 2” .44 Special though). So I got more than I expected for the tracker $285. So I made a trade.

I spotted a Ruger Single Six marked “RUGER SINGLE-SIX WIN. .22 RF MAG. CAL “ the box is marked “RSS5”. It is the 3 screw, 5-1/2” Barrel. I think it was manufactured in 1963. They wanted $425. I noticed it came with the box. I looked at it and it was in perfect condition. Not a mark on it and appeared never fired. So I got it home and it came with the original box, original manual, box with a spare .22 LR cylinder, the grease paper wrap, (and here is where the question comes in), a manual where it was converted to the transfer bar safety and all the parts in a bag from the factory.

The question is, should I put the original parts back in or leave it as is? I might actual take it to a gunsmith so it is done right. As converted the trigger is horrendous, I have never see such a bad trigger on a Ruger single action.
Old November 9, 2009, 09:51 AM   #2
CraigC

I would! Safety is between the ears and I prefer a traditional action without the transfer bar. The actions are smoother and the trigger is better. I'm so used to loading them with the hammer down on an empty chamber, loading six-up would make my head spin.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Nowhere Man

I wouldn't. It was converted for safety reasons.

If you're unhappy with the trigger have a 'smith fix it by addressing the trigger problem, not by making the pistol unsafe.

Dave
Old November 9, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

The revolver isn't "unsafe" with the old parts installed, it's the uninformed shooter who makes it unsafe. The transfer bar design is safe to load and carry six rounds in, while the original configuration is safe to load and carry with only five. Load one, skip one, load four, pull the hammer back to full cock and let it down on the empty chamber and you're set.

A gunsmith may not take the liability of un-converting it for you, but it's a simple job for you to do yourself. If someone loaded six rounds, the revolver got dropped and someone got shot, Ruger could prove they converted it, then the liability for the injury or death would fall squarely on the gunsmith who un-converted it. Probably the same for you too though...

That said, all my 3 screws are original or have been "un-converted".

SASS 47015
Old November 9, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5
CraigC

The "safety conversion" serves no other purpose than to save the idiots from themselves. Safety is between the ears and a traditional single action is no less safe than any other, as long as you know how to handle it, which holds true for anything. Let's not forget the vast number of Colt SAA, percussion pistols and replicas that are produced every year without a transfer bar.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:17 AM   #6
BlkHawk73

As it's already been converted, that's aspect of collectabilty is moot. Having the OM parts is a big plus though. Let the trigger get smoothed out and shoot it.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Singlesix1954

I have shot a few Single Six Rugers in my day. I would have to tell you to have it restored to "Old Single Six" status if you are going to shoot it. Load the gun so that the hammer is down on an empty chamber untill you cock it.
On the other hand if you are going to put it in the vault and never shoot it, well it won't make a hill of beens at your estate auction!
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old November 9, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
johnbt

Sounds like a great deal, but I'm curious about something.

I thought the .22 WMR marked guns all had 6.5" barrels, even the ones that were shipped with a LR cylinder prior to the introduction of the Convertible model.

Here's a brief history. www.gunblast.com/Hamm_MagnumOnly_SingleSix.htm

He says the boxes were marked RSSM. Of course with Ruger, who knows. That's why the collectors have so much fun.

In any event, no matter what, a heck of a nice gun and I'd put the old parts back in in a heartbeat unless you're going to carry it regularly. I haven't modified by '72 Convertible because I don't carry it. It has a nice 2# factory trigger pull that I will never let them mess with.

John
Old November 9, 2009, 02:21 PM   #9
45Colt_Man

If I was going to use it as shooter, I would reinstall the original parts. No gun smith required for me. Easy to reinstall original parts, use the manual for dissassembly and reassembly, use proper fitting gunsmith screwdrivers.
Load one chamber skip one chamber load the remaining four, pull hammer to full cock then lower over the empty chamber. People been doing it for 130 years.
You won't believe how much better the action is with the originals, until you try it.
The only reason Ruger came out with the conversion was because people couldn't read and juries are comprised of idiots that give away money to people who can't read.
Congratulations on a fine old gun.

Dana
Old November 9, 2009, 02:40 PM   #10
AAJAY

I got my Single Six as a gift new in 1972. I finally sent it in last month and had the conversion done. After all that I'm not inclined to have anybody switch it back.
If the trigger is less than "ideal' I really don't care because this 6 1/2" model is what I put bird/snake shot in for around the place. I call it my weedeater.
On the other hand, handled properly, which I did, you won't have any safety issues the old way.
The thing is, sometimes my wife might use it and.....why take a chance?
Old November 10, 2009, 10:49 AM   #11
pesta2

Well last night I was fingering the new acquisition. I notice the barrel looked longer that 5-1/2 inches to me. I put a Tape measure to it and it is 6-1/2” I would seem someone put a 6-1/2” in a 5-1/2” box.
Old November 10, 2009, 06:47 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Safety? What safety? I are purfect and never make misteaks and I don't beleeeve in no steeenkeeng safety.

Gimpy

(Jim)
Old November 10, 2009, 06:59 PM   #13
johnbt

Ha, you sound like my great uncle, three-fingered Joe.

John
Old November 10, 2009, 07:17 PM   #14
flattop44

Sounds like you just need to find a box marked RSSM and you'll have a nice package. The dual cylinder guns marked .22 RF Mag are pretty scarce. The .22 caliber cylinder should have the last three digits of the serial number "stamped" on it at the muzzle end if it is original to the gun. The safety conversion does not hurt the collectible as long as you have the original parts with it. I personally would put it back in it original configuration...much smoother action and its back like it came from the factory....original!
Old November 13, 2009, 10:47 AM   #15
pesta2

The old parts are once resting where there where originally. I installed them last night. The trigger is a big improvement. I have four 'new model Blackhawks' and I am use to the fell and sound when I draw the hammer back. What a different in the old model, It seems a little stiffer and defiantly louder. I think the stiffens is do the main spring. That is one strong little spring. The trigger now is nice and crips and a notice of lessening the pull weight.
Old November 15, 2009, 01:26 PM   #16
dgludwig

I tote a Single-Six a lot when hiking/camping/woods "loafing" and I like the transfer-bar safety conversion because it lets me carry the revolver safely with six rounds instead of five. Will I ever really need that sixth shot? Dunno, but it begs the question: Will I ever really need a fifth shot?