The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1
SLOMountaineer

Flattened primers, always excessive pressure?

I loaded some .308 and started low. At the low end the primers are slightly flattened. I went up to the mid-range loads and the amount of flattened primer was the same. Could it be due to loose primers?

Even when using the low-end charge, it seemed as though there was barely enough room in the case to seat the bullet...possibly compressing the load slightly? The bullets were the FMJ Military 145 gr. Powder was BLC2.
Old May 22, 2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Flattened primers, always excessive pressure?
Nope. Primers are rarely good indicators of excessive pressure in highpower rifle rounds. I almost always get some flattening no matter what the load in several calibers. If the case isn't difficult to extract and you can't measure any before-after difference in web diameter, you most likely haven't reached what would be an excessive pressure load.
Quote:
Could it be due to loose primers?
All primers are "loose" when you exert 50,000 psi or more on them. (IOW, they back out slightly and reseat themselves as the cartridge releases from the chamber. Perfectly normal.)
Old May 22, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
SLOMountaineer

Mal, can I have your personal phone number? A direct line to the expert would be easier than firing up the computer and posting when I had a question.

Thanks for the response. I am firing them out of a SA M1A and didn't have any jams or extraction problems when doing so.

I have been shooting for many years and reloading off and on for about 13 years...but I learn something new every day.

Thanks again.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:10 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Mal is right. The only thing that will give you any idea of pressures you're getting is the chronograph IMO. Or pierced primers some will argue. But if you're to that stage, your way over book loads.

Last edited by mrawesome22; May 22, 2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 22, 2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
can I have your personal phone number?
Sure, you can usually get me at 1-202-456-1414 during the day.

And I am hardly an expert, it's just that you have hit on some problem areas that I've seen in the past 40+ years of reloading. There are some on these boards that have forgotten more than I ever knew about reloading.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:19 PM   #6
SLOMountaineer

And I was just kidding about your number.

That is seriously it?

I am one of those guys that NEVER posts my number publically.

If it is, you are seriously generous and nice guy.
Old May 22, 2007, 06:38 PM   #7
jrfoxx

so, MAL H, do you enjoy sleeping in the Lincoln bedroom...I hear its real nice..

(for those who dont get it, he listed the White House's phone number, I wouldn't suggest calling it and mentioning "guns" in any way...unless you like black helicoters and Dick Cheney with a shotgun in your living room... )
Old May 22, 2007, 09:28 PM   #8
SLOMountaineer

LOL! Right after making my post, I checked and it was the White House number. I didn't figure Mal would give his out but you never know. Not only is he smart, he is funny.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

You're right, I wouldn't dare put my home number on a public BB!
Old May 22, 2007, 10:20 PM   #10
ZeroJunk

I look at the primers with all reloads.A flattened primer may not mean that the load is excessive,but if the primer is not flattened at all,you can be pretty sure that it isn't.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:22 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Mal, you're absolutely devious! Um... can I take lessons?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie