The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2008, 01:57 AM   #1
oneshotkill

Remington brass

Would Remington Brass work for reloading in my 30-06?
Old March 26, 2008, 02:17 AM   #2
somerled

There's nothing wrong with Remington .30-06 brass. I've used the bulk Remington and Winchester brass for years with no complaints.
Old March 26, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
The Lovemaster

Sure, it'll work great - your rifle doesn't care what brass you feed it, as long as it's trimmed (if necessary) and properly sized.
Old March 26, 2008, 09:34 AM   #4
scrat

as far as quality its ok not a bad brass to use. as with any just depends on you. high charged loads will cause brass fatigue with any brand. Then improperly crimping using FCD or sizing will fatigue the brass too.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:54 AM   #5
tom234

Get some old military brass if you can; it is best. Remington brass is thinner and won't stand up. Guys in my varmint hunting club always stayed clear of Remington brass. No complaints on Win, FC, or Norma brass.
Old March 26, 2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Ignatz

You'll probably have to knock out the military primer and then open up the primer pocket for future primers. Lee makes inexpensive tools for both processes. Then its good to go!
Old March 28, 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
crowbeaner

H*** no, don't use that RP brass! Send it to me and I'll send you some nice, fresh, shiny, tasty new LC military stuff! Just kidding, the RP stuff will work just fine; but be aware that WW has a little more capacity and that RP tends to work harden sooner that WW. FC is a bit softer like LC or other milspec brass, and tends to stretch sooner. Consult a good reloading manual for loads, and start low and work up.
Old March 28, 2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Hawg

I use Remington brass exclusively. I hot load the devil out of it and it holds up very well.
Old March 28, 2008, 11:01 PM   #9
TexasSeaRay

I've been reading for years how crappy Remington brass is.

And for all those years I've been reloading it--and in a number of different calibers--I've yet to personally experience it.

It's always worked fine for me.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 29, 2008, 12:36 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

Use it. It'll be just dandy. New or once fired. Mind you, if you have a semi-auto, it has to be full length resized every time. For a bolt action, neck sizing only will do nicely. However, if you ever buy another .30-06, you'll have to FL resize to use the same brass in both rifles. One thing at a time though.
"...Get some old military brass if you can; it is best..." No it isn't. Milsurp brass is good stuff, usually, but it's also slightly thicker, hence a slightly lower case capacity and requires the load to be reduced by 10%. Plus the primers are crimped in and that must be removed before re-priming. Milsurp brass is not the be all and end all.
"...Remington brass is thinner and won't stand up..." Nonsense.
You don't need to crimp any .30-06 ammo either. Even in a semi-auto.
Old March 29, 2008, 03:57 AM   #11
davidebt

Limey

IMHO I've only ever used rem brass for .243 / .308 / .270 and 30-06 never had a problem with any of them.
Old March 30, 2008, 06:30 PM   #12
marks655

Seems OK except you should resize it before using it.

In the past I only resized new brass if the necks were bunged-up but when I loaded some virgin Remington 6.5x55 recently, almost 1/2 of the shells would not chamber - shoulders were set too far forward. Ater rezising they were fine.

I prefer to load virgin brass without having to resize it so I use Winchester and Lapua mostly.
Old March 30, 2008, 08:29 PM   #13
BIGR

Remington brass has worked well for me in the 30.06 and other calibers as well. Those varmits and game animals could not tell the difference if it was Remington or Federal Brass. Could it make a difference if I was trying to split hairs at 400 yards, yea maybe?
Old March 30, 2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Ken O

I've reloaded lots of Rem '06 brass with no problem. The only brand I have had trouble with is Federal. They issued this for a while at Camp Perry for competition and after my first reload, I could push the primer in with my thumb. I gave away any FC after that, and didn't bother to reload it. It was the same for both .223 and '06. I never had a problem with FC pistol brass.

Last year at Perry they issued Greek surplus '06 ammo, and no problem reloading it so far.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:45 PM   #15
Bearwolf

In my experience, it seems like the rem brass gets work hardened in the necks alot quicker (4 reloads) than the win brass that I usually use.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:56 PM   #16
lev83

Nothing wrong with Remington brass but you will find it softer and thinner walled than Winchester or Federal and this is why I often give this brass to others.
Old March 31, 2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Steve in PA

I use Remington brass in my hunting rifle and for loads in my M1 Garand. I have multiple firings through both, and would take Remington over any other commercial brass.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:31 PM   #18
115scott

I've used Remington brass for years, some of it in my 25-06 has been reloaded numerous times. I also like winchester brass except some of the new unprimed brass has bad primer flash holes (partially plugged).