The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 6, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1
customaquatics

M4 style .22 LR

im skipping on the Colt AR/M4 an i am looking at a .22 LR M4 platform. i have it narrowed down to either a Umraex 22 LR Colt M4 or the Smith an Wesson 15 22. both im able to get for under $500, but im stuck on what one to get.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Jo6pak

If you are looking for function that mimics the M4, go with the Smith n Wesson. The controls are a perfect match to the real thing. On the Umarex, the bolt release button and forward assist are purely consmetic.

I haven't heard any complaints for the guys I know with the Smiths. Heck, I'll probably be getting one pretty soon to replace my GSG-5
Old February 6, 2012, 08:25 PM   #3
customaquatics

ya i been looking at the S&W with the flash hider.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old February 7, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

I have the Umarex model. I mostly like it because I have a lot of extra mags in different sizes. So you can do a lot of plinking with it before reloading. The rifle has not been trouble free. I'm hoping the problems were ammo related. I've tried the newer CCI tactical brand and those seemed to work well. I like to experiment with sighting options such as flip-flopping back and forth on different shooting days using dots, lasers, scopes, and iron sights.
Old February 7, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Marquezj16

Go with the M&P 15-22. One of the most fun rifles I have. Accurate and reliable. The only problems I've had are related to Rem and Winchester bulk packs. They are dirty and have more duds. I feed mine Federal Auto Match and can go through the whole brick without a malfunction.

Also extra mags are getting cheaper for it too. 25 round mags at Midway are $15.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Jayhawkhuntclub

Another vote for the Smith 15-22. It's a really fun rifle and the controls are nearly identical to an AR. Mine is a little picky about ammo: it doesn't like Winchester 333s. It is a great rifle!
Old February 7, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Crow Hunter

If you want to use it as a training tool to a 5.56 rifle, go with the S&W.

Just make sure it has a D prefix on the serial number. (Improved function blue action spring)

If you just want a cool looking one. Go with the "Colt".

I have the S&W and it is really useful if you want to keep the same functions/dimensions as a real AR. The only thing that is different is the weight because the M&P is mostly polymer and is quite a bit lighter than the real thing.

The best thing is that using cheap .22 ammo is that you can get good at SPORTS by the time you run through a whole box!
Old February 7, 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Coyote_Buster700

If both are under $500 go with the M&P.
Old February 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #9
jsimmons

Between the two, I'd get the S&W (I have a 15-22 myself). HOWEVER, If I had it to do over again, I would also consider just getting a dedicated upper for one of my existing regular ARs. That way, the rifle is more configurable because it's no longer proprietary (where it counts).
Old February 7, 2012, 05:45 PM   #10
243winxb

Saw a Mossberg being shot, was accurate and worked well. $249 online.
Old February 7, 2012, 06:06 PM   #11
customaquatics

this is the one im hopefully going to get with the flash hider. this i got priced at $460
Old February 8, 2012, 09:03 PM   #12
psycho nut

A friend of mine has a M&P and I love it. It doesn't like bulk box ammo, but he usually uses mini-mags. I plan on getting one as soon as my budget allows.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:04 PM   #13
customaquatics

ya i've read other reviews about them not liking most bulk ammo but eating up the CCI Mini Mags an the Federal ammo.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Noreaster

Although not an AR15 design the Sig 556 22lr is outstanding. I had a chance to shoot one during a competition and it was flawless. Nice design and good handling.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:47 PM   #15
SteelChickenShooter

My worst case was Winchester Wildcats getting caught sideways in the action. When the bolt slammed home, the shells fired down through the magazine. I began with an apparent sticking bolt. It seemed to stop about midway in travel towards the chamber. I sanded, burnished, and oiled this until the bolt would reliably close on it's own with minimum spring force. Another situation involved a semi-rounded plastic part that might be called a buffer or stop. It rides on top of the internal action and is pinned in placed. It looked to me like the pin broke so this piece does not maintain it's straight forward and backward movement. Not being pinned in place, it seems like it is permitted to flop around side to side perhaps rubbing on the action. Not sure what significance that may or may not be. I have a replacement part on hand if it becomes apparent I need to use it. Members with manuals can probably see the part I am describing and perhaps they can inspect their own rifles reporting back as to the condition they find. The bolt speed adjustment was a bit strange until I had a better understanding of what that was and where it needs to be set. Mine clearly did not like and could never cycle standard velocity ammo. And for that reason, I really don't have much use for it. It fails to give me the performance I expected for my intended purpose. But for certain brands of high velocity ammo and plinking tin cans or gold balls- I say go for it.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Crow Hunter

The S&W I have doesn't have many issues with the bulk ammo. There will be an occasional weak round that almost sounds suppressed and usually results in a short stroke.

Some of the early guns had more issues that the current rev. "D" prefix serial number and the Blue action spring is the most recent rev. I think if you have an earlier one, S&W will upgrade your gun for free.

When I am getting close to 500 rounds without cleaning I will start to get an occasional missfeed but it clears right up with a malfunction clearance and a quick squirt of CLP or something. I usually take it down and clean it after it starts doing that. It shotguns open just like a real AR and is a breeze to clean.

I have fired it with Remington Goldens, Federal Bulk and Winchester 333. I had the best results with the Federal.

I haven't tried it with any "good" .22 ammo.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:35 AM   #17
rugerdawg

.22 - AR15

I would take a look at the new .22 that Armalite just released. All steel and very well made...price is better too
Old February 9, 2012, 08:36 AM   #18
cajun47

my brother in law's 15-22 works flawless with walmart federal bulk and the winchester 555 packs. so does my sig 522 which eats any brand .22lr but the blackdog mags for the 522 aren't so reliable.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:46 AM   #19
JWT

S&W 15-22 is a great little gun. Have put thousands of rounds through mine and never had any problems. I shoot mainly Federal and CCI Blazer bulk ammo. It is very accurate and truly fun to shoot.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #20
RC20

I had a S&W 15-22. I think it’s the best of the lot by a lot.

The gun is an awfully good rendition of the AR and its almost required to have the flash suppressor to go with that.

Function wise there have been some problems. Lot of "home" field fixes out there, I sent mine back to S&W after a long string if FTF problems (under warranty and you have to like that about S&W, no limit on it, if it’s a problem they will fix it)

Having to do that was annoying, when it came back it fired anything I threw at it. So, good for S&W when they fixed it they did it up right (most seem to come right but seems to have a consistent low level of problems with some - not unusual for this type of gun no matter who the mfg and I think S&W keeps making them better, the rest stay the same.

Accuracy varies a lot and mine was not very good. Some are really good, some so so and some pretty poor. I had a good rim fire scope on mine so it was not me.
Old February 9, 2012, 04:21 PM   #21
jd3020

I also have the m&p 15-22 and just this past weekend i finally went out and put some rounds through it. 550 of reminton bulk to be exact. i have 2 ftf and that wasnt the guns fault that i can tell. i put the shell back in and it fired. Its a sweet little gun and mine seems to be accurate with a red dot. the quad rail setup is nice for adding accessories to it. The only thing i wish it had was the removable stock so i could put a one point sling on it. I just havnt found one to fit it just right so it feels comfortable. I guess a two point will have to do for now.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old February 9, 2012, 05:04 PM   #22
Darren Roberts

S&W 15 22 is a great little rifle. I have it and it is the all around funnest rifle I own. great for kids. I have started my kids on it, and outside of the forward assist and the fact its piston reather than gas, it is a good head start for them to be familiar with the AR fieldstrip and parts. I plan on buying a couple more just for plinking around on the farm with.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:24 PM   #23
Ridge_Runner_5

M&P-15/22 is a real AR, just in .22 caliber.

The Colt .22 is just a generic .22 action surrounded by plastic shaped like an AR.
Old February 10, 2012, 03:24 PM   #24
jsimmons

Quote:
M&P-15/22 is a real AR, just in .22 caliber.
Well, almost.

An 15-22 does not have a buffer tube or action spring, and the upper/lower are out of spec enough to not be able to mate with real AR parts (you can't put the upper on a AR-15 lower, and you can't use the 15-22 lower with an AR-15 upper). They did that specifically to disallow those combinations. While the forward assist appears to be functional, it doesn't have any affect on the weapon's ability to chamber a .22 cartidge.

No aftermarket barrels are available (and after three years, you would think there would be some), and the early rifles aren't threaded for flash suppressors. There is an adapter kit available that allows you to mount AR floating handguards but you have to ask yourself if a .22 is worth that kind of expenditure. I would aonly spend the money if the rifle was already a good shooter. If it's mediocre, dressing it up ain't gonna help it.

I have a 15-22, and if I had the money to spend over again, I'd buy a .22 upper that could be used on a spec AR-15 lower (probably a polymer lower to keep the cost and weight to a minimum), and mostly because of all the reasons I stated above. I would then have the added advantage of buying a better barrel and potentially having a more accurate rifle.

All that being said, the 15-22 is the best plastic purpose-built .22 AR-platform available (IMHO).
Old February 10, 2012, 04:00 PM   #25
Marquezj16

Quote:
While the forward assist appears to be functional, it doesn't have any affect on the weapon's ability to chamber a .22 cartidge.
I looked at mine, I don't have this forward assist thing you are talking about!

1000 POSTS ALERT!!! WOOHOO!!!

Last edited by Marquezj16; February 10, 2012 at 04:06 PM.