The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 7, 2005, 01:58 PM   #1
TerryJansen

OU shotgun ejector repair

Hi

I am desperate for advice on the repair of a faulty ejector on a new shotgun I have just aquired, it is a SIMSEK (Never heard of the make prior to recieving this weapon)
the ejector on the lower barrel works 1 time in 20 rest of time ejector is in the same position as the top one but gets there without the "kick" needed to eject the shell (same with snap caps so shell is not sticking in chamber).

Located in South Africa and have waited 2 long years for a licence to possess this gun (and have only licence issued in my city in that period) and there is no way our less than friendly government would issue a permit for another weapon i.e. cant return it to dealer and demand replacement.

I would appreciate any advice on what to look for and potential fixes for this problem.

Local gunsmiths are fast becoming a mythical species as our government clamps down on private firearm ownership and it's negative effect on all related aspects of a once vibrant culture.
Old April 8, 2005, 12:07 AM   #2
mikikanazawa

Do you know how to take the gun apart? If the gun's new, I bet a handy guy could disassemble it and figure it out. Probably a bad spring or some machining swarf jamming up the works.

I had a Kahr that would FTF every now and then. I took it apart myself, this is when I knew squat about guns. An hour of quality time with my baby and I had it figured out. And a LOT more confident in my abilities.

Assuming you don't hear a "zing!" and have a small, greasy spring launch itself under your oven. ;-)
Old April 11, 2005, 07:54 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

On ejector type shotguns, there is a spring behind the ejector and a small sear that keeps the ejector in against the spring until the barrels reach the open point. Then the sear releases the ejectors and the shells are kicked out. On an extractor gun, there is no sear, and the spring just pushes the shells out as the gun opens and the shells can be removed by hand.

On your gun, it is possible that the bottom sear is worn or missing or that the part of the ejector where it bears is worn so it doesn't catch. But there is another possibility. Many ejector guns are convertible to the extractor type by turning a screw or inserting or removing a pin. The reason is that handloaders want to keep their empty shells in hand, so they convert the gun to extractor. It is possible that someone, accidentally or deliberately, converted one barrel of your gun to extractor only. It is something to check before you spend money on a fix.

Your gun control laws sound really bad, and the crime rate is probably astronomical, as it usually is in a "gunless" (i.e., guns for criminals) society. I sympathize.

P.S. The Simsek is Turkish; I think the company is out of business, but they made double, O/U, and semi-auto shotguns.

Jim
Old April 12, 2005, 12:39 PM   #4
TerryJansen

Thank You!

Thanks guys.
I have followed your advice and spent many hours trying to figure out the workings of the guns ejectors.
If I select to fire the bottom barrel 1st and then try and eject this barrel only, it is obvious that the ejector for the barrel is trying to kick the shell free before the action is far enough open!
also it seems to me that a pin on the side of the ejector bar engages a cam type path in the side of the action and for the first part of the opening cycle the interaction of the two serves to cam/extract the shell part way out of the chamber then once the pin reaches a certain point on the path it is free to move freely and finish ejecting the shell under the power of the ejector spring.
Is it possible that the manufacturer miss machined the "cam path" on the lower barrel or does this sound like a normal set up and I should start trying to identify the sear components in the ejector assembly?

Also if what you say about the SIMSEK company being defunct is true then I will be obliged to hit the roof when discussing the concept of honest business practice with my beloved dealer! Please could any one with info regarding the SIMSEK guns post the references / comments for me?

Thanks again
Terry Jansen
Old April 12, 2005, 08:19 PM   #5
bergie

Their website is up

Simsekshotguns.com Not a great amount of information, but I hope this will help.
good luck,

bergie
Old April 12, 2005, 08:34 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

What I described was a sort of generic set up. Yours sounds different, and it sounds like the ejector is held back by that cam path, then released when the gun is opened. If that is the case, the cam path is doing the function of what I described as a sear, holding the ejector until the gun opens.

Take a look at the top barrel. You say it works, and its ejection system should work the same (mirror image) as the lower barrel system.

Sorry for the misinformation on the company, and I am glad they are not out of business. My information source said the guns were no longer imported and he thought the company was gone, so that is what I passed on.

Jim