The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 12, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
stealintv

Winchester 04-22 Short

Hello all. A friend of mine has an old Winchester 04-22 Short. It is a single shot rifle and can be taken down by removing one screw. It does not have any serial number on it. The only other identifier is a patent date of August 29, 1899.

I was curious what this rifle may be worth.

I will try to get pics up tomorrow or Monday after work to show the condition, but I can describe it.

The wood stock appears almost black and has many scratches and dents. The barrel has some surface rust. When I opened the bolt, there is some surface rust, but appears to be smooth, no nicks or dents.

I plan to give this little rifle some TLC and hopefully have it looking better for him. He would like to sell it to fund a handgun purchase, but realizes that it is old and beat up. He stated that he may keep it if it's not worth much as he had it since he was a child.

Any input is appreciated. I did some googling, but I'm currently at work and a lot of websites are blocked. Thought I'd post on here and see what you all think.

Pics to come... Thanks!
Old March 12, 2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Scorch

Winchester 04 single shot rifles are in a class of rifles known as Boys' Rifles. Value for any pristine Win 04 would be several hundred, but most are used and abused (mostly because they were given to boys), and draw $75-$150.
Old March 14, 2011, 07:35 AM   #3
stealintv

Thanks!

Wow, I did not know that these were marketed to children. Different times.... Well, I was able to check on gunbroker and found similar rifles going for about $200, but no one is bidding on them, so I assume the amount that was stated is accurate. I doubt a gun shop would even shell out that much, even on a trade. I'll be putting up pics tonight so others can see this little rifle and give their opinion. Heck, maybe someone on here may want to purchase it. If not, I have a 50% off coupon for professional framing. I bet that rifle would be a nice addition to my friend's wall if all else fails.

Thanks again.

Last edited by stealintv; March 14, 2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: I should proofread better