The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 26, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Dan D

rock island armory forged frame?

I was looking at buying a RIA 1911 at the local gun shop and the salesman said that RIA had gone from cast frames to forged. Does anyone know if there is any truth behind that? Thanks.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As far as I know, this is incorrect.

RIA did switch from cast slides to "extruded" slides. Extruding is a form of forging. Perhaps that's what the salesman meant.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
springer99

The chatter over on the 1911 forum says that RIA IS moving to forged frames.
Old September 27, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Dan D

He wasn't talking about slides, he said frame. Then again this was the same guy that told someone that the center post in federal hydrashok's was there to make the back of the bullet expand if the front happened to get clogged. Needless to say, I really dont listen ti what he says usually.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My sources at Armscor tell me that they will (future tense) be changing to forged receivers in their more expensive pistols, but that it hasn't happened yet. I'm not entirely certain what the break in the lineup will be -- perhaps the GI pistols will continue with the cast receivers and the Tactical models will be forged? I guess we'll find out when it happens and when we start seeing pistols with forged receivers.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
WVsig

For the price point and their intended use I personally think they should stick with the cast frame. Keep costs down and stick with what works. Cheap forged is not better than cheap cast IMHO.

You really do not hear about a lot of RIAs frames failing. In the end the slide is where it all really happens.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
highpower3006

I have recently purchased both a Colt Government Model and a Rock Island GI. Quite honestly, while the Colt is a bit better finished than the Rock Island, when you shoot them both side by side there is little discernible difference.

For half the price, the Rock Island is a heck of a deal. In fact, I liked it so much, I just bought a RI compact.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Zekest Crowe

My Rock Island Armory 1911 GI gets better with every 500 rounds. I reload and shoot 200 grain lead semi wadcutters from S&S only in that 1911 and there are zero feeding problems nor any malfunctions.