The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1
BFG1300

short barreled side-by-side

I'm shopping for a side-by-side fun shotgun. maybe in the future some fast cowboy shooting. preferably hammerless but I'm open to any suggestions. price range $500 to $1000. I'm not new to shotguns. I own four 12ga's and plan on getting four or five more.

Last edited by BFG1300; August 13, 2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:13 AM   #2
SSgt Facebreaker

A few years ago a buddy and I both picked up Remington Spartan 20" 12ga side by sides for around $275 on sale. The finish isn't the best, but reliability is perfect.
I don't partake in Cowboy Action Shooting, but hitting milk jugs filled with water while shooting from the hip always puts a smile on my face.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Icopy1

Plus one on the Spartan line. Made in Russia with chrome-line bores and priced very affordable. I had the both the hammer and the hammerless coach guns and was very impressed by the quality. CDNN used to sell them for <$300. I only send them to pick up an Ithaca.
Old August 19, 2010, 12:59 AM   #4
UtahHunting

Looks like CDNN sells the Remington Sparton for $359 nowadays. Still not a bad deal for a reliable o/u.
Old August 19, 2010, 05:07 PM   #5
mothermopar

Upper range: look at the CZ Hammercoach. I've handled them and not only do the reports on these say they shoot well, but man... They are beautiful well crafted guns.

The CZ hammercoach has been a dream gun of mine for sometime now.
Old August 20, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
10-96

I have yet to find anything at all to be unhappy about with any of my Stoegers. Side by side with my friends Bakail (sp?)?... Never mind the comparison- his no longer works as a result of poorly tapped screw holes and a tendency to spit small parts (screws) out. Anyways, mine still runs like a top.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.