The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Bead sights...

I am not too thrilled with the standard bead sight on my mossberg 500.

Does anyone have a good recomendation on a very sturdy well build sight I can use to replace the standard site?
Old February 3, 2008, 06:17 AM   #2
SmokinTom

You have to remember something. A shotgun bead is nothing more than a referance. It`s NOT a sight. Your eye is your back sight and the target(game your shooting or clay birds) is your front sight. Remember that it`s a shotgun and not a rifle!Think about it.The bead is a starting point,nothing more. It`s just there to line up the barrel,thats it.
Old February 4, 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
hoghunting

I've installed this sight on 2 of my barrels. While a shotgun isn't aimed as a rifle, it seems much easier if the bead shows in the periphery as you follow the target.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...HOTGUN%20BEADS
Old February 4, 2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Rob96

I am going to put this on my HD shotty.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...l.aspx?p=19914
Old February 4, 2008, 11:32 AM   #5
classic095

bead

I have replace many beads on shotguns with the Marbles ivory muzzle bead and the Marbles ivory mid rib bead.. Only need for beads on the shotguns are for alignment of the shotgun, then ya forget about them. Shotguns are not sighted, they are pointed..unless you are going to use slugs in them then ya need to sight them in..

Come visit me at our range.. I probably got a bead or two you can have..
Old February 4, 2008, 01:54 PM   #6
johnbt

I have one somewhere I took off my duck gun a couple of years ago. I keep meaning to fill in the hole, but haven't gotten around to it. On second thought, I doubt the threads from a SX-2 waterfowl would fit your gun. Oh well.

My great uncle Fred used to file down the beads on his guns.

John
Old February 4, 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
BigJimP

A bead on the end of the barrel - and on the middle of the rib - are only used for lining up the gun as you mount it ( so you don't cant the gun as you mount ).

You should never see the front site in your peripheral, or any other kind of vision. If you ever see that front sight - virtually 100% of the time - it means you are looking at the gun and measuring your lead - and stopping your swing. Don't look at the front sight or mid rib bead on a shotgun except to work on your mount ( where you should see a figure 8 - one bead over the other ) if the gun fits you properly.
Old February 5, 2008, 07:27 AM   #8
classic095

sight

bigjim: down here in Florida we call the figure 8 a snowman because it is the only snowman we want in Florida..When lineing up your shotgun on the mount make sure you see the "snowman", then forget about him..
Old February 6, 2008, 01:09 PM   #9
BigJimP

classic: I'll tell my buddies in Alaska, they'll appreciate it ......but you probably don't use hand warmers or 3 layers of coats either ..... I may have to come visit you boys in Florida one of these days ... it was 35 degrees up here yesterday, 40 knot winds and raining sideways ....( hell of a day to be chasing skeet targets ...).

Last edited by BigJimP; February 6, 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old February 7, 2008, 10:13 AM   #10
classic095

florida

come on down, range is always open, about the coldest it gets here during the day in winter would be around 45 degrees, chilly but still good shootin weather..