The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 4, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Sunklands

DPMS .243

A .243 on an AR platform really sounds appealing to me. Do any of you own or have any experience with one of these? What factory ammo is best for deer and varmints out of this gun?
Old October 4, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Kimber84

DPMS .243

My friend owns one in .243, shoots just as good as any other rifles I own. He's using some sort of hollow points, not sure the brand, but I'm guessing they're probably hand loads. He has also built many DPMS guns up in various calibers. The only thing he has changed is he installed Timney triggers on all of them.
Old October 14, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3
surg_res

I have always wanted one--but talked myself out of it. The 243 is my trusted go-to for just about everything in Texas. Ultimately, I've decided that I could never afford to unload a clip of the 243s, so have always stuck with 223 from a 20" AR for varmints and fun. I've used a variety of factory SJHP loads ($$) with success. Of course when you shoot an accurate, flinch-less rifle and the bullet hits home there's not really any difference between the brands.
Old October 15, 2013, 02:00 AM   #4
bamaranger

me too

Yeah, something down that line calls to me also, maybe the Rem version?

But it would strictly be a hunting rifle. Shooting it in something like 3 gun or a range toy would get expensive ammo wise, and the .243 is recognized as way overbore, and your tube would not last long me thinks.

But, in the trend to new MSR type hunting rifles, it would be a useful, low recoiling, rugged rig for whitetails, hogs with the right slug, or coyotes.
Old October 15, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
hodaka

If you reload the .260 would be the bee's knees.
Old October 15, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
SVTCobra306

I couldn't help but notice the other day that Armalite has the AR10 in .243 now also.. it would be a very good rifle. I don't know about DPMS, but Armalite uses a firing pin spring in their AR10 series rifles.. you shouldn't have to worry about slamfire issues with non-military primers.

I would stick to a 75 grain or heavier bullet to ease barrel wear, any 75-80 grain "ballistic tip" would be more than adequate for any and all varmints