The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1
CraZkid

CZ shotty

I am totlay new to shotgunning, but I like my CZ handguns so I think I will get a CZ shotgun. But which one? I will use it for deer, turkey and possibly coyote hunting as well as shooting skeet. Another question is can the same gun shoot shot and slug?
Old April 16, 2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Ruger4570

I don't know too much about CZ except that they do make some good pistols and their rifles are starting to look pretty good too. I prefer to stick with readily available guns ( Rem. Win, Browning, etc) that can be repaired locally in the event some part goes South.
As far as shooting slugs and shot.. all shotguns can be loaded with either slug or shot, it is just that some guns do better with slugs than others. I have a couple of Ithaca Deerslayers that shoot slugs like a rifle almost, others I have are just so so. Good luck and since you are new to shotgunning you might want to try your hand at some of the fun events like skeet, trap and for a real hoot.. sporting clays
Old April 16, 2005, 07:38 AM   #3
kudu

CZ shotguns are made in Turkey by Huglu. They were previously imported by Armsco untill the first of this year when CZ took over the importation.

The guns are well fitted and have nice wood, but many have internal problems. I just recently bought the SxS .410 and it's a beautiful gun and fun to shoot, but the trigger is about 9 pounds and atrocious, and 2 gunsmiths saw it and said they wouldn't touch it for liability reasons. I just bought it as a fun gun as I have almost 20 others to really shoot with.

If I wanted an all around shooter I'd go with a major brand like Remington, Beretta, Winchester, Browning, Ruger, or Ithaca. I have seen some decent Veronas that have held up pretty good on the skeet range also.
Old April 16, 2005, 05:24 PM   #4
saintjb

CZ-USA Shotguns

New guy to the forum here, this is an interesting discussion. I own firearms all over the $$ map. I buy what works for me, not what will look good at the club. I own a Barretta O/U and an old Browning, which are fine shotguns. I have to tell you though that I shot a new CZ-USA "Canvasback" the other day, they are made by Huglu in Turkey as mentioned. Just a simple plain Jane with a black receiver, 20G, with 28" barrels, and it felt as good, and shot as well as almost any gun I have used. The wood metal fit was perfect, a little stiff which you would expect with a new gun. I ended up buying it for my grandson. I may get one myself. Not from this particular post, but from what I have seen on this topic, I agree with quite a few opinions on this board, that maybe some of the US and more famous European manufacturers are living a bit too high off reputation and not putting much energy into new tight tolerence manufacturing. If anyone really takes a sincere trial of guns like this CZ, and is intellectually honest, they will agree.

From what I have seen of this forum, I am impressed with the honest and knowledgeable comments and discussions. If you don't mind I'll stick around a while.

Best Regards,
Saint JB