The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2010, 04:40 PM   #1
cet

.38 special - 140 Hornady XTP + bullseye loads

I'm looking for load data for 38 Special and +P loads. I'm using Alliant Bullseye powder, Hornady 140 grain XTP bullets. These loads will be for the wife's S&W model 60 3" 357. Couldn't find anything for this combo on Alliant's online guide. Anybody have acces to a Hornady load manual?

Thanks fellas!
Old April 12, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

For Bullseye, Hornady lists 4.2 grains to start and 5.0 maximum for .38 Special. They don't list +P loads, but basically you just increase those Bullseye charges 4% to run in the +P range (4.4 to 5.4 grains). Of course, .38 Special +P is still only half of .357 magnum pressures. In a .357 you could go warmer, but I would then be using .357 cases to avoid confusion. You would also find Bullseye a bit deficient in velocity relative to normal .357 powders as it is too fast for maximum velocity before exceeding pressure limits in .357. But in .357 cases you could go to about 6.0 grains to start and work up to 7.0 grains or perhaps a little higher. I would be switching powders before I went higher, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; April 12, 2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old April 12, 2010, 05:19 PM   #3
cet

So, does the above post mean Hornady's data is incorrect? I'm alittle confused...
Old April 12, 2010, 06:35 PM   #4
ligonierbill

Nothing wrong with Hornady's data...your good Uncle is just suggesting a light .357 mag load that is not in their manual. Hence the bold lettered warning. My only personal experience with 140 XTPs is out of a Model 66 2 1/2". Loading .357 with H110, I was happy to get 1,200 fps. That was a couple notches below max. Anything more was wasted powder. Of course, that caused the K frame to jump and bark, something I gather you do not desire.

If I may offer an opinion (so rare here, I know) Power Pistol works great in .38's. Hornady gets a full 100 fps more with XTP 140 over PP than Bullseye in a 4" Model 15. My personal favorite is a soft lead 158 SWC HP over 5.8 grains of PP. This +P load gives me a measured average of 940 fps out of a 4" Model 64.

By the way, my 7th Edition Hornady designates 5 grains of Bullseye as a +P load with an asterisk.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I confess I missed the asterisk, though neither QuickLOAD nor Sierra's same-weight same-length bullet loaded to the same COL in their manual think 5.0 quite makes it to +P, but guns are individual. You'll do better to go by what your gun likes for accuracy than to worry about every last FPS, anyway. .38 Special brass will have no problem with the somewhat warmer loads that the .357 chambers will tolerate, but I still recommend the really warm loads be put in .357 brass so they can't be accidentally chambered in a lighter gun intended only for .38 Special.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 12, 2010, 07:27 PM   #6
cet

Thanks for the info fellas! I greatly appreciate it.

I've only reloaded for rifles and am trying to quickly learn the suitabilities of pistol powders and burn rates.

I'm looking for a good load for my wife's revolver. She has lots of firearm experience, just not with pistols. She spents lots of time hiking in lion country, but mainly concerned about running into bad guys out in the middle of nowhere.

If anyone has any suggestions on bullets our powders, I'd appreciate the info.

Oh and again, this is for a S&W model 60 with 3" barrel chambered for 357, but will probably stick to 38 or 38 +P loads.

THANKS!!!