The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 12, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
MaDMaXX

Best gun *safe* under $500

So i know this is a contentious issue, especially given the 'security' of safes at this price point, however, bear in mind the following:

1) Security isn't a high concern for me (not going into why)

2) I like the interior of a safe Vs a cabinet (regarding gun storage/protection)

3) I prefer an electronic lock

4) Cheaper the better, but i do want as many guns as possible (capacity) including long-guns.

Any suggestions?

I like the ones with some shelving in there in order to store pistols and maybe ammo.

Thanks.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:59 PM   #2
MaDMaXX

Wow, 243 views and not even an attacking comment?

Has no one gone this route?
Old August 13, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3
JustinBiscuit

I guess the question is "what are you protecting from?

A $500 safe will not protect against...

Fire
environment (humidity)
Theft

It may protect against little hands, however in that case just buy trigger locks.
Old August 13, 2013, 10:09 PM   #4
MaDMaXX

Per the OP, i'm wanting a storage area that's at least partially secure that allows me to have a dehumidifier in there.

So the fire rated safes <$500 don't protect against fire?

I'll ignore the humidity portion, that's not based on the container.

Theft, as per the OP, that's not really a concern.
Old August 14, 2013, 12:06 AM   #5
JustinBiscuit

free advice man, however

no

I'll ignore the humidity portion, that's not based on the container.

yes it it.

Try this...

http://bunkerboxes.com/products
Old August 14, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
southjk

There is just not a lot out there in the way of large capacity safes for under $500. I think that's why you aren't getting many responses. When you first posted this I did a quick search of some safe brands and the only thing I could find in that range were 16 gun safes. Not very large. Since you are not too worried about security there are always gun cabinets that could hold a large quantity of guns and could be decked out inside the way you want.
Old August 14, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
MaDMaXX

Justinbiscuit, i appreciate your answers regardless.

I perhaps didn't make myself very clear on the size though, a 16 gun would be plenty big enough for me, even taking into consideration of expanding my 'arsenal'

I did look at the cabinets, but the security and more importantly, then interior on them is considerably lower quality. Even the most basic safe is going to be a lot more secure than the cabinets.
Old August 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Tucker 1371

IMO the difference in a safe and a gun locker is the weight, two men of average build can pick up and move a gun locker containing 16 long guns and some accessories, probably not quietly but it's reasonable to believe they could, and deal with the lock later. A gun locker is only good for, IMO, keeping untrained persons (ie kids) from hurting themselves with your guns. Some of them may be fireproof but will likely lack the weight necessary to keep them from being carried off. That said you could presumable bolt one to the floor and make it slightly more theft-proof.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old August 14, 2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Psychedelic Bang

I really need a safe too, and they are expensive as all get out.. However.. This thread just inspired me to scope out ebay... Nice prices, but I'd be careful...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

I've bought a few things off of ebay.. Sometimes disappointed, sometimes not. The thing about a safe is, "its a big box of steal." On ebay, I'd go lo-tech.. something with a combo lock, where you can change the combo.

You can easily control humidity, in a lo-tech steel box.. just with a proper dessicant...

Edit = a used winchester.. electronic lock.. looks big.. starting bid @ $450

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-2...item4175db10b4
Old August 14, 2013, 08:07 PM   #10
YARDDOG(1)

Dicks had some on sale..16 gun standard combo & Fire rated.. Instore sale has better prices JMO ; )
Y/D
Old August 14, 2013, 08:07 PM   #11
MaDMaXX

Right, and typically, i'm going for the other differences too;

Gun cabinets/lockers are simple metal construction with a key lock and basic bar to 'secure' the door shut.

Safes are actually combo locks, either manual or electronic, they also have more locking points round the door, not just the simple bar of the cabinet. They also tend to have finished interiors and a lot have fireproofing of some kind.

Either way, fastening a cheap safe to ground will provide considerably more than any gun cabinet ever will. As i said previously, safe Vs safe aside, a cheap safe (under 500) is still going to be more secure than anything under it.

If you're just wanting a really good safe, then you have to spend more, that i found out, but i'll take the security of a base-line safe over nothing at all or a cabinet.

That Winchester is a bid price if only it was a buy it now

Also of note, Bimart are no longer going to be stocking the Sentry safe line, they're replacing them with Winchester safes, so might be an opportunity to grab a cheaper deal on the Sentry, or wait till the Winchester comes in later this year.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:24 PM   #12
coronatj

I can't believe this wasn't already suggested. I'm like you, I just want something a little better than a cabinet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html

Old August 14, 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
mwmjones

Every CHristmas Lowes reduces their gun safes and I currently own two of the smallest 12 gun models made by Liberty the Centurian model I belive they are called. Usually they are marked at $400+ but the reduce them to ONLY $299 and if you select off of their website asking for a moving coupon to be sent to you sometime around Thanksgiving you can save another 10% or $30 bucks off for a great little safe.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_387166-10283...afe&facetInfo=
Old August 14, 2013, 09:12 PM   #14
MaDMaXX

They're two nice little safes

Shame the Centurion doesn't have an electronic lock
Old August 15, 2013, 06:59 AM   #15
jaguarxk120

Just wondeing about the lock? Why a electronic lock?
Old August 15, 2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:

no
You are saying a safe, rated at 1400° for 30 minutes by an independant testing lab like ETL means nothing?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 15, 2013, 07:18 PM   #17
MaDMaXX

Reason for the electronic lock is ease of access, i've tried to use the combo lock in a store and their a PITA.

If you won't access the safe much, it's fine, but if you want in and out, electronic is best.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If you won't access the safe much, it's fine, but if you want in and out, electronic is best.
Unless the battery is dead, a circuit burns out, or one or more of the buttons fails to properly make contact!

Quote:
i've tried to use the combo lock in a store and their a PITA
You never had a combination lock on your locker in high school?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 16, 2013, 12:27 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

Fire ratings don't mean squat when the heat destroys the contents. Electronic locks are subject to failure, usually at the wrong time.

Cheap safes are typically imported and the steel quality is usually suspect. "Fire proofing" usually means a layer or two of drywall sandwiched inbetween thin sheet metal.
Old August 16, 2013, 02:38 PM   #20
iraiam

Quote:
You are saying a safe, rated at 1400° for 30 minutes by an independent testing lab like ETL means nothing?
It is at least a little protection, but I think it's rated for the AVERAGE house fire in the USA, where they burn at several hundred degrees for 20 minutes, I am sure this number is due to large metro areas with numerous and fast responding fire stations.

Fire certifications on gun safes are inferior for many major house fires IMO, a major house fire can easily get up to copper pipe and wire melting temperatures, way above even some very expensive safes with 90 minute @ 1400 degree certification.

If you have ever seen a serious fire resistant safe you'll know what I'm talking about, I have one "small" safe with a much higher rating than most gun safes. The walls and door are about 6.5" thick with a multiple "stair step" on the door seal. this small safe is very heavy for it's size due to the amount of dense fire resistance in the walls of the thing, I was told by a safe guy that did some work on the lock for me that it's lined with 2000 degree soft fire clay.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; August 16, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old August 17, 2013, 12:10 AM   #21
MaDMaXX

Cheapshooter, no, i didn't have a locker in high school, we don't have them in England.

Most if not all electric locks have backup/failsafe solutions, even big gunsafe suppliers recommend them.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:25 AM   #22
mwmjones

Pepsi Machine Gun safe

Pepsi Machine Gun safe

Old August 18, 2013, 02:02 AM   #23
MaDMaXX

Haha, like it
Old August 18, 2013, 06:45 AM   #24
rustyboy

safe

Just in case you decide on a CANON SAFE, read their reviews first. I DIDN'T. the lock burnt up "ELECTRONIC" after 6 mths. They would not stand behind their product after 6 attemps by me trying to explain that it was not doing anything as far as trying to unlock. I had to pay $172 .00 to have the NEW SAFE drilled & opened,
Old August 20, 2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Skans

Your best bet is to look for used gun safes on Craigs List.

Last edited by Skans; August 20, 2013 at 09:22 AM.