The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 27, 2015, 04:04 PM   #26
BigJimP

The best for you ...is what fits your hands the best....

For me, in all those calibers, it would be a full sized 1911 from Wilson Combat....( I currently have Wilson's in 9mm and .45 acp -- have had one in .40 S&W but sold it at a huge profit because I wasn't shooting it much - and I don't want a 10mm made by anyone...but if I did it would be a Wilson ( and I would put an Ed Brown a close 2nd to Wilson ).
Old December 6, 2015, 01:31 PM   #27
ZeroTX

I stay exclusively with 9mm, with the exception of my S&W 642 CC gun. It's easier to deal with just one caliber and if the feces comes into contact with the fan, we'll be able to obtain 9mm from international sources. Good luck with .40s&w. You'll have some useless metal chunks in your collection.

That said, I have a Beretta 92FS and I am looking at a Glock 17 Gen4 as another full-size 9mm to have around. I like large magazine capacities, so the 15-17roudns available in those guns is ideal. To defend against a home invader, which usually comes in groups not single individuals, a wall of 18 (17+1) 9mm hollow points is going to be more effective than 7 or 8 .45acp's.
Old December 6, 2015, 02:48 PM   #28
The Few The Proud

Pistols

I like the following they have responded well and are accurate. I am an amputee so I hold these pistols with one hand and they hand little to no recoil.

1. Cz 75 tactical sport 9mm

2. Smith and Wesson M&P shield in either 9mm or 40

3. Now this is not in the caliber you listed but I really like the FN Five Seven 5.7 X 28mm.
Old December 6, 2015, 07:27 PM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
best guns in pistol calibers
"Best" is subjective at best.

Nevertheless, here are my choices:

9mm: Tie: Browning Hi-Power; CZ 75

.40: CZ 75

.45 ACP: 1911

10mm: None
SIFE
Old December 7, 2015, 06:54 PM   #30
849ACSO

Quote:
The ones that YOU shoot the best, are reliable, you have confidence in, and can afford!
^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old December 9, 2015, 11:05 AM   #31
chaim

Quote:
The ones that YOU shoot the best, are reliable, you have confidence in, and can afford!

The most important thing is that you try several that you select from makes, and models you like. Don't befooled by price either. Mane top of the line, high end guns aren't anything sugnificantly better than less costly name brand guns.
If you are looking for a list of suggestions for you to consider, I have to agree with the above advice.

If you are looking for a for fun thread with a list of everyone's favorite guns in different calibers, here is mine based on guns I've owned or friend's guns, rentals and others I've shot on multiple occasions:

9mm:
Depends upon if you are talking full sized service guns or compact micro-9s. For the full-sized gun, the CZ 75B hands down. For the micro-9mm, it is between my SIG P290RS and a buddy's Kahr PM9.

.40S&W:
I was stupid to sell my SIG P229 a few years back. If they weren't so darned expensive, or if I wasn't on a teacher's salary, I'd have replaced it long ago.

.45ACP:
I love the 1911 platform. Feels good in my hands, points naturally, and is very accurate. Though, for some reason, the SIG P220 Carry or Combat has been high on my want list for a few years now.

10mm:
I don't have one, and I've never shot one. I wouldn't mind a 1911 for the range. If I was going to get one for self defense, it would be one of the Glocks. I love SIG, and SIG is putting the P220 out in 10mm, so that may win out if I ever actually buy a 10mm (doubtful).
Old December 10, 2015, 10:44 AM   #32
jetinteriorguy

Since the term "guns" was used, I'm going with my Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 Mag. It hits everything I aim at out to 50 yards. So far that's all the further I've been able to shoot it. If I could keep only one rifle and handgun it would be the Henry and my S&W 627.
Old December 11, 2015, 10:46 AM   #33
rpseraph

That I like and shoot the best?

Ummm...

9mm - Springfield XDM. I own it, I love it, I shoot it well.
.40 - Glock 23, because its the only 40 I've regularly shot.
.45 - Springfield 1911, smooth, well put together, easy to shoot
10mm - Haven't shot one, but I just watched Hickok45 shoot a nice looking Sig in 10mm, so I'll throw that out.