The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 22, 2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Brando1992

looking for where to get a lightweight cheap ar15 upper

I recently built my dream ar15 which just happened to be my first. I shot quite a few and really got a feel for what i wanted and for me its perfect... but not so much for my wife haha.

I have an 18in match grade fluted bull bbl with a 15in keymod freefloat rail. she is 5'1" and weighs like about 100lbs. she enjoys shooting ar's and and loves irons. but mine is scoped and to heavy for her to enjoy shooting. So, I am looking to get another .223/5.56 upper preferably a standard M4A3 16in carbine upper, also would prefer it to not be stainless. I would like to get an upper for her to enjoy shooting, for me to use to get better at irons and to use for mag dumps and home defense(currently have a mossberg and glock 19 by my bed, would prefer my ar to be my go to).

Im going to just interchange my bolt carrier group and charging handle, so Im needing help finding an upper for the $200 range that fits all my needs.
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old November 22, 2015, 11:40 PM   #2
Tjohn

Check out Palmetto State Armory for that price range.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but are you talking about switching the bolt carrier group back and forth between the two rifles? I would recommend obtaining a complete upper which includes the bolt carrier group as the bolt lugs tend to conform to the chamber lugs and you may create issues alternating use of the same bolt in two rifles.
Old November 23, 2015, 01:06 AM   #3
Metal god

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15...to-223/16.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 23, 2015, 08:32 PM   #4
Regular Joe

You may as well just make it a package, and get this:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...view/id/14434/
for her too.
If you go with this upper:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ng-handle.html
you may well come to believe that hers is more "perfect" than yours.
Old November 23, 2015, 09:21 PM   #5
lamarw

I don't know if you can still do it or not, but I paid less than $550.00 last February for my NIB S&W Sport. It came with a warranty and was not blemished or requiring any type of assembly. It also came with a magazine.

I did have to pay sales tax which took it to $579.00. I did not have to pay any shipping since it came out of a relatively close by gun store. I did not have to pay for the FFL either.

I can't say this is the answer to your requirements.
Old November 24, 2015, 08:05 AM   #6
marine6680

Here is a lightweight build kit.

It has an FN made CHF chrome lined lightweight profile barrel... Very good barrels. I have a standard profile version, and that thing is great.

All you need with that kit is a lower, and those are on sale for $50 all the time from PSA.

It costs more than just an upper... But you have a complete rifle rather than swapping uppers and BCG around.

Last edited by marine6680; November 24, 2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old November 28, 2015, 08:41 PM   #7
cookie5

The Palmetto Armory Premium line of products are about as good as it gets.