The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 8, 2013, 03:14 AM   #1
trkkshotbry

Help me with my 22.

Ok here's the deal.

I own two Stephens model 87A rifles. Both are accurate and reliable far beyond one would expect from a pair of 76yr old rifles. They are currently helping teach their 4th generation of Stephens kids to shoot but I think I'd really like to add better sights to at least one of them.
Does anybody know of a peep sight or scope mount that Stevens or Savage offered for their model 87A rifles? I want a quality receiver mounted adjustable peep sight to add that extra 10" of sight radius instead of a peep sight to replace the old barrel mounted rear leaf type sight.
Failing that I'd like an original Stevens or Savage scope mount.

Your advice and help will be greatly appreciated by not only myself but my 3 kids.
Thank you.
Old August 8, 2013, 11:29 AM   #2
jonnyc

I have an old Stevens 66B that had a mounting for a target peep. I found an original-equipment sight at a gunshow. I'm not familiar with your model, but there's a good chance that it takes the same Steven's OEM peep.
Does yours have "mounting slots" on the rear left of the receiver?
Old August 8, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
trkkshotbry

No "slots" but it does have two holes already drilled and tapped with dummy screws installed.
These holes are arrainged fore and aft about an inch apart roughly two inches forward of the aft end of the receiver. Instead of being at the very top at 12 O'clock position they are offset to the left closer to 10:30 or 11:00.
Its these factory drilled #10X32 holes that got me thinking receiver mounted peep sight in the first place.
Old August 8, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

Call Williams gun sight co. in michigan. I'll bet they have something for it.
Old August 8, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
trkkshotbry

Good idea thanks
Old August 8, 2013, 09:00 PM   #6
candr44

Those holes are for a Weaver N3 scope mount. They aren't made anymore but are still fairly easy to find at gun shows and the internet. The N3 will limit you to a old Weaver 3/4 inch scope that may not have held up with age. Although, many old Weaver 3/4 inch scopes seem to hold up well over time but the optics leave a lot to be desired compared to modern 1 inch scopes.

There is a modern Weaver mount that will allow you to use a 1 inch scope. You will need the Weaver #2 mount and the rings that attach to it.
Old August 9, 2013, 04:15 AM   #7
trkkshotbry

Thanks Candr44.
I found an old Lyman peep sight on Ebay that looks lime it might bolt right up also.
I'm not really interested in a scope for these rifles as they are used to teach my family to shoot.
Ill start them off with the peep sighted model, then the standard rear sight and if they want to progress past that they need their own rifle.
Excellent information though, I thank you.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #8
double bogey

Look at Lymans website. They may list your gun. I'm assuming it's not grooved. If it is, then a tech sight.