The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Chokes for Skeet

I still mainly just shoot 16 yard trap, but am shooting a bit of skeet and wonder about chokes. I have two skeet chokes and one improved cyllinder, but to date I have just dropped a skeet choke in each barrel. Should I try hitting the target that is close in with the a barrel choked with a skeet and the one furthest out with with the ic?

Say I am shooting doubles on 1. Set up for my first shot to be IC and for the second shot I shoot the barrel choked with a Skeet as it is broken pretty close in.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
jrothWA

Have shot skeet with Red label usingfixed chokes

in SK & SK.
The point of cross0ver is the stake out 25 yds from the stations.

Sk is good for max of 35 yds.

Basic doubles rules is to shoot the away bird first then pull up(back) into the incoming bird. [Have been known to do the opposite, too! ]

Have shot skeeet with oump using an IC, with np problem.

Just require more practice.

Good luck and ENJOY!
Old May 28, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
oneounceload

There ya go again Klawman, trying to overthink it again - put your SK chokes in and shoot the bird

No target over about 21 yards, so just make your swing and pull the trigger
Old May 28, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4
zippy13

Skeet-N-Skeet

Quote:
Set up for my first shot to be IC and for the second shot I shoot the barrel choked with a Skeet as it is broken pretty close in.
An experienced Skeet shooter will shoot his targets in the same place (typically over the center stake) at each station. Except for Station-8, all your shots will be about 21-yards. IMHO, Skeet over Skeet will optimize your scores.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:19 PM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
The point of cross0ver is the stake out 25 yds from the stations.
Not on a standard field. It's 21-yards, if you've got a NSSA rule book like mine.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:40 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Quote:
There ya go again Klawman, trying to overthink it again
Who ME
Old May 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

TKM,

I shoot skeet/skeet on the screw-in choke equipped guns... I've seen my Pops shoot straights with IC/Mod fixed choke guns (my browning for example ) but your are definitely improving your chances for success with sk/sk...
Old May 29, 2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Slugo

SK/SK is the correct choke combination for skeet shooting...
Old May 29, 2012, 10:57 AM   #9
BigJimP

Skeet and Skeet is your best option for Skeet shooting.

The reason your gun came with a pair of Skeet chokes and one Imp Cyclinder....is some shooters (not all ) ...when they get to a "shoot off" ...and they shoot doubles from stations 3, 4 and 5 ...(not in a typical round ...just in shoot offs )....in the shoot-off they will put a Skeet choke in bottom barrel and an IC in top barrel to tighten it up a little for that 2nd target that is a little further out than normal ( especially if they're not quick with good eyesight )...they feel a little more under control with the IC in the 2nd barrel vs feeling rushed with a Skeet choke in that 2nd barrel.

Now, serious Skeet shooters like Zippy ...or my buddy Dave...will scoff at this concept ..( but they won plenty of shootoffs in their prime ) with Skeet and Skeet in their guns / my buddy Dave has his Skeet - Skeet chokes lock-tighted into his tubes...and he just laughs when I say this ... / but that is why Browning shipped your gun with a pair of Skeet and one IC.

Switching chokes on a regular round ...like in station 1, 2 .....or 6,7 is a bad idea...stay with Sk - Sk ...on a regular round of Skeet.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:25 AM   #10
zippy13

Jim, while I don't change chokes when shooting doubles events or in shoot-offs, I do cheat. I shoot 1-1/8 oz loads in 12-ga events; but, in doubles, I'll drop the first shot to 1 oz to allow a faster recovery. In the smaller gauges I use the same loads for shoot-offs.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:45 AM   #11
BigJimP

That's not cheating Zippy ....that's just being smart ...and knowing what works for you.

As you know we have a bunch of visitors and members here...who don't shoot Targets as serioiusly as you did.../ your comments are another example of how thinking about these games, gives you an edge - and preparing mentally for competition is a really big deal. There is only
" 1 target " ....that often will separate ...who wins ....and who gets beat by 30 other shooters in a tournament.

I was lucky enough to win back to back state shoots, in my class, for sporting clays in the 28ga ...and both years, I lost to the same guy, in .410 , by one lousy bird....and even though it was 10 yrs ago ...it still aggravates me to no end..../and its not the trophy - or the belt buckle or whatever it was for ...its that there were 5 or 6 targets on the courses, in both years, that I missed that I should have broken ...shooting a 7 instead of an 8 - because of a mental lapse...or misreading a pair of targets...all the little things that add up to winning or losing... / now maybe he said the same thing....but at that moment in time, he beat me mentally - and we were both on the course at the same time / but on different stations in different squads...so we had no way of knowing what the other was doing...a little mental edge, is a really big deal ! You were being smart !
Old May 29, 2012, 02:05 PM   #12
TheKlawMan

I will just stay with skeet/skeet, but I wasn't even thinking about switching out chokes in the middle of a round. I was wondering about having an ic in one barrel, a skeet in the other, and depednding on the station selecting which to shoot first with the barrel switch.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:08 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

BigJim, That rat who beat you those two years was probably a ringer; a flip flop wearing transplant from Southern California.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; May 29, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #14
zippy13

Jim, when there's a classification system, there's gonna be sandbaggers. It's amazing how some folks who shoot C-class at all the friendly little club shoots can shoot A-class scores when there's some money in the pot.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:06 PM   #15
BigJimP

B, C and D classes are some of the toughest out there...because these good shooters transition thru them on their way up to AA or Master.

But he beat me - fair and square. I had met him a couple of times...but I was only a casual acquaintance / although I do think at one point in his shooting he was a pretty serious skeet shooter...but he just excelled at the sub-gague events ( but I beat him, both years, in the 28ga events - same tournaments ). I would have just liked that title ..one year...in the .410 as well....but it is, what it is...
Old May 29, 2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Jim Watson

Once upon a time, you bought a Skeet gun, you got WS-1 and WS-2 or Skeet In and Skeet Out. Turned out not to be necessary.