The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 8, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Inheriting firearms in California

What is the status of firearms inherited when they were purchased before the current background check/registration? A friend just found a Browning .380, a High Standard and other firearms in his mother's estate.

Also, as I understand it, transporting firearms in the locked trunk of a car qualifies for the locked container even in ammon is in another container within the trunk. Correct? I always transport inside a locked box in the trunk so I am not clear on that.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old March 8, 2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Samuel2001

As I understand, if the firearms were part of the mothers estate the firearms are his to keep. I belive this falls under the grandfather clause.
Unless the firearms are registered assault weapons or a registered .50 cal rifle, he has nothing to worry about.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old March 8, 2010, 05:05 PM   #3
GunsAreGood

Samuel2001 I believe that the grandfather clause does not include pistols in California. (Don't quote me on that). I would not be mad if corrected because I am in the same boat. I was just about to post a thread asking if anyone knew about the inheritance of a pistol that was bought before it had to be registered in California.Guy B. Meredith Yes your trunk is considered a locked container but I would not carry ammo in the trunk as well. I transport any pistol in a locked container that is in my locked trunk with the ammo inside the car with me. It is my understanding that maybe not illegal in California but it is best to not have your ammo and gun in the same area in the car or trunk.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 8, 2010, 05:44 PM   #4
NavyLT

Quote:
What is the status of firearms inherited when they were purchased before the current background check/registration? A friend just found a Browning .380, a High Standard and other firearms in his mother's estate.
Look on page 37 of this booklet:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

Within 30 days of acquiring the firearms, your "friend" must complete the following form:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf

and send it in with $19 for each firearm to the CA DOJ. :barf:

Or move back to America before the 30 days is up!