The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Slugo

some photos of an old war horse Stevens 311...

this one is from the 50's. Has the better 5100 action and came with real black walnut furniture, not cheap plastic like tennite found in later 311's. 20ga with 28" barrels and even a factory installed mid-bead! Gun is in very nice condition and belonged to a local college history professor. I shoot it now and then, but hangs proudly on my home office wall most of the time...

Old June 25, 2011, 02:59 AM   #2
youngunz4life

thanx for the pix

that's a nice shotgun
Old June 25, 2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Very nice.

What college, Slugo? I grew up in Central Pennsylvania and went to college in Carlisle.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Slugo

Mike, Lebanon Valley College in Annville. So, you went to Dickinson! I still shoot on occasion at Carlisle Sportsmans Club. Sporting clays on Saturdays and skeet during the week. I'm a Penn State guy...

PS: I'm in the process of looking for a condo in Williamsburg. My daughter and SIL live in VA Beach. He's an EOD with ST10 located in Little Creek. I shoot at Oceana Naval Air Station when I'm there. Also, Old Forge Sporting Clays in Providence Forge, VA...
Old June 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #5
CLC

Mike
Dickinson I presume I live close by although I don't go.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Slugo

CLC, I'm in the Hershey area. Where do you shoot?!?
Old June 25, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Hawg

The 5100 was discontinued in 48 and was morphed into the 311 in 49. Some of the early ones carry both 5100 and 311 markings.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, Dickinson College.

I grew up in Marysville, on the other side of the river from Harrisburg.

Great place to grow up, small town with access with easy access to woods for hunting, a decent local Sportsmen's Club with adequate ranges, and close enough to a "city" that you didn't feel isolated.

I shot a couple of times at the Carlisle club. Nice facilities.

Shot a lot of trap in Harrisburg back in the 1980s.

Always wanted a Stevens 311. Nice utilitarian shotguns, and they, for whatever reason, fit me well.

But, just never worked out. I'll have to go looking for one again.

Old June 25, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Pahoo

Brings back great memories.

One of these was my high school sweetheart. That is to say that all through my junior and senior high schools years, I hunted exclusively with a 311 in 12Ga. Mine had the new "unbreakable" plastic stock that wound up in three pieces, one very cold morning. Replaced it with a walnut stock and kept on shooting till I got out of the service. Finally gave it to my nephew and it's now lost in time. .....

These are just very serviceable shotguns and sure took my share of Pheasants with it. Yours is a real beauty and brings back great memories. Thank you for your post. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 25, 2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Slugo

Mike, what part of northern VA do you reside? I usually travel 81 South to Winchester, then cut over to 66 and eventually 17 to 95 south. Then on to VA Beach.

BTW, I'm in the process of selling the Stevens!
Old June 25, 2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm in Fairfax, outside of DC.

You're actively selling it, or you're looking to sell it?

If you don't have a buyer right now, send me a PM.

Old June 25, 2011, 07:22 PM   #12
CLC

Haha feels like a small world sometimes. I grew up in boiling springs and now live in carlisle. Just became a member of the carlisle indoor range at the beginning of this year.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Slugo

CLC, I was an architectural grad from PSU. I worked for Bixler and Bixler architects in Boiling Springs. We were located off the main drag in the old Grange building! I was one of the project architects on the design of the new South Middleton Twp. senior high school. That was back in 72! Wow!!

Small world, here's my old office in the Springs...

Boiling Springs lakefront residence...

old converted barn on the lake...

Boiling Springs Tavern!!
Old June 26, 2011, 12:38 AM   #14
JiminTexas

I have the same gun in 12 Ga that I use for Cowboy Action Shooting. Just last night I installed the Wolf reduced power spring set. It took me about three hours of cursing, four bandaids from poking myself in the finger with a screwdriver trying to get the screws back in and a plethora of profanity, but it was worth it. I see by the photo that your 20 Ga. has the same problem that my gun did. It only comes part way openand when you force it all they way open it has a tendency to try to partially close. That is not good for cowboy Action Shooting where fast reloads are required. brownells has the spring sets. In fact they have two sets. The Brownels brand is $10 more than the Wolf brand and Wolf makes both sets. Step by step instructions are here:
http://marauder.homestead.com/Stevens311.html
You'll need a pair of nedle nose pliers, a couple of screwdrivers, one of them about 8 to 10 inches long to get to the butt stock screw, a long 5/32" pin punch (or a finishing nail), a box of band aids and about six beers.
Old June 26, 2011, 12:42 AM   #15
youngunz4life

Slugo

Quote:
CLC, I was an architectural grad from PSU.
PSU as in Plymouth State University in New Hampshire(used to be PSC - Plymouth State College)?
Old June 26, 2011, 01:14 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

PSU = The Pennsylvania State University.

"I worked for Bixler and Bixler architects in Boiling Springs."

Oh dear...

I'm pretty sure that my Father worked on some projects with Bixler and Bixler. He was a Civil Engineer.

Dad, Grandpa, and Great Grandpa were all engineers, and were all PSU grads.

I'm not 100% certain, but that white house on the other side of the lake in the middle photo?

I think that might be the house where my ex and I had our wedding reception. We were married at the little Methodist Church in Boiling Springs, and spent a good portion of the evening before our wedding at the Tavern.

Old June 26, 2011, 01:20 AM   #17
youngunz4life

Quote:
PSU = The Pennsylvania State University.
ok thanx mike
Old June 26, 2011, 07:04 AM   #18
Slugo

Mike, when I was with Bixler and Bixler there were only four people in the firm. Jack Bixler, Jr., his father (what a great man), myself and another architect. We subcontracted with other design professionals for the mechanical, structural, electrical and site development disciplines.

A very simple time back then. I used to take my fly rod to work and hit the Yellow Breeches either at lunch or after work! My wife and I still go to Allenberry for summer plays and dinner. Some of the best, but challanging years of my life...
Old June 26, 2011, 10:28 AM   #19
CLC

I spent alot if not all my time on the yellow breaches as a child lol I even had one of the gentleman at the fly shop teach me how to flyfish. One of my greatest regrets was putting the rod down. Im also lucky to have family in the heart of steelhead country.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:23 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

Whelp, looks like I'm going to be getting myself a new shotgun... Just have to figure out the logistics.

And, in discussing it with Slugo last evening, we discovered that we know a LOT of the same people in Central Pennsylvania.

Small world.

And Dave McC?

THIS IS YOUR DAMNED FAULT FOR ASKING ME TO WATCH OVER THE SHOTGUN FORUM WHILE YOU WENT TO PITTSBURGH!

Old June 27, 2011, 06:35 AM   #21
Slugo

Very small world indeed!
Old June 27, 2011, 09:49 AM   #22
shortwave

Quote:
And Dave McC?

THIS IS YOUR DAMNED FAULT FOR ASKING ME TO WATCH OVER THE SHOTGUN FORUM WHILE YOU WENT TO PITTSBURGH!
Just more proof that things happen for a reason Mike.

Only on TFL.

What a wonderful chain of events.

P.S. Very nice Stevens indeed Slugo.
Old June 27, 2011, 10:14 AM   #23
Slugo

thanks Shortwave! Hopefully, our stand in moderator will enjoy it for many years...
Old June 27, 2011, 01:37 PM   #24
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I emphatically deny wrongdoing!!!

Some things are just meant to be...

Enjoy the new shotgun, Mike. Hopefully before too long, you'll get a chance to beat me with it at Wobble.....
Old June 30, 2011, 12:27 AM   #25
bamaranger

Dad's

My Dad hunted w/ a 16 ga 311 that was very early producton, and I have a soft spot for a 311 in 12 ga, , but have never found one that was just not plain near beat to death.

A 12 ga, full and full, 28" would suit me just fine, but I could live w/ full and modified.

Question, did they make a full and full, 311 with 28" or shorter tubes.