The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 26, 2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Sgt.Fathead

New Rem 700 for Deer.....Best Round?

It's me, the newbie (to hunting four legged animals) hunter again! I just picked up my deer rifle for Fall season in NY state, a Remington 700 leftover Dale Earnhardt, Jr. in .30-06 with the black composite stock and the big white "8" on the stock (which I am going to cover with an elastic bullet band).

As a former Marine 0331 I am familiar with exactly one kind of rifle round, the 5.56mm NATO rounds handed out in cans and bandoliers for the M16A2s we had in my time. As a Machine Gunner, I am really familiar with the 100 round belts of 7.62mm/.30 ammo for the M60E3 that was my primary weapon and not too far off in terms of dimensions with the .30-06 cartridge.

Now I'm faced with a vast array of choices for this new rifle. My hunting partner Ed, also going with the .30-06, and I are likely going to buy a half dozen boxes of different ammo each, swap half boxes and proceed to testing them. I bought a box of 20 American Eagle 150-grain rounds the day I picked up the rifle because some small part of me that is still that young Marine from twenty years ago doesn't like having a weapon and no ammo for it. I also wanted something cheap to test it with.

Any and all help is appreciated. We will be going for Whitetails in NY state, hunting from stands or still hunting, from October to November. I imagine that I'll either be shooting from a seated, standing or standing with rest position at ranges under 100 yards. Thanks!
Old April 26, 2007, 01:16 AM   #2
gdvan01

The 'best' round for your gun will most likely be different than the 'best' round for Ed's gun which I'm guessing you were already aware of. Personally, I was using either Winchester or Federal in the 165-180 grain range when I was using a Ruger .30-06 to hunt whitetails years ago. If you like the double-lung shots, the 150's should be sufficient. If you like breakin' shoulders when you pop 'em, I'd go with a heavier round. Just my two cents...

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old April 26, 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
kametc

SGT, Excellent choice of rifle, your 30.06 will shoot plenty fast and flat using 150 gr loads. I have taken several deer using the 150 Remington coreloct bullet. some of those slugs expanded to the size of a dime. Since then I started handloading everything and now use only two bullets mainly 165 gr Sierra gameking spitzers and 150 gr Speer mag tips. One rifle likes one of em and the other rifle likes the other.
Incedently, why the elastic bullet band on the stock? I see alot of guys using them but I tend to spend alot of time prone or otherwise on the ground bellycrawling and the like. (read that Antelope hunting) Spitzer bullets tend to get kind of beat up when the're exposed like that. ( like the belts on your 60) Check out an Uncle Mikes ammo holder for your belt, it's folded with velcro, holds 10 .06 rounds, totally protected & fast access.
You'll like your .06 and if you decide to come west sometime it will make an excellent elk rifle as well.
Old April 26, 2007, 01:48 AM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Not Camo w/ Big White 8

Thanks to you both for the excellent info! I'm sure Ed's going to get different results with his gun. Though he has yet to purchase it, he will likely also get a Rem 700 though he really likes wood stocks.

The only reason i thought of the bullet band is, there's a big white number "8" on the stock because it's a Dale Earnhardt, Jr. model. Like this one:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...rnhardt_jr.asp

I'll be damned I'm trucking into the brush with that thing honking like a neon sign! Maybe I'll use a bullet band, maybe I'll sand it off...I'm not sure yet!
Old April 26, 2007, 01:53 AM   #5
kametc

Yeah, it definitly needs to hide the tattoo. Maybe another decal? Something Camo or Neat? LOL
Old April 26, 2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Sgt.Fathead

Damage

I would rather not sand the sucker off...maybe after I use this rifle a bit I can sell it to a collector who is also a NASCAR fan. For that reason I have strongly considered removing the Earnhardt stock and going with a Remington factory replacement. Cabela's has the same stock, sans "8", plain black for around $88. and the camo version for $99. but I would prefer to just cover it and will, saving the $$$ for good glass, sling, hard case, gasoline, road food, etc...
Old April 26, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hardly a deer in North America that a 150-grain bullet won't kill. All you're getting with a heavier bullet is more recoil, not more effectiveness. Brand? Type of tip? Whatever your particular rifle likes insofar as group size from the benchrest. Odds are that it won't really matter on a target as large as the kill zone of a deer at the usual distances.

Art
Old April 26, 2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Sgt.Fathead

Thanks

Thanks Art! I'm figuring Ed and I will feed our individual 700 models those half-boxes of 06 ammo and see what they prefer. I will post all of our findings and shots of our completed rifles soon!
Old April 26, 2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Jseime

For just deer shooting any ol 150-165 grain soft point will knock em down real fast. Just find a brand that your gun likes.

The elastic ammunition holder is a great idea for the big "8" on your stock. Youll find that it covers up the ugly as well as being quite practical.
Old April 26, 2007, 06:41 PM   #10
BIGR

Your caliber selection was right on target. The 30.06 will do a superb job.
Old April 26, 2007, 10:30 PM   #11
Sgt.Fathead

.30-06

General consensus in all my research showed it was a great all around caliber. I have fired and like the .308 which is a big military round for France, Belgium and some Brit units but there wasn't as wide a range of rounds made for it. I'm pleased with my choice!
Old April 27, 2007, 06:20 AM   #12
ZeroJunk

The worst performance I have had on deer was with the premium bullets like Barnes X and Nosler Partitions where the bullet did not expand.I used them thinking that more expensive had to be better ,but on deer I'm not too sure.I know the 165 and 180 premium bullets are great for Elk,Moose,Bear ,etc when you really need the bullet to stay intact for a long penetration.But on deer I have gone lighter and softer or ballistic tip.
Old April 27, 2007, 08:42 AM   #13
Sgt.Fathead

Better and Better

Got the exact same advice yesterday from a co-worker...getting ready to test those rounds! Thanks!
Old April 30, 2007, 12:53 AM   #14
piercfh

Try the 168 winchester supreme. I load those bullets for my friend's 06 and it shoots well under MOA. Sometimes a rifle wont agree with the coating that they put on those supreme bullets, but others like it just fine. He has had good luck with those bullets, and done a good job with the cheap 165gr. winchester soft points. I think those are the cheapest bullets at walmart and they shoot well.
Old April 30, 2007, 11:08 AM   #15
Sgt.Fathead

Winchesters

I have never liked Winchester shotgun ammo for various reasons but will add your suggestion to my list. Here in NJ, the anti-gun state, Wally's does not carry ammo, nor even BB guns in some areas. We usually drive to PA when we are told of a sale! Thanks for the tip.
Old April 30, 2007, 03:14 PM   #16
Fremmer

Try a variety of plain-jane soft point loads. You don't need a premium round to kill deer; most of the regular brands will perform very well, especially in that caliber. Certainly try the Remington Core-lokt. I use Federal Premium rounds due to the accuracy in my .308, but I've also used regular soft-point rounds with great results.
Old April 30, 2007, 05:54 PM   #17
jhgreasemonkey

I would pick 30-06. But there are so many good choices. You are familiar with the 7.62 nato so how about a .308 win. Same round. Good on deer and long range like the 06. Both have great ammo availability and are time tested and proven.
Old April 30, 2007, 07:49 PM   #18
FirstFreedom

in .30-06, any 150 grainer is a good choice, except for milsurp ball ammo. Might run with 165s for 300 lb canadian mulies & whitetails. Like the man said, you don't need premium ammo for whitetails - so I'd say whichever 150s shoot the most accurately in your gun.

OTOH, I'd run with premium 180s or softpoint standard 220s (Rem) for elk or moose.

Quote:
General consensus in all my research showed it was a great all around caliber
You got that straight!
Old April 30, 2007, 11:08 PM   #19
Sgt.Fathead

More Excellent Advice!

jhgreasemonkey, I've already purchased a Remington 700 in .30-06 so the other calibers will have to take a place at the back of the line. If I ever have need to buy another hunting rifle, I'd likely go for a 300 Win Mag. The .308 is an excellent choice as well...I'm gonna' have to master this rig first.

FirstFreedom and all others, my shopping list for test rounds is right in the 150 grain range. Just narrowing down what my rifle likes and what types of rounds I can use to good effect. Thanks again to all!
Old April 30, 2007, 11:16 PM   #20
Fremmer

Try a couple 165/168 grain loads, too -- just to see how they shoot. You might be surprised.

Edited to add: good choice on the model and caliber. That's a great hunting gun. I kind of like the stock, and I suppose that you can cover it with the ammo pouch. At least it is something different, and Dale was pretty good.
Old April 30, 2007, 11:22 PM   #21
rantingredneck

I've got a 700 ADL that I've had for about 10 years or so. Have taken a dozen or so whitetails with it over the years here in NC. I have tried some of the premium factory loads with ballistic tip type ammo. I've also shot quite a few rounds of Remington CoreLokt in 150 and 180 grain weights. The Corelokt 150's will kill any deer you encounter provided they give acceptable accuracy from your gun. I would expect they probably will. They are also some of the least expensive rounds on the market if not THE least expensive.

Nice rifle choice. Get out there and shoot it, then kill a deer and bring us pictures.

Happy hunting!
Old May 1, 2007, 01:04 AM   #22
williamd

I have shot deer in TX and in SoCal that field dress under 100#. Tie their feet together, hang them on your shoulder and walk out. I have shot deer in B.C. and Alberta that ware so heavy after field dressing it required two to drag out.

So different answers re rifler.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:39 AM   #23
Sgt.Fathead

Core Lokt, etc.

The Rem Core Lokt and Nosler Partitioned are onn the list already so that's good to know. Expenses aside, we'll certainly try heavier bullets! On the stock, yeah, it's neat in it's own way but the Little Marine that speaks from deep inside wants that big white "8" gone, gone, gone!

Thanks again all for the info.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:08 AM   #24
Jseime

When you are shooting just deer partitions are not necessary unless you're shooting a .243 or somthing a little on the small side.

.30-06 will knock down any deer on the planet with just plain old softpoints. If you want to try premium bullets try Hornady SSTs, and Accubonds. People will try to tell you that you need to drop 30 bucks on a box of ammo but a 15 dollar box will result in every single deer being just as dead. You should actually stay away from the heavily constructed bullets because they may not open up enough on a deer and leave you with some tracking to do.

I shoot soft point boat tailed bullets in my .270 and they work wonders on deer. Four deer fell to my rifle this fall with four shots (two me, two a cousin) and all i had in it were 130 grain SP rounds.
Old May 3, 2007, 01:48 AM   #25
Sgt.Fathead

A Penny Saved....

...is one step closer to more guns! Thanks for the tip. I am a firm believer in well placed shots replacing the need for heavier rounds (Hell, I was issued an M16A2 just like everybody else!) and thank you for the info.

Going Friday AM to test fire the Remington 700 for the first time.