The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2002, 12:13 AM   #1
Shmackey

Is this reloading setup possible?

Is there a way to put together a reloading setup that can be taken down and put back up quicky, and is no bigger than, say, a standard file-cabinet compartment? You know, something I can take out for a couple of hours and then stow away somewhere small. I would be loading only .45ACP.
"Kid, watch out for the 'conservative' who decries big government and then tells you what you can put in your body, when you should pray, and where you can put your johnson. And kid, follow the money."
Old December 9, 2002, 12:37 AM   #2
blades67

I've seen two examples of that kind of set-up. The first one I saw was a Dillon AT500 (a stripped RL550) bolted to a Dillon Strong Mount which was then bolted to a piece of 3/4 inch plywood that was about 12 X 14. It could be mounted to just about any flat surface, so long as there was at least a one inch overhang, with a couple of C-clamps.

The other was a SDB mounted to a piece of 1/4 inch steel with a six inch piece of two inch pipe welded to the bottom. It would then be set into a second piece of 2 1/8 inch pipe that was welded to the work bench support leg and secured with a pair of quick release pins placed perpendicular to preven movement.

Both set-ups were stored in an area about the size of a metal cabinet when not in use.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 9, 2002, 12:39 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

You betcha.

About 5 years, I loaded on top of a cast off wire spool. Bottleneck rifle calibers through anything pistol.

Used a 4X6" plank with the Rockchucker bolted to one end & a lead counterweight on the other.

Done reloading & I'd just lift off the counterweight & stash the whole thing in a closet or kick it under the slaves' shed.

You can get pretty creative if need be.

Any questions about stuff = do ask.
Old December 9, 2002, 11:19 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Had one that slipped into the hitch receiver on vehicle.

Sam
Old December 9, 2002, 11:30 AM   #5
TallPine

My Lee Challenger press is mounted on the end of a 1 x 8 that is about three inches longer than the table is wide. The extra length is so that the bolt heads won't mar the table surface.

Clamped onto the table crosswise with 3" C-clamps. The front one to the right of the press with handle down out of the way, the back one (opposite side of table) on the left side (handle up) to counter the stress.

Also have powder measure mounted on the board about a foot behind the press.

Works great for handgun ammo - haven't tried for rifle cartridges yet.
"The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government." --Daniel Webster
Old December 9, 2002, 11:40 AM   #6
vulcan

B&D Workmate

I use a workmate that folds up when not in use. The press & powder measure is on a board thats clamped to the workmate. I also installed a section of threaded rod to the far cross member to drop barbell weights on for counterweight. Everything else is stored in a 2 drawer file cabinet I got from the salvation army for five bucks. Setup time is about 5 mins.
Old December 9, 2002, 02:27 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Midway sells a pedestal type press mount.
I used to load on one like that made out of 2" pipe, pipe flanges, and a piece of plywood. Set it up next to a folding card table for supplies. You could buy or make a cloth cover for the press and just stand it in a corner when not in use.
Old December 9, 2002, 08:57 PM   #8
Phil in Seattle

My reloading setup is frequently taken down and stored away. all of my reloading tools fit into a plastic footlocker that I store in a closet.

I bolt my press to a board which is clamped to a TV table that I bought years ago at Target.

Not only is your idea doable but many people already do it, especially those like me who live in very small apartments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reloadingtable.jpg (82.5 KB, 161 views)
Old December 14, 2002, 06:24 AM   #9
ezo4

I have two presses that are mounted to a 16"x8" board that I can C clamp to almost anything. My kitchen counter, my bathroom counter or computer table. I also have holes drilled in for two friends work benches that they can bolt them down to when Im all loaded up.

I should have my bench refinished in a 1/2 year or so at this rate Im going. This for me is a convenient way for a small house and having them available for friends and family to use
Old December 14, 2002, 11:22 PM   #10
JerryM

Moving around in the Army, I used a portable set up for a lot of years.

I used two pieces of 2x12 lumber. One piece was about 18 inches and the other about 3 feet. I used a 2'' floor flange on each piece. Then I used a lejngth of 2inch pipe threaded on each end and just screwed the parts together. You could modify the lengths and make the height to suit. The 3 foot piece was long enough to stand on when I did sizing.

It wasn't as good as a bench, but it served me well off and on for about 15 years. I think I still have the stuff in my garage.

I have not seen anything as simple as that, and it could be taken anywhere needed.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.