The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2013, 10:23 PM   #51
OcelotZ3

This is the 4th recall of a gun I've experienced. I'd have to say that this one has involved the most participation on my part. For both the Ruger & Colt recalls, they sent me a box, the box was then picked up at my house, and then they delivered it back. Almost no involvement on my part, which is how it should be. And Ruger sent me a free hat.
Old September 9, 2013, 09:14 AM   #52
Vermonter

Just traded away my 9mm bitone

I just traded mine away. I liked the firearm the way it was to be sure and it didn't want anything changed. I could not get a clear answer from springfield as to what would be done to the gun and specifically what effect it would have if any with the trigger pull.

Regards, Vermonter
Old September 18, 2013, 12:48 AM   #53
balyon85

Re: XDs Recall

Anyone received their xds back yet?
Old September 18, 2013, 07:55 AM   #54
SIMP

I called yesterday about mine and was told that mine was one of the first ones in so it shouldn't be much longer but that they are estimating a 30-day turn-around. I wish they had a system that you could login into with your RMA# and get real-time updates! I hate not knowing anything about it.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:05 AM   #55
balyon85

Thirty days, that's ridiculous. They just got mine on Monday. I dragged my feet to get mine in, so guess it's my fault. Was hoping two weeks at the most.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:09 AM   #56
skoro

Mine arrived at SA two weeks ago yesterday. When I get it back, I'll be sure to post here. This is my first experience with a firearm recall. Don't know what to expect.

Quote:
For both the Ruger & Colt recalls, they sent me a box, the box was then picked up at my house, and then they delivered it back. Almost no involvement on my part, which is how it should be.
Very interesting...

For my 2 cents, packing this thing up, carting it to FedEx, etc was a PITA. Seems SA could spruce up their procedure a little bit.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:16 AM   #57
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Mine arrived at SA two weeks ago yesterday. When I get it back, I'll be sure to post here. This is my first experience with a firearm recall. Don't know what to expect.

Very interesting...

For my 2 cents, packing this thing up, carting it to FedEx, etc was a PITA. Seems SA could spruce up their procedure a little bit.
That's what tool me so long to get mine out, finding an appropriate box to ship this thing out in.
Old September 19, 2013, 12:17 PM   #58
SIMP

You can now see the progress of your pistol on Springfield's site. Just visit the page where you started your RMA and enter your serial. It will tell you where you gun is on the "system". It kind of seems generic but at least it's something.

I also found out from their rep that they will return your pistol in a "repair" case if you didn't send your pistol to them in your factory case. Apparently their repair case is a smaller version of the original hard black case your gun came in. Since I sent mine in to them via cardboard box, I'll get a snazzy "mini-case" from them.
Old September 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #59
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMP View Post
You can now see the progress of your pistol on Springfield's site. Just visit the page where you started your RMA and enter your serial. It will tell you where you gun is on the "system". It kind of seems generic but at least it's something.

I also found out from their rep that they will return your pistol in a "repair" case if you didn't send your pistol to them in your factory case. Apparently their repair case is a smaller version of the original hard black case your gun came in. Since I sent mine in to them via cardboard box, I'll get a snazzy "mini-case" from them.
Wish I'd have known that, getting a free case would have helped the inconvenience alittle.
Old September 19, 2013, 04:45 PM   #60
SVTCobra306

LOL looks like a lot of people will have the neat little case now.. I sent them my XDm slide to get the front sight removed (which they did for free, I just paid shipping there and back), and it came back in one, it's a generic but nice little case with the SA emblem on it.

Now that I think about it, has anyone asked if they can remove the sights while the pistol is at SA for the recall? I would assume the XD-S sights are hard to move like the other XD series pistols..
Old September 19, 2013, 08:10 PM   #61
SIMP

Thanks Cobra. Would you be of so kind as to post a pic of it? I'm just curious.
Old September 19, 2013, 10:46 PM   #62
IdahoG36

Quote:
I would assume the XD-S sights are hard to move like the other XD series pistols.
Actually they aren't as bad as other XD pistols I've done in the past. I used a sight pusher to install night sights on my XD-S, and they were easy to do.

Last edited by IdahoG36; September 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:46 AM   #63
skoro

Quote:
You can now see the progress of your pistol on Springfield's site.
Thanks for that info.

Mine arrived at SA 17 days ago, so I checked, expecting to see some progress. It shows the status as "received." Sounds to me like it's been on a shelf the past 2 -1/2 weeks. Ten days from now will mark a month since I shipped it off to them, with their estimate of one month turn-around. Let's see...
Old September 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #64
kcub

I got a case when they sent me back my unfixed xds. I guess they felt sorry for me.
Old September 20, 2013, 09:57 AM   #65
SIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro
Thanks for that info.
You're welcome....glad to help. Mine says the same thing and it's been there since 8/29. Oh well, I hope it's worth the wait. I've been involved in a recall before.

Here's the link if anyone needs it: http://www.springfieldrecall.com/ReCall.asp
Old September 22, 2013, 12:16 PM   #66
Forrest68

Everytime I enter my Serial number it just says mine isn't part of the recall, except I've already sent it in and has been there for weeks now.
Old September 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #67
thedudeabides

My wife waited 3 months to get her XDs 9mm...

Had it for literally one day when this notice came out. She's understandably upset because she sold her perfectly good PPS to get it.
Old September 22, 2013, 10:25 PM   #68
balyon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest68 View Post
Everytime I enter my Serial number it just says mine isn't part of the recall, except I've already sent it in and has been there for weeks now.
Last week mine said a shipping label was sent, days after the tracking from fedex showed it had been delivered, now it shoes the same as yours, that its not part of the recall.

Maybe its scanned in waiting to be repaired and they removed it from the list needing to be recalled.
Old September 24, 2013, 02:37 AM   #69
TahoeDust

I sold one last Thursday. Managed to get $520 for a 10 round old bi-tone .45. that was bought for $650 in the middle of the XDs craze. I made sure the buyer was fully informed about the recall. He text me saying he sent it off yesterday.
Old September 24, 2013, 12:03 PM   #70
CommandoX

The delays increase

I just now got off the phone with a customer service rep from SA.

I asked about the location of my XDS .45 and was told that it was "one of the first" to come in to them for the fix. She then informed me that they have set the return date back for MY gun by 8 to 10 weeks. That is as of "from now". People who are currently sending them in are an estimated 12 weeks from seeing their gun returned.

Now, I cannot lie, I feel bad for the lady on the other end of the phone. I can only imagine how many angry people she's had to deal with lately but I sent my gun in and it was in their facility on Monday September 2nd. I get to wait yet another 8 to 10 weeks?? That is really unacceptable any way you look at it.

She said that the company has been overwhelmed by returns for repair/fix on this issue and that they have 2 shifts working on JUST this. They must have 2 guys per shift or something at this speed.....

Really not going to buy another Springfield firearm in the future now.
Old September 24, 2013, 12:34 PM   #71
balyon85

That's crazy...twelve weeks?
Old September 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #72
IdahoG36

Great! So I should see mine sometime in November. I sent mine off August 29th.
Old September 24, 2013, 05:22 PM   #73
skoro

It's beginning to sound like Santa will be dropping a lot of these Xds down chimneys.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:08 PM   #74
Forrest68

I'm sorry, how are they "Over Whelmed" They knew from teh get how many were involved in the recall. Lets see we are goign to get at least X amout of pistols back on this recall. DOH, what they though people would mostly ignore a recall on a Pistol, really?!? They have had mine for 3 weeks already, and your saying now Im looking at another 8 - 10 WEEKS?!? You are so right that us unacceptable!
Old September 24, 2013, 06:14 PM   #75
whip1

How does any company prepare for a recall of this size? Do you expect them to have an area in the factory set aside "just in case"? Do they have people set up and trained for repairs that might never happen? There's a ton of work that goes into something like this. it sucks that a gun is gone that long, but there is no realistic solution.