The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 22, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
KingEdward

2 apartments below me ... Home Invasion

Well, This is true and happened in Nashville about two weeks ago. I was a witness (woke up to door being caved in two apartment units below mine). I retrieved cell phone and keeping my BR door locked, went to the window to see SUV parked sideways with doors open. Weird I thought, but then to my wondering eyes did appear two BGs running from the breezeway below and got in / drove away. Both were taking off ski masks as they got in. I retrieved my HD weapon and made sure (via window near door) that no one was outside my unit posing a threat or trying to get in. Once that was complete, I called the Police and remained in my unit. In about 2 min, they arrived and found a dazed and scared mid 30s couple in the LR of the apartment that was invaded. I was interviewed about what I saw, the vehicle, etc. I gave what info I could. I could not get the tag due to the angle. Turns out, after BGs caved in the door at 12:35 am, one guy went directly to the BR and held the couple in bed at Gunpoint while the other guy was searching for goods. Fortunately, the couple was not harmed. The guy who lives there is ex cop from west TN and he is now a firearms trainer and works security detail. He had two glocks and one shotgun in the sleeping area. Those were taken in the robbery. Also taken were car keys, her purse, and a back pack (his) with boxes of ammo and some various accessories. I just want to thank everyone on these forums because I feel about as prepared as one can be due to all the info that is shared. I knew not to go down the stairs or to try and detain/confront home invaders outside. I was prepared to deal with trouble if it came to me but not to look for it. The time estimate from the start of this (door breached) until they sped away was probably about 4 minutes. The investigation as to a "why" that apartment is still open. I'd like to know but mainly just trying to be ready and able to react properly if need be. I have maintained communication with a detective and he will let me know if they are found / caught. I hope so but time will tell. The couple moved away as she could not sleep there anymore.
Old April 22, 2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Goes to show you why "security" is more than a gun.

Of course, it can be tough in an apartment setting. The landlords tend to not like people replacing doors and reinforcing walls.
Old April 22, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
KingEdward

agree. I do one thing differently now once I'm "in" for the evening. I place a medium four drawer dresser back up against the entry door. It's dead bolted and chained and it is a metal door. But I figure I'll hear it slamming into the dresser if someone was kicking in the door. I live alone so while it's a little bit of a pain, I believe no precaution is a bad one.
Old April 22, 2009, 12:22 PM   #4
KLRANGL

Quote:
I place a medium four drawer dresser back up against the entry door.
Fire hazard?

I just keep a loaded gun on the bedside table, and a flashlight... Being a light sleeper helps too...
Old April 22, 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Housezealot

go's to show you can't be to prepared, I used to get home and lock my carry gun in the safe, I just figured my house isn't that big so how long could it take for me to get to my shotgun?, but after thinking about it, when I am at home my family is with me and I am much more concerned with protecting them than I am with protecting myself throughout the course of my work day,
now If I am awake I have a sidearm on my person at all times (except the rare occasion I have a beer or two) I can't bear to think that my lack of preperation could result in a situation such as you described.
Old April 22, 2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Hellbilly5000

Im a heavy sleep and my wife is a light sleeper but I am working days at the moment and she is working nights. I am glad I have a dog
Old April 22, 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
KingEdward

not really, I have a small two wheel dolly in my aparment that I kept after moving. I leave the dresser sitting on it against the door. each morning, or at night if I needed to, moving it back to the wall near the dining table takes just a few seconds. I tried to think about this before putting anything of decent size/weight to hold the door for a bit and make some noise. I may look this weekend and get one of those door jam / club devices. Some say those work pretty well.
Old April 22, 2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Ike1371

I get pretty bent when I hear about crap like that. I also hope that it will never happen to me as I too live in an apartment. I run through different scenarios in my head and actually do a walk through my apartment with my shotgun. Kinda a rehearsal. I hope that it will never happen to me and if it does i want to be better prepared than the average bear.
Old April 22, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
KingEdward

thanks to all for the replies. It is a shame we find ourselves having to live indoors with firearms either on our person or arms length away. But we all agree that there are no "safe neighborhoods" and if you fail to plan, then by default you plan to fail. Since the home invasion, I have the "must go check out the car door closing or any other interesting noise syndrome. Also, I have learned who are my neighbors, what they drive, and even to some degree what vehicle types visit them.
Old April 22, 2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Atticum

i live in Nashville. what neighborhood is your apartment?
Old April 22, 2009, 02:50 PM   #11
ZeSpectre

A layered defense is the best defense. A gun on the nightstand is no good if you are sound asleep.

Apartments can be especially troubling since there isn't much distance (most of the time) from the door to the bedroom so you have very little reaction time available (unless you armor the bedroom somehow).
Old April 22, 2009, 02:52 PM   #12
KingEdward

it's Brentwood Station across from the players club off Edmonson pike and McMurray drive. About 1 mile north of OHB which runs from I-65 over to I-24
Old April 22, 2009, 04:06 PM   #13
Hellbilly5000

In my apt as you come in if you don't know where stuff is you will trip over my recliner and if you break it then there will be a lot more hell to pay
Old April 22, 2009, 04:15 PM   #14
KingEdward

I was allowed by one of the officers on the scene to go in to the unit after the crime team left. Just to stand in the door way and take a look around. Their apartment was "hard to navigate" with chairs, fish tank, two entertainment centers and a huge futon basically in the middle of the den. Never the less, the invader had the couple in bed at gunpoint almost instantly after the breach. I believe this is because any criminal whether smart or not is already alert, excited, has some kind of plan, and I believe in this case, this home invasion was not their first rodeo.
Old April 22, 2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Hellbilly5000

Some of that could be on the renter as they may have left there sliding glass door blinds open and the bg saw inside the apt
Old April 22, 2009, 04:52 PM   #16
05kas05

i bet when they catch them it will be somebody the victims know.i could be wrong but it seems like they knew right where everything was.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:02 PM   #17
KingEdward

good thought. I am wondering if somehow it was related to the boyfriend who was spending the night there. She moved in about two months prior to the robbery. I had never seen him and my understanding is, that same night was coincidentally the first night he stayed over. But again, could just all be
happen stance.
Old April 22, 2009, 05:27 PM   #18
rantingredneck

Quote:
I place a medium four drawer dresser back up against the entry door.
May I suggest instead........

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...num=1&ct=title

I bought two of these ^ for our doors after a friend of a friend experienced back to back home invasions twice in a week. They will reportedly withstand up to 1000lbs of force against the door. They are quick to put in place and quick to remove (just kick the lower end of it away from the door) in case of fire, etc.

I found mine at Lowe's hardware for 16.95+tax.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 22, 2009, 05:42 PM   #19
Hellbilly5000

King thats all to much to be a coincidence
Old April 22, 2009, 06:04 PM   #20
bigghoss

Quote:

after I got about half way through this thread I though about making something like this from a 2x4 to go against the door and brace on the opposite wall. but for 20 bucks might as well get one of those. the thought occurred to me to maybe put one across the hall about ankle high as a trip hazard for any would be intruder, but since I work graveyard shift and get up in the dark I'll probably just trip on it myself constantly.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:23 PM   #21
ISC

I would bet money that the attackers knew the couple.
Old April 22, 2009, 06:54 PM   #22
Housezealot

Quote:
if you fail to plan, then by default you plan to fail
well spoke kingedward!
Old April 22, 2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Greg_TX

A couple of things that are good to get are larger strike plates and reinforced lock plates. The longer strike plates allow you to secure the plate with several long screws all the way to the studs, and the U-plate keeps the door together at the lock bore. By the time the BG(s) get through that, you should be awake and ready ...
Old April 22, 2009, 10:09 PM   #24
KLRANGL

Quote:
he thought occurred to me to maybe put one across the hall about ankle high as a trip hazard for any would be intruder
As cool as it would be, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Booby trapping your home in most places im aware of...
Old April 22, 2009, 10:21 PM   #25
Catfishman

Quote:

I have these on my doors. At the very least they will slow someone down and force them to make a lot of noise. That would give me the warning and time I need to get ready.