The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 13, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
hillbillyshooter

Trasferring M1 Carbine from California to West Virginia

With the possibility of an permanent assault weapons ban, I am trying to plan ahead.
I live in West Virginia and my paternal grandfather lives outside San Deigo. He was a career Marine and saw combat in Japan and Korea earning two Purple Hearts. While in Korea he took an Inland M1 Carbine and shipped it home. The gun was a plinker for my dad and uncle growing up. This gun is still in good shape, but more importantly it is a piece of family history. As far as I understand, if the assault weapons ban goes through and my grandfather dies, there won't be a way to transfer this weapon to anyone else in the family. It would upset me very much if my grandfathers M1 was destroyed and wouldn't be able to stay in my family.
Could this weapon be saved because it is an antique (1943 Inland)? If not how would I go about getting it transferred from CA? Keep in mind my grandfather can't drive anymore so I would be utilizing my aunt for this and I would need to be very specific. Would it be worth getting my C&R to avoid any problems from CA? If I go out there to visit, would it be better to drive it into Nevada to ship it (more gun friendly)? I'm not up to code very well on the oppressive CA laws, but when I was out there last it seemed as if any weapon made before 1958 was an antique, therefore the state assault weapons ban didn't apply.
Please help me save this weapon. I know it may only be an M1C, but it is very important to me.

Last edited by hillbillyshooter; January 13, 2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 13, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
blume357

I can only help you on the east coast end of the game...

Your grandfather can give or gift you the rifle and at the worse he or his wife would have to ship it to a local WV FFL for you to pick up... the FFL will charge you a transfer fee... if the WV FFLs are anything like mine here in S.C. what they will require with the rifle is a copy of your grandfather or mothers CA Drivers license and their signature under it in blue or red ink. Of course besides having to pay the FFL a token fee you will have to fill out the government form.

Getting it out of Ca, who knows... it really can't be that hard... I suspect at the worse they will have to pay a CA FFL to ship it to yours.... but someone from CA. can answer that better. Oh, and if they have to use an FFL in CA then they really don't have to do the copy of the DL thing.... maybe...
Old January 13, 2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Don H

The rifle is not an antique. BATF defines Antiques as being manufactured in or before 1898. The rifle is, however, a C&R firearm and could be shipped or mailed directly to your door (state laws permitting) if you got your 03FFL.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:44 AM   #4
hillbillyshooter

Do you think getting my C&R would be easier then the transfers from FFL to FFL? And as far as the antique status, I was referring to the CA state assault weapons ban.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyshooter
Do you think getting my C&R would be easier then the transfers from FFL to FFL? And as far as the antique status, I was referring to the CA state assault weapons ban.
An M1 carbine does not fall under the California "assault weapons" ban. Also, there is no California requirement for an FFL to ship firearms other than so called "assault weapons".

As far as getting an 03 FFL, go for it!