The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 30, 2013, 05:48 AM   #1
oldguysrule

Airport parking and weapons in vehicle

I had heard that now it is allowed to keep a firearm in a locked vehicle on airport property in certain states. I work for an international company that expressly forbids any type of firearm on property but all company parking lots are actually on airport property and not owned by the company. I've heard the company is in the process of ammending this due to new legislation but can't find any information on this subject.
Old April 30, 2013, 06:27 AM   #2
WC145

I wasn't aware there was ever any restriction on keeping a gun in a vehicle in an airport parking lot, there may be something local to where you are, but nothing federal. In fact, IIRC, there is no federal restriction on carrying guns in airports except in the restricted/secure areas.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 30, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

In some cities the biggest concern is the car being ransacked and the gun stolen. In Memphis an FBI vehicle filled with guns was once stolen by some punks. In fact, in Memphis you are lucky if your car is anything more than a shell when you return from a trip. A city near me has private, secured, parking that is cheaper than the airport lot and they shuttle you back and forth. No brainer for me.
Old April 30, 2013, 07:58 AM   #4
kayakersteve

It's OK as long as its legal in your state and you are legally allowed to own a gun. The restrictions apply to entering the boarding area only as I understand it.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, oldguysrule!

This seems like more of a legal question than a general handgun question, so I'm going to ship it down to Law & Civil Rights.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

As others have mentioned, there haven't been any laws passed on the federal level on this. There may be local or state restrictions where you live.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:39 AM   #7
62coltnavy

Simply because the airport technically owns the parking lot does not mean that the employer does not lease the lot exclusively for its business--in which case it could impose a private restriction on the presence of a firearm in a vehicle. The only exception would be those states that have passed laws expressly forbidding employers from banning guns in company parking lots. It is very unlikely that the airport has any private restriction--which would be ineffective in any event unless posted, and if the parking facility is generally open to the public (meaning open to persons not there on the employer's business), the employer would have a difficult time imposing any restrictions. The only other circumstance that should be considered is if you are driving an employer owned vehicle or operating your own private vehicle on the employer's business. Violating such a rule is often grounds for termination.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Gaerek

The company you work for can certainly prohibit you from keeping a firearm in a car you own in a parking lot they own/lease. However, the Feds have no law pertaining this, and actually, the only place a firearm is expressly prohibited by Federal law being carried is in the "Sterile" area beyond a checkpoint.

I've carried my gun concealed at Tuscon International many times, of course, not when travelling.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:52 PM   #9
KyJim

Quote:
The company you work for can certainly prohibit you from keeping a firearm in a car you own in a parking lot they own/lease. . . .
To clarify, this is the rule in probably a majority of states. A few states have laws that expressly forbid an employer from banning an employee from storing a firearm in their vehicle, even while parked on company property. I would be surprised if the state of Washington has such a law.
Old May 1, 2013, 04:03 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaerek
However, the Feds have no law pertaining this, and actually, the only place a firearm is expressly prohibited by Federal law being carried is in the "Sterile" area beyond a checkpoint.
+1. I feel it's also helpful to point out that most airports without scheduled airline service do not have any sterile areas. In these cases, certain commercial aircraft operators may be required to screen passengers for weapons before they enter an aircraft, but there is no generalized federal prohibition on the carriage of firearms or other weapons elsewhere on airport property; it's solely a matter of state and local law.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:56 PM   #11
taltyman

I live in Texas and where I work we have to park in our employers parking lot. They have a no tolerance policy for firearms and or ammo in the building or parking lot. However Texas law prohibits them from banning those items in a personal vehicle in the parking lot. I keep my mouth shut and my gun locked in the truck in my gun vault. They also have it in their policy to search at any time and if we refuse we are terminated. I suppose if push comes to shove I can win legally but still be fired as they will find some other reason.