The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 24, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1
ChaseReynolds

.45 LC

I want to shoot my .45LC more and get my wife familiarized with it, but ammo at Walmart is expensive and it is hard to find at other local places. I would by off internet but not sure what that involves and I don't want to get a cruddy product. Where do y'all buy yours and how hard is it to get? I am just looking for easy range rounds. Have plenty of personal defense rounds.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
smokin54

I started reloading 30+ years ago due to the cost of 45 colt ammo , crummy lead loads cost as much a jacketed 44 mag . I started loading 45 colt back then for 2.50 a box as i recall , I can't imagine what it must cost over the counter these days.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:58 AM   #3
k511

what i dont reload i get from www.cheaperthandirt.com in large amounts... its the best bang for the buck ive found...other than reloading
Old November 25, 2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Sheikyourbootie

Save your brass, and reload
Old November 25, 2012, 02:45 AM   #5
FloridaVeteran

90%+ of what I shoot is .45 Colt. After 2008 I realized that I would have to reload or not shoot, especially in competition that requires 100-120 rounds without any practice. Reloading was worth it to me and do-able because I am old.

Chase - As I understand it, your first priority is to get your wife familiarized with firing your .45, and second to get out and practice. For that, IMO, you don't need to get into reloading.

1. Find a place, hopefully near you (easy if you are in a confederate state) that sells reloaded ammo. These cartridges will have lead bullets, instead of copper/jacketed ones, and will cost much less than factory ammo - generally about half. This is a good idea, on its own, for getting your wife familiar with the gun because the recoil will be pretty light light. If you see bags of reloaded cartridges labeled "Cowboy," I recommend you buy those, at least for the familiarization sessions. Blaze away, to the extent you can afford to. Save your empty cartridges, even if you do not plan to reload. Put them in zip-lok bags, for the day you will be glad that you did.

2. For reasons related to events of early November, you likely will not find much or any .45LC ammo at Wal-Mart. But you can buy ammo on-line and .45LC is not the most sought-after (though it is my personal favorite). Unless you are in California, in which case you have my sympathy, you should be able to find .45LC ammo online in many places. Take your time. Prices can vary widely. If you are buying brand-new ammo, I recommend you not buy Cowboy loads (which are what I shoot) because they are meant for competition and are wimpy loads re self-defense, but bought new online cost almost the same as stronger/self-defense loads. If you want self-defense loads, I recommend you search for Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dot or some of the other (more exotic, more expensive) loads out there.

Try Midway, Lucky Gunner, Graf, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap and others. Even Bass Pro Shops carries some of this stuff, IIRC. My personal preferences in .45Colt are Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot. Expect to pay approx. $1 per round for these. For the purpose, that is a plenty OK price these days.

Before ever shooting "the good stuff," break the gun in with lots of cheap reloaded ammo, if possible. Try to shoot for groups, not bullseyes, at this stage. What you want is consistency, relative to the gun, the sight alignment and how you pull the trigger, and that is measured by how many inches apart your shots hit. Pls. forgive me if you already know this part.

Clean the gun well, particularly if you used reloads, because the bullets almost always are lead and there may be some lead fouling in the barrel. Then practice with better ammo (cheap copper or copper-clad bullets). Clean the gun well. Then practice (and adjust sights) with high-quality ammo, or in your case top-drawer self-defense ammo.

Last tip - unless you are a well-experienced shooter and already do so, have some oil with you at the range, such as a small squeeze bottle of Rem Oil. Revolvers tend to have far fewer friction problems than semi-autos, but being able to drop a bit of oil on the right place often can save a fair bit of range time.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:00 AM   #6
stevelyn

When you exclude the newer super revolver cartridges such as fodder for the big S&W hand-howitzers and Linebaugh calibers, you'll find that .45 Colt is probably the most expensive production revolver ammo from the major makers there is. Even the dirty junk Remington coughs out runs in the upper $40s along the road system.

If you have a .45 Colt, reloading is your best option.

I have the components for and can load anything from low-velocity, cowboy wiffleball loads, up to heavy hitters that nip on the heels of a Casull load.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:32 AM   #7
ChaseReynolds

Currently reloading is not an option, I am saving my brass for when I can but right now I must buy ammo.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Hal

Quote:
Currently reloading is not an option,
That's a shame. It really puts a damper on shooting something like the .45 LC.
For the benefit of others that may view this thread though, that are sitting on a fence about reloading.

This Lee kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647...colt-long-colt
@ 26.49
has a very short ROI period.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Amsdorf

I buy all my ammo online and have never had a single problem. Check out "Freedom Munitions" reloaded .45LC. Good stuff.

You can sell the brass and get your price per round down to a more manageable figure.

Obligatory comment: Yes, you should reload. Everyone should reload. Reloading saves you tons of money. If you don't reload you are a nit-wit!!
Old November 25, 2012, 10:49 AM   #10
rclark

Quote:
That's a shame. It really puts a damper on shooting something like the .45 C.
Yep. I would be back just shooting .22 if I hadn't started reloading back when I was a late teen around 1980... Sorry I can't help with the 'where to buy' .45 Colt loads as I've never bought a single commercial round. I think I've seen them in white boxes at guns shows though.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:07 AM   #11
PeterGreg

I'm new to the .45C but I've found the Herter's select from Cabela's good for plinking and I just bought American eagle for $39.00 a box at the LGS for hunting.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104372280
Old November 25, 2012, 12:57 PM   #12
ChaseReynolds

Thanks everyone, I will look into these recommended places for ammo. I will also begin looking for reloading supplies.
Old November 25, 2012, 02:01 PM   #13
ohiomossyoak

I know a few guys have had luck with freedom munitions ammo in Semi-auto pistols,bolt rifles an semi-auto rifles.. http://www.freedommunitions.com/default.asp..You might check the prices an buy a small quantity to try out...Just throwing it out there
Old November 25, 2012, 06:11 PM   #14
orionengnr

I note that you are collecting your brass--good idea.

One of the second-tier commercial ammo manufacturers will sell both newly manufactured ammo and remanufactured ammo. They also have a program where you send them your fired brass and they credit a certain amount towards your order.

Note: When I say "second-tier" I am not implying second-rate. Just saying that it is not Winchester, Speer, Remington, etc. It is one of the ones that will sell you bullets, brass or loaded ammo, and will accept your fired brass as described above.

If I can remember which one it was I will update my post...or maybe someone else will read and update it for you.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:38 PM   #15
Super Sneaky Steve

I wouldn't buy a Lee reloading press but their production pot works really well for casting. I've also got 12 of their two hole molds. For $20 a pop you can't beat that.

For a good press check out MidwayUSA. Monday only they have a Hornady single stage kit on sale for like $250! You get 500 free bullets too.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:18 PM   #16
KMAX

I bought a 45 Colt a few months ago so I would have a reason to reload more. Not exactly, but sort of. I enjoy reloading and I wanted a big bore single action revolver.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 26, 2012, 07:42 PM   #17
BigJimP

Buy in case lots...( 10 boxes to a flat / 20 boxes to a case usually ) from your local supplier whenever you can.

Paying shipping, etc on the internet ...is usually not the best option / I'd suggest you talk to a local gunshop - see if they will special order you a case....or visit your local gunshows ( lots of ammo deals at my local gunshows) for both reloads(which I'd never trust, because you have no idea who loaded them or how careful they were - and do they have insurance, no probably not...) or new factory ammo.

I do reload all of my own ammo ...and for .45 Colt its going get your cost down to about $9 for a box of 50 ...even using a premium bullet / and if you can cast bullets, it'll be even cheaper. ( But I buy components in case lots too - especially bullets / and powder in 8 lb kegs / and primers by the case (5,000 to a case ).
Old November 27, 2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Magnum Wheel Man

I reload 99.9% of all my ammo, so I'm not much for buying loaded rounds...

... that said, the local gun shows around here, always have guys selling cheaper bulk ammo... ( may be hand loads ) ... I think they usually have 45 Colt...

places like Cabellas, usually sell several ( grades ) of 45 Colt... everything from cowboy loads, to hunting or personal defense rounds
Old November 27, 2012, 09:46 AM   #19
L_Killkenny

I know you said reloading isn't an option but in your case it is truly the ONLY option if you want to shoot. Look, there are just certain cartridges that just scream to be reloaded. Maybe it's a cost thing, maybe an availability thing, maybe available factory loads are crap, maybe a combination of all 3. But sometimes you just have to reload or not shoot much. Those may be you're only 2 options.

A Lee handpress, RCBS dies, Lee primer tool, a scale, maybe a Lee dipper set, some Unique powder and other components will get you started. It will fit in a box and you can load at the range, kitchen table, coffee table etc. Not many can honestly say that reloading is not an option. A guy with all of his digits and living in a box can reload.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Xfire68

Quote:
I know you said reloading isn't an option but in your case it is truly the ONLY option if you want to shoot.
I agree with the above. Your not going to find a really "Cheap" source of .45 LC anywhere partly do to it popularity in Cowboy action and the recent addition of the Judge and other guns that shoot .45 LC.

Reloading is not difficult and is always rewarding.

A basic reloading kit will last you years and years and cost about as much as 100 rounds of .45 LC!
Old November 27, 2012, 10:36 AM   #21
twobit

I recommend you get into reloading. It is not that hard and it is fun.
All equipment can be stored in a large plastic storage container or the flat ones that fit under a bed.

Lee reloading equipment with a set of four Lee carbide dies. Inexpensive yet still good stuff.

Trailboss powder (excellent for beginners because it is fluffy and almost impossible to double charge a round with powder without overflowing the case). Great for "cowboy" loads. I also use Unique powder for 45 colt in some of my hunting loads.

200 to 250 grain lead round nose flat point bullets can be bought at on-line auctions or internet companies. Inexpensive, pre-sized and pre-lubed. I just bought 500 for $50. Once you get reloading under your belt, you can pour your own bullets later on and save more money, but keep it simple and just buy them for a year or so.

Starline brass (again internet, on the auctions, or direct from Starline in bulk for savings). You will get about 10 reloads or more from each piece of brass.

CCI or Federal large pistol primers.

45 colt is an excellent round to learn how to reload with. A straight walled case big enough to handle with your fingers even if they are old and stiff.

A good reloading manual. Lee publishes a good one. So do others. Whatever you get, read it!

Your gonna love those 45 colt (or clone) single action pistols. Of all the different types of firearms I have, they are my favorite as are the 45 lever guns.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:28 AM   #22
Water-Man

Georgia-Arms.com
Old November 27, 2012, 01:10 PM   #23
Mello2u

Georgia Arms lists 45 Long Colt 200gr Round Nose Flat Point 100pk $50.50.
http://georgia-arms.com/45longcolt.aspx
" Frederic Bastiat
Old November 28, 2012, 08:04 AM   #24
stevelyn

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I will look into these recommended places for ammo. I will also begin looking for reloading supplies.
Stash away your spare pennies and wait for a sale to come up on a Lyman Expert kit. They can be had for around $360 and less than that on sale. The kits have everything you need to get started less dies and a set of calipers.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:38 AM   #25
rodfac

Reloading is the way to go, Chase...and it's a reward all in itself...adding much to your enjoyment of our hobby. I just checked one of the online ammo suppliers and found that they're offering .45 LC for $28 per box of 50. While it's been many years since I bought a complete setup, I'd say that you could get the basics for loading for $350 or so. At $30 per box (adding in estimated shipping costs), that's 12 boxes of ammo and you'll be up and running. Reloading costs in that caliber are pretty close to $.15 per shot x 50 = $7.50 per box of 50. My numbers may be off somewhat, but you get the idea...Hope it works for you. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.