The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1
bmitch300wby

Primer pop outs

I have worked up some loads for my AR=10 using Hornady match brass and Hornady 165gr SST, 46.5 grns of BL-C2, right out of the Nosler book. I continue to have the primers fall out upon ignition. The brass shows no signs of overpressure and the rifle cycles just fine. Sometimes, however, I have a primer that impedes the bolt from closing all the way. What could the primer blowout be causing? Could the primer pockets be worn? I bought the brass of Ebay and was told they were once fired. I am also using fairly old, but functional, CCI 200 primers. Could the age of the primers be the cause due to different dimetions of the primer? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old September 8, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Sevens

In my opinion, you can eliminate your primers and their age as one of the causes. I'm currently using 15 year old primers and they work beautifully. I know there's a number of folks in this gig that are using older stuff than I am.

If all the brass came from the same seller on Ebay, I'd try some different brass for comparison sake. No telling what the brass had been subjected to since you bought it second hand. Seems unlikely that it's been compromised, but not impossible. My first thought was that it was milsurp brass that had the primer pockets swaged to remove a crimp (over zealously?) but you say it's Hornady brass.

You also mentioned that the bolt is sometimes not going in to full battery due to a primer sticking out. Hope I'm not asking a dumb question-- but are they leaving your reloading bench with flush primers? Or are the primers backing out while sitting in the magazine under recoil?

When you resize-- how to the flash holes look? What about the bolt face on your AR-10, look normal?
Old September 8, 2007, 01:22 PM   #3
bmitch300wby

All the flash holes are looking good and the primers are set flush. The primer is falling out of the brass upon ignition and that is what is keeping the bolt from moving forward all the way. I have already started loading the same formula with other brass and I will try different primers, and lightening up the load 1.5 grns or so with the original brass. I do really think it is the brass as well. Thanks for the input and I always appreciate the advice.