The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 14, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1
okiefarmer

It fits.....it fits!!!!!!!!!

Finally found my 5-1/2" Sherif model to fit the holster I bought in error one time. he he.

Pics below, but do have one question about it. Fit and finish are all very good on it. It is the Flli Pietta repro. Does not appear to have been shot yet, but it's gonna get shot soon. I buy them as shooters, not gonna sit on it and try to make $5 on it in 4 or 5 years from now. Wanna have fun with 'em. I did notice this does not have the matched pair of Ser #s underneath the frame/cylinder. Only number is on the frame, no number on the barrel. Also, I just looked at a thread started in the WTS/WTB section and my "Sheriff Model" looks a heck of a lot like what this guy calls the " 1862Pocket Police Model". Mine is an 1860 Sheriff.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=393188

Go ahead, someone tell me I got took. - - - -But I don't care. I got the short barrel model, just under $150, and came with an even shorter holster and a tube of bore butter.

Now I have to find one with a 3" barrel I guess. The humanity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860Sheriff 002.jpg (245.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 1860Sheriff 001.jpg (246.6 KB, 85 views)
Old January 14, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

OkieFarmer,

You got a pretty good deal on that 1860 Sheriff's model (short Barreled 1860 Army).

The 1862 Pocket Police Model in the other thread is a .36 cal 5 shot model built on a pocket model (1849) frame.

Now....................... take it out and make some smoke with it.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 14, 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
okiefarmer

Thanks Fingers,

It appears that none of my Piettas have the dual Ser# on bottom. My 1860 Uberti 8" .44 has the dual numbers on the bottom. Looks like Pietta just uses one. I thought perhaps it was a replacement barrel, but I find Pietta's name inscribed elsewhere.

The owner stated it used .454 balls and about a half a box came with it. .454 balls sure sit high in the cylinder opening. I may try .451, like all my other 44s take. Could this possible take a bigger ball? I'll mic it later to be sure.

Okie out
Old January 15, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

.451 usually work just fine in Piettas. The .454s are a tighter fit; but work fine also. It's the Ubertis and 2nd Gen Colts that work best with .454s. instead of .451s
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce