The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 1, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1
dosjoel

How to clean an old Winchester 32.20 barrle

Hi
I have an old win lever action 32.20 that has been in my family for over 75 years. The rifle is in good condition and clean. I have shot it. But a look in the barrel reveals a lot of crude. Not exactly clean and bright. i want to clean the barrel but not damage it. It may be the lead bullets it fires that have fouled the groves. A smith looked and said it is not that bad for as old as it is. But I wonder if any one has any ideas about how to do the best by this old barrel.

Your ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." - Anonymous Soldier.
Old April 2, 2009, 01:52 AM   #2
jgabriel

Hi dosjoel,
Shooter's Choice bore cleaner says it's for lead and copper fouling, but they also make products that are specific to lead (or copper).

A tight-fitting (new) bronze bore brush of the correct caliber is a must. I'd get at least a 3-pac of those from Brownell's, but they are easy to find at your local gun show. Following Shooter's Choice instructions, I think you will be pleased at the improvement. I don't doubt that there are other makers of excellent de-leading cleaners.
Best,
John
Old April 2, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
schutzen

Clean 32-20

Get an empty 32-20 cartridge, coat it with heavy grease. Insert the cartridge in the chamber and close the action. This will form a good seal. Set the rifle upright in a 2 gallon pail and fill the barrel with Kroil. Let it sit 24 hours and then clean as normal. You will be surprised how much crud will come out
Old April 2, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I strongly recommend you remove the bolt and clean that barrel from the rear, else you will be pushing crud and dirt into the action, not a good idea.

Jim
Old April 3, 2009, 02:42 PM   #5
jgabriel

I agree with Jim

While I thing schutzen's chamber sealing method is interesting and might have some application, I tend to be wary that the Kroil would dissolve some greases, even heavy greases (like dissolves like). If there was any mishap with this method, you would have a mess in your action for sure - not to mention the risk to your wood.

The de-leading bore cleaner products, when instructions are followed, do really nice things.

I clean from the muzzle, with a soft, absorbing material over the end of my finger to stop up the chamber end while running bore brushes, etc. Also, many folks will tell you to prop the gun with barrel pointed slightly downward when using your cleaning rods and solvents. This is a sure-fire way to reduce risk of getting solvents into the action. Hope this helps.
John
Old April 3, 2009, 03:21 PM   #6
schutzen

Dissolving Grease

Yes, Kroil will dissolve grease. And, yes some amount will seep into the action. But fired casing and heavy grease will hold the majority in the barrel and soften the crud. If you point the barrel into your bucket and slowly eject the case the Kroil drains in to the bucket. Normally I do not remove the bolt from a lever gun when cleaning it. However, I do keep the muzzle tilted down hill and try to pull the majority of the fouling out the front. After I have finished with the barrel, I use action cleaner to flush the action without disassembly. Not a perfect system, but it works fairly well.

I have seen others turn a wooden plug and drive it into the front of the barrel, but I am afraid it would damage the rifling. That is a risk I am not willing to take.
Old April 3, 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't remove the bolt from a lever gun for routine cleaning, but the situation here doesn't sound like just cleaning after a few hours at the range. I think cleaning from the rear in this case justifies the extra time and bother.

Jim
Old April 6, 2009, 07:26 PM   #8
dosjoel

Guys....

Guys,

Thanks. I appreciate your time, thoughtfullness, and concern. You help renew this rednecks faith in America. I believe I will try the bucket method next and let you know what comes of it.

BTW. I spent about two hours cleaning from the muzzle with solvent, bore foam and blue something or other. When I put a light to it, while improved, it is still defenitly not "bright and shiney."

There are still a lot of good folks here. (Next time, lets VOTE!)

Dosjoel
God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." - Anonymous Soldier.
Old April 6, 2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Hawg

I leave a fired cartridge in my 44-40 and clean bp fouling from the muzzle. Doesn't get but just a tiny bit in the action that flushes out easily. Those thin bottleneck cases seal pretty good. Don't think I'd want to try it with a straight walled case tho.