The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 1, 1999, 03:31 PM   #1
Nestor Rivera

Picked up one of those .22 trainers Mod 1969 I think.

Description

.22 LR 5 Shot Magazine Bolt Action rifle.
includes cleaning Rod/Kit and Sling

Mine was built in 1980 and the fit and finsh are ok for surplus, the bluing is quite dark but you can still see machine marks in places. The wood is a nice yello pine looking stuff but fits to the rifle nicely.

Operation
The gun comes with both 1/4 dovetail and iron sights, "express rifles" marked at 25/50/100 meters and a protected front post quite usable. From Bags I put a .7in group at 25 yards using cheap .22"wildcat", later I put a small scope ($12.00 varity) on it and put in a .5in group at 25y and maybe .8 at 50. I think with better ammo and scope it may well be a .5 - .65in shooter at 50y not bad for $60.00

+'s Low cost Bolt action, good sights, fairly accurate, comes with sling and cleaning kit
probably a great first gun for a yougster or that extra .22 just for fun.

-'s missfeeds the first round some time (this might be due to a very tight mag spring), has a bad tendency to not eject the round unless the bolt is worked quiclky

Old October 2, 1999, 06:22 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

My Remington 514 doesnt eject either... but it's older that I am.
Sounds like you got a great deal, and a great little rifle. .22 bolt actions are probably the last guns to ever be grabbed from the antis... Hang on to it...

Since it is a pretty accurate piece - Maybe you could do some testing. Accuracy of 5 shot groups using some of the most common .22 loads available. Not too in depth just maybe 4 different types - basic group sizes.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac