The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
1911Alaska

Anyone hunt in Alaska?

I have lived here in Alaska my hole life and not once have I gone hunting. Nobody in my family does it, I can't stand it. I want to go incredibly bad and now that I am an adult and on my own I want to go but I have no idea what, where, how, or anything lol.

Anyone from Alaska on here? I live in the Kenai area.
Old July 30, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
aaalaska

Check out the Alaska outdoor forum, you should be able to meet people from your area.
Old July 30, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Creeper

Do you know your area very well 1911A? If you do, and it's a popular hunting area, you could offer yourself up as a guide... go hunting, meet hunters and make a few bucks all at the same time.

Look into it, if you have the outdoor background... I sure as hell would if I were 25 years younger and in your boots.

Cheers,
C
Old July 30, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Deja vu

I have hunted in Alaska a few times and it always costs a pretty penny.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 30, 2012, 11:12 PM   #5
kraigwy

I spent 22 years in Alaska, retiring and moving back to Wyoming in 94.

When I first got there hunting was great. I lived just north of Healy and the season was the month of Sept for bull moose, the first week in Oct for cows and the whole month of Nov for either.

Relatively easy to hunt, but I did mine in November because I didn't have electricity and had to wait for it to get cold so the meat wouldn't spoil.

Of late hunting in Alaska is a rich man's sport, To really be successful you have to fly out. Also you have to be pretty good judging horns. There was a limit on size (depending on area). My eyes have never been good enough to say if a critter had 50 or 52 inch horns at 300 yards.

Caribou was a fly out venture unless you were lucky and some just passed by.

Black bear are easy, they're all over the place.

Ducks/geese around Anchorage is Great. Lots of small Sitka deer on the coast.

I was in the guard and spent lots of time with the Eskimos on the West Coast, Seward Penn. I went out with them a lot hunting marine animals, but you have to be a native to actually hunt them.

Since you live in Keani, your best bet would be to take a boat and slowly travel around the lakes, Keani, Skilak (sp). I use to fish at night on Hidden Lake and always saw moose on the shore line. Brownies too. Paddling a canoe would be best but watch the wind, those lakes will get nasty quick when the wind comes off those Harding Ice Fields. Be prepared to get to shore and spend a night or two. I've done that more then once. My employer (the Anchorage Police Dept) was pretty forgiving if you held up for the weather after loosing a couple cops in the 70s because they decided to try and make it.

If you get wet, forget about anything else. Stop, build a fire and dry out (found that out the hard way too).

Fire is your friend, when things state to go bad, stop, build a fire, and think it out. Didn't have GPS's back then, but we had some good maps. Keep referring to the map, its easier to keep track then to have to stop and figure out where you're at.

I always, regardless of what else I had, carried instant oatmeal and tea. Even if your not hungry, its comforting while your relaxing by your fire. Tea more so then coffee, and I'm a big coffee drinker.

Contrary to what people tell you, moose aren't that tough. Don't go the magnum route, a 270, 308, '06 would be perfect.

I killed about 8-9 of them with a 357 as a cop in Anchorage.

As for bears, magnums, such as 338s 375 'n such aren't worth a hoot if you can't shoot them 99% of the hunters I've seen would be much better off with an '06.

Don't go the high powered scope route. It's thick on the Keani Penn. a 1.5 to 4 power are about the best Power wise. Weaver K series are clear and have great light gathering abilities when hunting early or late.

If you fly via float planes late in the season, prepare for a long stay. I got caught on Afognak one time. The lake iced over, not heavy enough for skis and too thick for floats. A thin skim of ice will tear up floats. Had to spend an extra week until the flying outfit to took me out finely sent the coast guard after me.

I will say, one of the best hunts I was ever on was via boat on the Big Souix. I spent nearly a week setting on the bank watching beaver build a damn. Not much hunting but an enjoyable trip.

Caribau up by Lake Louise is pretty good if you can get a tag.

Can't think of anything else right off hand except to say, its the hunt that makes a hunt, not the kill. Moose are nothing but work when you get one down. I killed one across the Nenana river from Lignite (North of Healy). It took me three days to get it to the boat so I could take it across the river and home.

I'm too old for that now, hunting is better in Wyoming and I can use my horse for the heavy lifting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; July 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old July 30, 2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Creeper

Is it just me, or should kraigwy write a book about his time in Alaska?

Good on ya' Kraig,
C
Old July 31, 2012, 02:27 AM   #7
moose fat

Try this site. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum.php?

The first site mentioned is for sale. I am a member on the above site but its geared towards those on the road system, a good site.

Last edited by moose fat; July 31, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old July 31, 2012, 04:18 AM   #8
stevelyn

Hunt, trap........ don't bother fishing much anymore though except for using a skate with multiple gangions for subsistence halibut.

I have friends who commercial fish for salmon. All I have to do is show up at the dock with a tote.

This year's first batch of kippered red salmon or sockeye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10365.JPG (172.4 KB, 23 views)

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 31, 2012, 04:48 AM   #9
1911Alaska

Thanks guys!

Hey Stevelyn, How long is that salmon good for when it is stored sealed in one of those glass containers? Does it ever go bad? If so how long?
Old July 31, 2012, 08:07 AM   #10
Doyle

Quote:
Hey Stevelyn, How long is that salmon good for when it is stored sealed in one of those glass containers? Does it ever go bad? If so how long?
If you are talking about home canning, then it will last a couple of years or more although quality might decline over time. I've a pretty avid home canner. There is a great video on Youtube about home canning salmon put out by the state of Alaska. If you are going to get into home canning, get the right equipment and learn to do it right. Doing it wrong will get you killed.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Isk

1911Alaska,

I work in Kenai. I don't hunt either, but I have plenty of friends and acquaintances that do. What are you looking to bag?
Old August 1, 2012, 07:12 AM   #12
stevelyn

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Those are widemouth, half-pint Kerr canning jars. I use the half-pints because it allows me to be a little more stingy with the moochers that hit me up. A bag of sticky ribbon bows and tags and you have 12 Christmas presents per case. But if you have a family, full pints might be better for your own use.

As long as they remain sealed and kept in a cool dry place, they should be safe indefinitely. But as Doyle said the quality could drop over time as with any other canned food product. I've cracked open jars that were 5-10 years old and it was still good. In my opinion the glass jars extend shelf life over cans.

BTW you're more than welcome to come over to the Alaska Outdoors Forums. I'm over there too.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.