The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #26
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
foxs will just hide on a limb and are easy to shoot, are bigger and alittle tougher when theyre really mature.
Good point and something to add is a fox squirrel maybe easy in a tree setting but if it makes its way to the ground he is a runner/escapist for sure!
Old January 23, 2012, 09:12 PM   #27
Hog Buster

While I never gave it much thought, over the years I’ve seen many more than 2 varieties of squirrel. Cat and Fox ain’t the only ones. Out west I’ve seen some really different looking ones from what we have around here. I have an idea that regionally there may be more differences than one might think.

Here, in the yard, we have Reds, down the road where I deer hunt, they’re Grays and southeast a ways they’re Fox. Cats are the smallest, gray in color and are tender. Red are a bit larger, rusty red in color and only a bit less tender. Fox are somewhat large, red fox red with a white nose or face, white tips on ears and generally have a white tip on the tail. While very edible they’re not as tender as the others, also harder to spot when hunting.

When hunting them Cat and Red are runners, Fox like to be still and hide. Most youngsters here learn to hunt by hunting squirrels. It teaches them to be quiet, sneak thru the woods, and use their ears along with their eyes. Best time to hunt them is after a rain. Every move they make provides a shower of drops.

Lord knows how many squirrels I have killed or eaten over the years. The tender ones you fry, you make a gumbo with the others. Talk about good......
Old January 23, 2012, 09:24 PM   #28
jrothWA

Darn it, You let the cat out of the bag!!!

Now, can you help me with trying to duplicate a recipe, that was in Field & Stream from the early 70's?

Its squirrel baked in cider, as I recall cut the squirrel in pieces and brown in oil/bacon grease, after flouring and spices first, then place in a casserole and cover with cider (not hard, that's for later). I think a there was some bay leaf added and other spices but not sure. Recall serving with chilles cranberry sauce and wild rice (or Rice-a-roni).

Any recommendations?

What firearms you use, shotgun and or rifle? Each is desirable and have limitations, prefer the rifle as it requires better stalking and (getting in tune) with the woods.

Welcome and have fun.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:40 PM   #29
Hog Buster

Google is your friend. Try putting in “Squirrel Recipes” you will get 2,850,000 hits. Take your pick.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:57 PM   #30
huntinaz

Quote:
Squirrel from an all-pine forrest will taste nasty
This has not been my experience. Maybe AZ pines taste better than FL pines?
Old January 23, 2012, 10:39 PM   #31
Doyle

Quote:
This has not been my experience. Maybe AZ pines taste better than FL pines?
Yes, AZ pines are MUCH different than eastern pines. Eastern pines (slash, longleaf, shortleaf, etc) are heavy on turpentine. That is where commercial turpentine is comes from. When the squirrels eat the seeds out of the pinecones, they get a good does of that turpentine in their system and it taints the meat.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:54 PM   #32
huntinaz

Quote:
When the squirrels eat the seeds out of the pinecones, they get a good does of that turpentine in their system and it taints the meat.
Mmmmm, tasty!
Old January 24, 2012, 10:41 PM   #33
treg

Man, I thought I was the only one!

I love hunting the little buggers, on foot and on my horse. I have never worked an opening day in my life (resulting in loss of employment in my younger days) and would just as soon take a day squirrel hunting as deer hunting. From warm fall days to waist deep snow in the winter I'm there. It's relaxing, far more action than deer hunting, and there's the instant gratification of cleaning and cooking as soon as I get back to the house. I do hunt other small game, fur, fowl and deer but the squirrels are my favorite.
Old January 28, 2012, 07:26 PM   #34
biohazurd

Its not my favorite but ive had a few fantastic dishes. Most my squirrels i harvest turn into dog food for the dobies...
Old January 28, 2012, 10:45 PM   #35
deerslayer303

Had Squirrel tonight for dinner, fried, then simmered in homemade gravy then threw it on a bed of rice.mmmmm mmmm mmmm. I went out shot 3 brought em back cleaned em up threw em in a salt water bath then cooked em you can't get much fresher than that
Old January 29, 2012, 08:04 PM   #36
mr.t7024

Why I ear squirrels

Well stated! Cliff
Old January 30, 2012, 10:37 PM   #37
603Country

For many years I was of the opinion that Fox squirrels tasted better than Cat Squirrels. Don't ask me why I thought that, cause I can't remember. Last year, while being in a rather mild fireside 'discussion' about what tasted better, I offered to settle the issue once and for all. A few days later I went out back on my place, to an area I call Squirrel Heaven, and I shot 3 or 4 Fox Squirrels and about the same number of Cat Squirrels. Yes, it took me most of the next day, but detailed scientific testing can't be done in a rush. We already had a couple of Cottontail Rabbits in the freezer. After the cooking and taste testing, we (as a group) decided that the order of good taste was: Cottontail, followed by Cat Squirrel, followed by Fox Squirrel. If you had to add Raccoon to that list, I'd put it between the rabbit and the Fox Squirrel.

I saw that someone on this chat was from Buffalo, Texas. I live close to there and was just there last Thursday evening to meet and drink wine and beer with a bunch of old friends. If anyone heard a lot of gunfire about 5 miles south of Buffalo, that was us, prior to the wine and beer (and ribeye steaks). It was target shooting, not personal disagreements.
Old January 31, 2012, 05:33 AM   #38
treg

My next culinary adventure will be General Tso's Squirrel.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #39
C0untZer0

Speaking of buffalo... it's the best meat I've had.

Beats eating squirrel...
Old February 15, 2012, 06:41 PM   #40
.243 Jake

yumm

I go for squirrel often with a breakbarrel pellet rifle. i have one reason for eating them. THEY ARE DELICIOUS! greys have the meat, but reds have the flavor. try marinading them then fry it till its brown. then wrap it in foil and bake it. best meat besides goose.
Old February 15, 2012, 06:46 PM   #41
.243 Jake

they don't run once their dead. get good at long range spotting with binoculars, and sniping with a .22 or pellet rifle, they don't run. they just fall.
Old February 15, 2012, 08:27 PM   #42
Hunter Customs

I have not ate any squirrel meat for a long time, used to eat them all the time when I was a kid.

Squirrel and gravy along with fried potatoes and biscuits, man was that ever good.

There was an old man that lived up in the hills south of St. Joseph that I would take squirrels to every now and then.
He used to make what he called squirrel head gravy, he used to offer me some but I never could bring myself to try any.

This thread has got me to thinking about squirrel hunting again, thanks for starting it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 15, 2012, 11:59 PM   #43
shortwave

+1 on what Doyle stated about the eastern pines.

Around these parts, don't eat the squirrels out of the pines. Very nasty tasting and I've not found anything to soak them in to make them edible. Not salt water,vinegar,milk...nothing!
Old February 16, 2012, 09:52 AM   #44
TX Hunter

I like to grill Squirrel, you skin them and open them all the way take the head off. Rub them down with salt and pepper, or seasoning of your choice. Get your coals just right with charcoil, and a few small split chunks of white oak. Start grilling with the squirrel belly down, when the edges start to brown flip him over and brown the other side, have the lid closed on your grill for a good smoke and dont leave the squirrel too long. If you time it right the meat will be tender and juicy. Too bad the seasons over.
Old February 16, 2012, 10:23 AM   #45
abelacres

Squirrels in my yard taste just fine to me- we have a mix of oaks and pines... I've never heard of the difference in taste due to diet.

Never parboiled or baked them either. Just flour and fry same as everything else we eat

My dad said his grandmother would scold him and my cousin for shooting them in the head....apparently she enjoyed squirrel brains and eggs for breakfast...
Old February 16, 2012, 05:18 PM   #46
shortwave

Quote:
I've never heard of the difference in taste due to diet
Diet will affect the taste and texture of any wild or domestic meat.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:56 PM   #47
Hunter Customs

I checked this morning and Missouri season closed the 15 of this month.
So I guess I'll be waiting till next season to get some squirrels, in the mean time I'll be doing some practice shooting with one of my favorite rimfires.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 19, 2012, 06:04 AM   #48
Geezerbiker

Fox squirrels are considered an invasive species here in Oregon. That means they're like a varmint and can be hunted year round.

As soon as I'm sure I can identify them and find a place to hunt them, I will be stalking squirrel with my .22 Hornet...

Tony
Old February 20, 2012, 07:49 PM   #49
treg

Got three grays this weekend.

Eating General Tsao's squirrel over rice as this is written.