The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 4, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Gary Slider

FYI - Nevada No Longer Honors Arizona

On February 28, 2013 the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ association voted unanimously to end the recognition of Arizona concealed weapon permits. Effective the date of this release the State of Nevada will no longer recognize
Arizona concealed weapon permits. www.handgunlaw.us will be updated later this evening to reflect this change in who honors who. You can read the News Release Here: http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/Docs...ecognition.pdf
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
HarrySchell

Thanks, Gary!
Old March 4, 2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Buzzard

Thanks, I had no idea.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Willie Sutton

On February 28, 2013 the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ association voted unanimously to end the recognition of Arizona concealed weapon permits.

So... let me get this straight... when did the "Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ association" begin to write the rules for the great state of Nevada?

There's a name for a state where the police make the rules. It's called a Police State.

What am I missing here?

Willie

Old March 5, 2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton
So... let me get this straight... when did the "Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ association" begin to write the rules for the great state of Nevada?

There's a name for a state where the police make the rules. It's called a Police State.

What am I missing here?
What you're missing is the information on Nevada law at www.handgunlaw.us, which is linked in the OP. The law (passed by the Nevada legislature) gives the the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association the authority to set the standards for required training courses.
A sheriff may not approve a course in firearm safety pursuant to subparagraph (1) unless he determines that the course meets any standards that are established by the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, or if the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association ceases to exist, its legal successor.
If you read the press release they issued, you'll see that they determined that Arizona's training requirements are no longer up to their standards.

Nothing to see here, police-state-wise.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
CowTowner

The did the same thing to Texas.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 5, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
hbhobby

I guess i am confused. Az no longer requires a carry permit to carry concealed
Old March 5, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8
MLeake

Georgia runs into similar problems with several states, to include SC, because Georgia has no training requirement. This can be a reciprocity killer, even though it (shall issue with no training requirement) appeals to those of us who believe in a much stronger RKBA.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
noelf2

Quote:
I guess i am confused. Az no longer requires a carry permit to carry concealed
They don't, but Arizona still offers a permit so AZ citizens can carry in other states that recognize their permit. Nevada no longer does.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:04 AM   #10
AH.74

Quote:
They don't, but Arizona still offers a permit so AZ citizens can carry in other states that recognize their permit.
Also, if you have the license you can CC into certain locations which are off-limits without a license in AZ, such as alcohol establishments.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Georgia runs into similar problems with several states, to include SC, because Georgia has no training requirement.
Actually, the problem with South Carolina isn't the lack of a training requirement on Georgia's part, but the mechanism by which SLED approves and issues licenses.

Adding a training requirement is not a guarantee that Georgia licenses will be accepted.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:09 PM   #12
MLeake

It isn't the only issue, but from what I read in the SC requirements it is one of the issues.