The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 5, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Miller77

10/22 Misfire

I have had my 10/22 for acouple of years now. I havent had any problems with it except that it frequently misfires. It is not uncommon to have at least one misfire per magazine. I have even had up to 3 in a row. My first thought was the ammo so i went to the gun shop and bought some remington, winchester and cci. i still had misfires though. Should i try swapping out the firingpin? or could something else be to blame?
Old May 5, 2009, 09:29 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

First thing to do is look at the failures to see if the dent is full depth... next, rotate the failures and try again... .22 ammo is not getting the quality control attention it deserves it seems...
Also, do a full, DEEP cleaning of all moving parts and re-oil lightly. If these don't help maybe a part needs repaired/replaced.
Brent
Old May 5, 2009, 09:34 AM   #3
CortJestir

What kind of "misfire"? Failure to eject? Failure to fire? Failure to feed?

Aside from the deep cleaning hogdogs mentioned, have you tried different magazines? I tend to stick with Ruger factory 10-rounders as they seem to be the most reliable.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Dingoboyx

+1 Hogdogs, 'onya Brent

If someone has been dry firing the rifle, they may have peined the breech face where the pin strikes, or chipped of a piece of the firing pin. Like HD said, look at the dent the pin is making in the case and see if it getting a full pin strike, nice and deep.... and look at the breech face where the pin would strike and see if there is a dent in the steel (peining)

The ammo might be old, or have been stored incorrectly (damp) but you wont know til you look for pin/breechface problems first

Yes, try another firing pin, hopefully the pin (easily replaced) is the culprit, if the breech face is badly peined, that would be Baaaaaad, I guess a smith would have to rebuild the BF?

Let us know how you get on, what the problem was
Old May 5, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Picher

The cause may be one or a combination of thngs. You need to check the following:

The problem is usually gunk in the firing pin raceway, on the bolt face, or breech face. Clean, clean, clean!

-Examine a shell that's been fired or a round that failed to fire. Is the pin strike deep and located just below the fold of the rim? If not, is it wide and very long? It could be too big, spreading the energy over too wide an area. If so, hone, or carefully grind the pin to produce a narrower strike and grind a bit off the top, so it doesn't contact the fold of the shell.

-Is there excessive vertical movement of the pin in it's most forward position? If so, get a cold chisel and a heavy hammer and deepen the stake marks in the top of the bolt until vertical pin movement is only a few thousanths when fully forward.

-Is the action and firing pin raceway clean and dry? Gunk accumulates around the firing pin, creating frictioin and sapping energy.

-Is the hammer strut clean and without burrs? If not, clean and hone the sharp edges.

-Does the hammer spring seem weak (compare with other 10-22s)? If so, replace.

Picher
Old May 5, 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
srt 10 jimbo

Might be the magazine too Had problems with the hot lips when they were brand new and ammo both have now ceased to be a problem. CCI ammo seems to work the best in my 10/22 also the steele lips work the best too
Old May 5, 2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Miller77

yeah sorry i didnt clarify: its a failure to fire. Ill try giving it a good "DEEP" cleaning and headout to the range sometime in the near future.

Thanks for all the help
Old June 28, 2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Miller77

So, I called ruger and they sent me a new factory firing pin for free (great customer service). I just have to swap the pins and see if that helps. What's the best way to remove the firing pin? How do I knock out the pin holding it in?
Thanks
Old June 28, 2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
What's the best way to remove the firing pin? How do I knock out the pin holding it in?
Remove the action from the stock, push out the two pins holding the trigger group iin place, pull the charging handle to the rear and lift out the bolt, push the firing pin retainer out, replace the firing pin, replace the firing pin retainer pin, replace the bolt in the action, replace the trigger group, replace the trigger group pins, replace the action in the stock. Total time: either 5 minutes or 3 hours, depending entirely on you.
Old June 28, 2009, 12:29 PM   #10
CortJestir

Quote:
What's the best way to remove the firing pin? How do I knock out the pin holding it in?
Some good stuff from Scorch, there.

If you need photos, though. This might help: 10/22 Bolt, Firing Pin tear down. Just ignore the blatant product advertising.
Old June 28, 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Pahoo

Quote:
What kind of "misfire"? Failure to eject? Failure to fire? Failure to feed?
There is only one kind of "misfire" and that is failure to fire !!!
hogdogs & Picher Have provided some good starting points.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 1, 2012, 05:08 PM   #12
mellowlane

1022 miss fires

I half been shooting a highly modified 1022 for years..don't blame the amo..Most lose trac of the number of rounds ran through the mag..spend 12 bucks (with shipping) or 6 bucks at the store and replace your hammer spring..Bet you a beer or a coffee that this will solve your problem..post after post complaining about amo but ever notice nobody with a new rifle?? Vollquartsen newest is teflon coated and works well..just a note..when your Golden Rem or your CCI quit the Federal Champions will still fire. Don't blame the gun or the amo for your problems..some will say no primer in the Rem Goldens..never found this in clicks without the bang. The hammer spring is a two min do it yourself project..lots of on line support if u need it.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:32 PM   #13
uncyboo

I'm thinkin' since the OP hasn't posted in his thread in almost 3 years he figured out his problem.....
Old March 2, 2012, 02:10 AM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
pull the charging handle to the rear and lift out the bolt, push the firing pin retainer out,
I think you have to drift out the bolt stop pin first.