The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2000, 04:23 PM   #1
dwestfall

Okay, this is a little different and could probably apply to any rifle-mounted light, but...

My 870 has a SureFire fore-end without the "disable" switch.

I have it sitting in the front of my safe for speedy access. On the door to my safe I have attached cheap holsters for handguns. Turns out that when the door closed, one of the handguns activated the SureFire on the shotgun. I had recently put a P61 bulb in it, and when I opened the safe about 15 minutes later, the SureFire was too hot to touch.

I don't know if it could have started a fire before the batteries ran out (doubtful) but it certainly could have depleted the batteries and burned out the bulb which I'm sure I would discover when I needed it most.

Anyway, for those who wonder "Does the light in the fridge stay on when I close the door," the answer is "Maybe!"
Old February 5, 2000, 11:14 PM   #2
Ivanhoe

another outcome is to partially melt the lens. SureFires are not designed for continuous operation; they generate more heat than can be removed by natural convection. just part of the downside to such a powerful, compact light.

Old February 6, 2000, 01:02 AM   #3
dwestfall

Do you know if the lamps themselves have a limited life? ie do they burn out after xx minutes?
Old February 6, 2000, 10:14 AM   #4
Blue Jays

Good Morning Everyone-

Yes, users of Sure-Fire lights must be vigilant to be certain that the lights are not switched-on at inappropriate times.

On more than one occasion, I've seen a glow coming through a black ballistic nylon bag that I use to carry gear. Lo and behold, it's my Sure-Fire 9N that has something pressing against the rear switch!

The lens area can get extremely hot, not to mention the aluminum body of the flashlight.

Your best bet is to either carry the lights on your hip or keep them in your hand. If anyone has determined a better solution for the carry of Sure-Fire lights, we would certainly be "all ears."

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old February 6, 2000, 11:44 AM   #5
dwestfall

Didn't I hear of a "lockout tail switch" on their website?
Old February 6, 2000, 10:08 PM   #6
Sea Bass

I do the same thing Erick. I just unscrew the bottom cap a little more to prevent accidental discharge. I once found my 6p on while in it's holster. The lens didn't melt but the surrounding top portion of the light was extremely hot.